Uniforms for Groups

Post here your suggestions for future Towns releases

Uniforms for Groups

Postby Sephlington » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:43 pm

With the new groups system, it's easier to set townies to work on their jobs together, but it's still hard to tell which is which group. It'd be good to have a system in the groups menu (which can also be applied to guard groups, too) to set up uniforms for jobs. The most intuitive method I can come up with would be to pop up a box to set the type for each section that can be equipped (head, body, legs, feet, weapon), and then to specify which types (wood, iron, vanity, special) that group is allowed. When it comes to weapons or vanity objects, you could tell them to pick from any of them or specify certain ones, akin to the storage system we already have. Then, when auto-equip is hit, if their group has a uniform, they're restricted to what you specified.

This would allow surface dwellers like farmers or lumberjacks to be lightly equipped, with a lovely hat coloured for their grouping and a bamboo staff, whilst miners can have a bit more protection and haulers could have iron armour to stand a chance if they wander too deep into the dungeons, and the guards can have matching armour if we wish for such.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this feels like it wouldn't be too hard to add, draws from existing features as much and as closely as possible, and would be fairly easy and useful to understand and actually use in-game. If you want more clarification, just ask, I'll try and work out a less wordy and more concise way of explaining it :D
Sephlington

Re: Uniforms for Groups

Postby Jon_jon13 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:02 am

Actually, I've been putting uniforms on my job groups.

The white bandana for chefs, straw hat for farmers, stone hammers for builders, boots of haste for haulers, etc. xD
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby tekanji » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 am

I think that's a good idea for the way that jobs currently work.

Personally, I'd like to see special vanity items that give production bonuses. Like, a set of Chef's Hat, Chef's Apron, Chef's Pants, and Chef's Boots that make Cooking and Baking items go 1% ~ 5% faster (with their effects stackable, obviously). The same could be done for, like, a Farmer's Set (makes tilling and harvesting faster), Carpenter's Set (woodcutting and items made in the Carpentry zone are faster), etc. etc.

I think the vanity items could be modded in, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think the current XML files allow items to modify production times.
My Mods:
Name Dictionaries
Relacement Townie Graphics Under Development
tekanji

Postby YetiChow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 am

If by "uniforms" you mean a single box which you can check to have everyone equip that item, then +1 million. I always give my guard groups and job groups (or "guilds" as I call them, since each one only does a limited set of jobs) uniforms, but doing it manually is a P.I.T.A. - especially when the uniform is somehting like a feather hat or bone gear which takes ages to build...

Individually equipping the townies should override this set equipment, but auto-equipping the group should cause everyone to search for and equip the uniform if they can... it should only happen when you auto-equip the group however IMO, not just the individual townies and not automatically; so that you don't have towneis running into the dungeon as soon as the uniform is available.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Sephlington » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Jon_jon13 wrote:Actually, I've been putting uniforms on my job groups.

The white bandana for chefs, straw hat for farmers, stone hammers for builders, boots of haste for haulers, etc. xD

I want to do it, but I don't want to have to do it manually for each townie whenever I add them to a group. Part of why I was suggesting it was because a lot of people DO seem to make uniforms for each group, but the game doesn't yet have a way to actually set uniforms for said group :)

YetiChow wrote:If by "uniforms" you mean a single box which you can check to have everyone equip that item, then +1 million. I always give my guard groups and job groups (or "guilds" as I call them, since each one only does a limited set of jobs) uniforms, but doing it manually is a P.I.T.A. - especially when the uniform is somehting like a feather hat or bone gear which takes ages to build...

Individually equipping the townies should override this set equipment, but auto-equipping the group should cause everyone to search for and equip the uniform if they can... it should only happen when you auto-equip the group however IMO, not just the individual townies and not automatically; so that you don't have towneis running into the dungeon as soon as the uniform is available.

Precisely, it's a hassle when there's systems that could be easily implemented to make it work :) How exactly the override should work (simply changing manually, or a single townie's autoequip) is a balance issue I'm not fussed either way about, but with random armour & weapon drops from monsters I certainly agree it shouldn't be automatic. :)
Sephlington

Postby justatownie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:52 am

With the new groups system, it's easier to set townies to work on their jobs together, but it's still hard to tell which is which group.

not sure if this is already been suggest but when you right click a guard is say something like "tom townington (group 1)" can we have this with citizens so that we get
"tom townington (baker)"
justatownie

Postby Sanzul » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:23 am

Jon_jon13 wrote:The white bandana for chefs, straw hat for farmers, stone hammers for builders, boots of haste for haulers, etc. xD

Sounds similar to mine. White bandanas for chefs, straw hats for farmers, green hats for animal tenders, feathered hats for crafters, blue hats for general laborers. Helmets, boots of haste and good weapons for haulers, as they tend to get in trouble more often than other workers.

tekanji wrote:Personally, I'd like to see special vanity items that give production bonuses. Like, a set of Chef's Hat, Chef's Apron, Chef's Pants, and Chef's Boots that make Cooking and Baking items go 1% ~ 5% faster (with their effects stackable, obviously). The same could be done for, like, a Farmer's Set (makes tilling and harvesting faster), Carpenter's Set (woodcutting and items made in the Carpentry zone are faster), etc. etc.

I prefer the items without bonuses, to keep the sandbox theme of allowing you to do what you want (including creating work groups based on what you need instead of what gets the most out of various bonuses), rather than encouraging min/maxing where every town has similarly dressed workers for the stat bonuses. I'd love to see more vanity items like chefs' hats, but I'd prefer it if they didn't have any impact on the game beyond looks.

justatownie wrote:not sure if this is already been suggest but when you right click a guard is say something like "tom townington (group 1)" can we have this with citizens so that we get
"tom townington (baker)"

I use color coded hats for this purpose. If someone with a green hat shows up, I know it's an animal tender. If the hat is red with a feather, I know it's a crafter.
Sanzul

Return to Suggestions