What kinds of food will slaves eat when they have banana bre

General discussion about the game

What kinds of food will slaves eat when they have banana bre

Postby sumo0 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 am

ad?
In my current normal map i have 39 townies. To supply that i have 40 banana bread, 20 mountain stew and 20 mushroom soup. Townies only eat the banana bread though.
I had hoped that the mushroom soup would give them the drink fulfilled and that the mountain stew would give meat fulfilled, but if they don't eat it they get none of that:P
Any tips and or tricks to get them to eat it? Or maybe i need to not make banana bread of awesomeness?

I have a desert map going on where they will eat both cactus soup and cooked unifallow steak to get meat and drink fulfilled.
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.

www.thevenusproject.com
sumo0

Re: What kinds of food will slaves eat when they have banana

Postby Sirian » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:06 am

The townies have their favorites and non-favorites. Unfortunately, they all have exactly the same taste, in a pure display of the general weakness of computer AI. :lol: Not to pick on Towns, which actually has quite a good AI relative to most games. It's just something easy to see and difficult to improve upon.

Cookies are even worse than the banana bread. At least the banana bread is filling!

Omelettes and regular bread are at the bottom of the favorites list. You can expect these to sit unused in their barrels unless there's no other food. Banana bread is so much of a favorite, they will consume all that's available.

That's the key. They can only eat what's available! So if you queue up 2 or 3 on automatic production, only a few will be baked. They will be eaten rapidly and more get queued, so the actual ratio of that food type that gets consumed will be a lot higher than the tiny queue numbers would seem to indicate. Many townies who are hungry don't have banana bread available when their turn comes and they will eat something else. A little trial and error will help you tune the right number of banana bread (or roast, or mountain stew, or other prized foods) to keep queued. You may have to go as low as 1!

Should the Townies do a better job of diversifying their selections? Probably. But until then, you have to improvise. ... On my mixed map, I ended up removing all banana bread production for a while, as I had a glut of meat that nobody was eating. You know what helped get the townies to eat more meat? I put cooked steaks and poultry in the barrels closest to the dining room, and wallah! They started eating more of those types. So you can also be strategic about what you store nearest the dining room, vs what goes in back corners. This won't overcome the favorites issue AT ALL, but it -can- help them to choose the items you want them to eat more of, when they are choosing from several they are willing to eat.

Another tactic you can use is to manage banana bread manually. Have none made automatically, but periodically inject a one time order of X units of the bread, equal to your population size and hero count. Chances are, nearly everyone will tend to get to eat one of the breads.

- Sirian
Sirian

Postby Sanzul » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:14 am

I've never quite figured out how it works. Sometimes they seem to only eat the best food that's available, but at other times they eat multiple things. In my current town, they're eating the cactus soup, cakes, fish and steak pretty randomly. They generally prefer the fish and meat, but even if I've got 50 steak and 150 fish sitting around for a population just under 200, the soup (of which I've got 300+ in stock) still does get eaten. Meanwhile I've got 1000 bread stored for emergencies, and no one will touch that. Seems to be a combination of what's closer and what's more filling.
Sanzul

Postby sumo0 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 am

lowering the banana bread stock to 3 pretty much did the trick.

I suppose that each bonus is a set happiness bonus amiright?
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.

www.thevenusproject.com
sumo0

Postby madpainter » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:18 am

if you have your food barrels in a dining room it has the side effect that only one townie can eat from the barrel at one time.
so say for example I have four barrels with four different foods, four townies go to eat and each one will go to a different food.
That's how I do it.
madpainter

Postby Dremire » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Townies always grab food with highest <foodValue> which can be seen and tweaked in items.xml
Find and change them all to <foodValue>5</foodValue>
Code: Select all
   <bananabread>
      <foodValue>5</foodValue>
   </bananabread>

<mountainstew>
      <foodValue>4</foodValue>
   </mountainstew>

<soup>
      <foodValue>3</foodValue>
   </soup>

sumo0 wrote:I suppose that each bonus is a set happiness bonus amiright?

Each somethinghappy adds 1 or 2 happiness once in 5,7 days. It's not a bonus or multiplier, just flat +0,26 happiness/day for each food type.
Dremire

Postby saboor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:22 am

And I thought my 3x3 minimal furniture one-block-high-ceiling no-walls-in-between loft rooms were on the lower end of things...
saboor

Postby gregkhion » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:19 pm

That great Dremire ill do what you said.
gregkhion

Return to General discussion