Equipping Heroes

Post here your suggestions for future Towns releases

Equipping Heroes

Postby kyattbeast » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:13 am

I'm sure people have suggested this before but I figure the more posts the larger chance they will put it in the game.

We should be able to pick the weapons and armor our heroes use so that they don't just equip it by luck. I believe it should be put in because say you want to have a main champion hero and nobody is picking up better weapons or armor. You can't just have cloth-less heroes that can't take the slightest bit of damage or carry a proper weapon that can dish it back with power to take on hordes.

So please if any Developer is reading this please bring it up or just work on it. I think it would be a great improvement and would love any other ideas about heroes on this post.
kyattbeast

Re: Equipping Heroes

Postby lulitsian » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 am

I'm pretty sure they're going to implement some sort of questing system where you can give the gear to them as rewards for doing stuff or something. It's definitely going to happen before the game is completed.

As for now, just wait till the hero is idling, and equip one of your soldiers with the said gear. Then set the soldier on patrol and make them go to where the hero is. Unequip your soldier so he places the gear on the ground next to the hero, and (if the gear's level is higher than what the hero is currently wearing?) the hero should walk up to it and pick it up, regardless of their mortality. You can use this to quickly equip your heroes with BiS gear early on and make grinding so much easier, faster, and safer for them.

Now we just need a reliable way to manipulate prefixes and suffixes on gear. :U
lulitsian

Postby kiraen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:13 am

kyattbeast wrote:I'm sure people have suggested this before but I figure the more posts the larger chance they will put it in the game.

We should be able to pick the weapons and armor our heroes use so that they don't just equip it by luck. I believe it should be put in because say you want to have a main champion hero and nobody is picking up better weapons or armor. You can't just have cloth-less heroes that can't take the slightest bit of damage or carry a proper weapon that can dish it back with power to take on hordes.

So please if any Developer is reading this please bring it up or just work on it. I think it would be a great improvement and would love any other ideas about heroes on this post.

Yes, it has been suggested. Response: Not going to happen. It's completely contrary to the devs vision of the game. And since they are doing all the work, I guess we can let them have a say in things ;) The idea is that you have no direct control over the heroes at all, and only limited control over the townies.
kiraen

Postby Jon_jon13 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 am

I think the intended feature for this is that heroes will trade the items they find in the dungeon and get money, then spend the money to buy equip. This way townies won't have to do the cleanup and heroes get equipped, win-win situation. But anyway, that's something only time will tell :P
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby marshall » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:11 am

My biggest issue with the game so far is the lack of customalisation you can do on heroes.

Right now i play the game like this:
-Dig to new level
-Put 15 well equipped villagers at entrance
-Let heroes suicide with their random picked up gear (or not gear) until the level is cleared
marshall

Postby mad_genius » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:15 pm

Currently you can "encourage" your heroes to equip some gear by placing some armor and weapons cabinets or "storage zones" close to the places where they hang around.

Place some cabinets in the tavern zone or balcony (if you have a balcony close to your arena) and heroes will eventually "see" the cabinets, while they're eating in the tavern or watching a badger fight from the balcony, and equip some gear stored in those cabinets.

I currently have a town where I don't have a arena+balcony yet, so my heroes (only 3 for now since it's still a small town) tend to hang around in the market besides eating in the tavern. I don't have any cabinets in the tavern but my heroes usually end up equiping gear that I buy from merchants and is thrown into the market zone.
I was able to get one of them to equip a bone helmet dropped by some spidder by creating a small "armor storage zone" just next to the market and tavern (they're very close to each other right now) and hauling the helmet to that zone.

Using this strategy my heroes currently are:

Knight - pigslayer helmet, blessed iron breastplate, plaguebringer sword, iron greaves;
Rogue - goblinite breastplate, bone greaves, plaguebringer sword;
Elven Archer - bone helmet, wooden breastplate, boots of haste, iron greaves, elven bow;

One thing I noticed is that different heroes tend to look for different gear. My Elven Archer seems to be happy enough with the wooden breasplate inspite having and iron breastplate on the ground nearby, may because (s)he's an archer and doesn't give a high priority to breastplate gear.

Hope it helps with your heroes.
Last edited by mad_genius on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mad_genius

Postby Jon_jon13 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:25 pm

For your last part, that's not just a priority thing. Elven heroes can't equip metal-based gear at all :P same for rogues, wizards, barbarians, etc.
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby mad_genius » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Jon_jon13 wrote:For your last part, that's not just a priority thing. Elven heroes can't equip metal-based gear at all :P same for rogues, wizards, barbarians, etc.

Oh, so that's it!

Thanks for the info.
mad_genius

Postby Busted_Bullseye » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 am

Put armour cabnets in there rooms , lock them in while sleeping.
Pay attention or they start starving, eventually they will be decked out!

My guys have the brand new bone stuff I made and will have new iron things when the mineshafts make enough , problem is some guys will not equip iron , the stupid barbarian doesnt even sleep in a room o.O
I am a martian , born and raised in Venus.
Logic you ask?
Busted_Bullseye

Return to Suggestions