Batch creation for cooking, colors, etc.

Post here your suggestions for future Towns releases

Batch creation for cooking, colors, etc.

Postby tekanji » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Right now every item, no matter what it is, can only be created in single units. Logically, it makes no sense. I mean, who bakes just one cookie (or one serving of cookies)? In game, it also means the townies waste time going back and forth for ingredients to create one item that is immediately consumed (baking and cooking, I'm looking at you). It also makes it hard to do things like create a food surplus (which could allow cooks and bakers downtime, which would increase their happiness) and create a variety of foods (which even with v11 still isn't all that important, but I figure that's something the devs will continue to work on).

So, I propose batch item creation for most consumables. Instead of hauling up one flour and one egg to make one serving of cookies (my cookie-loving soul cringes at that), you haul up a bunch of ingredients at once to make a dozen cookies.

Here are some sample recipes:
  • Red Color [8 red flowers/gels] Makes 5 units of color
  • Green Color [8 green gels OR 4 yellow flowers, 4 blue flowers] Makes 5 units of color
  • Fruit Pies [6 Flour, 3 Fruit] Makes 6 slices
  • Cookies [3 Eggs, 3 Sugar, 6 Flour] Makes 12 cookies
  • Roast [1 Raw Steak, 1 Raw Pork, 1 Raw Poultry] Makes 2 servings
  • Ham and Eggs [6 Eggs, 1 Raw Pork] Makes 6 servings
  • Mushroom Soup [6 Mushrooms, 3 Water/Milk] Makes 4 servings

In terms of automated production, if you ask to always have 5 cookies available then one townie will make 12 cookies and then everyone will make other stuff until the amount of cookies available goes below 5. While this will obviously require some balancing in terms of things like cook time and each food's fill value, I think ultimately it will make cooking and baking go a lot more smoothly on all fronts.
My Mods:
Name Dictionaries
Relacement Townie Graphics Under Development
tekanji

Re: Batch creation for cooking, colors, etc.

Postby Dremire » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:24 pm

That would require batch creation in general, which is not yet supported. Can be done with creating item spawner, like fruit farming currently works, but some items will be annihilated in the clutter ( :? like fruit farming currently works).
Dremire

Postby tekanji » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:45 am

Dremire wrote:That would require batch creation in general, which is not yet supported.

Um, yes. That was my point. I specified consumables since I don't think that non-consumables should be able to be batch created (although obviously the amount would be settable for all items in the XML file, so modders could mix and match however they wanted).

Dremire wrote:Can be done with creating item spawner, like fruit farming currently works, but some items will be annihilated in the clutter ( :? like fruit farming currently works).

Yeah, I'm not really interested in trying to hack something like that because of that very reason. Although that could be solved with (I presume) relative ease by the devs making items stackable (visually if two of the same items occupied the same square the devs could have a little number "2" display kind of live the inventory items in Dungeons of Dredmore).

I'm not entirely sure how things would work code wise (since I don't know how they manage the map location/item link), but it seems like all it would need is for the link to be changed into a table or linked list of the item type in order to allow for multiple items (up to whatever the stack maximum is for that particular item) to be linked to the same location.

So, for example, right now you have:
[Map coordinates] <- linked somehow to -> [1 Item of something]

For stackables, it would need to be:
[Map coordinates] <- linked somehow to -> [A Table Or Linked List]
Inside the [Table Or Linked List] would be up to [Max Number Of Stackables] of the items currently placed on that location.

Honestly it shouldn't be that hard a change to make, unless they are doing something seriously weird with the way they track items placed on the map.
My Mods:
Name Dictionaries
Relacement Townie Graphics Under Development
tekanji

Postby Wolfy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:52 pm

I actually stumbled across another post where someone wanted to be able to click and hold to increase the numbers of things being made (which I'd like), and someone else had commented that if you hold shift while you click, it adds 5 instead of 1. I tried it. It's true. So that helps, lol. @_@
Wolfy

Location: All you need to know is I'm in Eastern Standard Time.

Postby Sanzul » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:30 am

tekanji wrote:In game, it also means the townies waste time going back and forth for ingredients to create one item that is immediately consumed (baking and cooking, I'm looking at you). It also makes it hard to do things like create a food surplus (which could allow cooks and bakers downtime, which would increase their happiness)...

I always assumed that this was intentional. Basic survival is a pretty big part of the game, so it makes sense that a very large fraction of your townies would be occupied with providing food.

I just think of the food items in terms of arbitrary units. A pear tree isn't going to produce just one pear, so "pear" is obviously representative of an arbitrary number of pears. Similarly, "bread" doesn't necessarily mean just one loaf, because that's not going to require a whole sack of flour.
Sanzul

Return to Suggestions