Greater control over what goes in to containers

Post here your suggestions for future Towns releases

Greater control over what goes in to containers

Postby Wolfy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:07 pm

I didn't find anything quite like what I'm about to suggest, but if it's just me being blind or using the wrong keywords, please let me know so I can link to the appropriate thread(s). XD

Anyway, have you guys ever played any of Sierra's city builders? Pharaoh? Zeus? The Roman one I forget the name of offhand?
In those games, there were granaries and storage yards. And no, I'm not suggesting Towns add those things (though I wouldn't object). Rather, I'm after the level of control you had over those buildings.
If you're not familiar, basically, the granary stored food and the storage yard stored materials and finished goods. You could disallow things at specific granaries and storage yards, just like you can with barrels and chests in Towns. However, there was an added little thing you could do...you could set the buildings to allow 1/4 or 1/2 of it to be filled with a particular good. You could also tell the buildings to "get" specific goods. Like say, you have a storage yard near a potter. The potter is not close to the clay pits. So you tell the storage yard to "get" clay. The workers there will then go out looking for other storage yards with clay, and take it from that one and place it in the other storage yard, near the potter, so the potter has better access to the clay it needs.

I'd really like that level of control over containers in Towns.
I'd like to be able to tell a specific barrel to fill up no more than 50% wood and 50% stone. Or have a barrel that's 25% sugar, 25% wheat, and 50% flour. Or whatever. And I'd like to be able to tell a specific barrel to prioritize wood over other things. I don't care if the barrel also has flowers, mud and sand, but I want townies to move wood out of other barrels and IN to this one when possible. And so on.
Wolfy

Location: All you need to know is I'm in Eastern Standard Time.

Re: Greater control over what goes in to containers

Postby halecj » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Good suggestion but it won't really make much of a difference on the vanilla game with barrels only being able to hold 10 of whatever.

A useful but simple thing to do would be to allow us to select multiple containers of the same type and be able to check off the things we want to put in them all at once, rather than having to set 20 barrels to collect wood, one by one.
halecj

Postby Wolfy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Yes, that too. ^^ That would definitely be helpful as well.
Wolfy

Postby Jon_jon13 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Caesar III, Zeus and Pharaoh. Played (and loved!) all 3 of them, and the feature you suggest would be pretty cool. It could even be a similar menu as in those games, for all that matters...

Basically having an order to "always try to have this specific container full", instead of just "stockpile this material in whatever container", so you can have a couple barrels of available wood next to the carpentry, and then some more barrels in a store room on the other side of the town just to have an extra stock, but without wasting useful space close to the stations. Now that we can have dedicated haulers, this seems really useful and possible :)

The point is, if someone doesn't understand so far, haulers should prioritize the "always full" containers over the "just stock" ones. In the previous example they'll be even getting wood out of the "stock" ones and taking it to the carpentry, so carpenters can use that wood easily and fast
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby Wolfy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Yes, you have it exactly. :3 You could put barrels or stockpiles next to their sources for quick and easy cleanup. You could put barrels in the work shops that workers could haul things from the source to the shop later. ^_^
Wolfy

Postby Zelman89 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Sounds like we need a level 2 container that holds more and would allow those options.
Zelman89

Postby Wolfy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Well the majority of people who do any kind of modding increase the limit to containers. But I think this idea is still useful for a vanilla game...at least as far as setting a container to have priority on a certain item...like making townies prioritize barrels by the carpentry when hauling wood. Even if the "fill 1/4" or "fill 1/2" isn't useful in vanilla, I maintain the other aspect of this idea IS. ^_^
Wolfy

Postby TheWesDude » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:57 am

simpler suggestion would be an option to auto-set containers to match whats allowed on the stockpile.

create stockpiles, only allow the container.

fill up stockpile with containers, then start modifying the stockpile and it would auto-modify the containers for you.

i think that would be far easier to implement.
TheWesDude

Postby Wolfy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:03 pm

I don't use stockpiles. Just containers. I wouldn't like it if the only way to have control over containers was via stockpiles. I like to put prepared food containers directly in the dining room and tavern, for example.
Wolfy

Postby Sanzul » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:23 am

halecj wrote:A useful but simple thing to do would be to allow us to select multiple containers of the same type and be able to check off the things we want to put in them all at once, rather than having to set 20 barrels to collect wood, one by one.

Some kind of grouping feature for containers would be useful. Possibly similar to how job/soldier grouping works. You create a "smithy barrel" group and then add all smithy barrels to it.
Sanzul

Return to Suggestions