v10 Build Contest - Completed!

General discussion about the game

Re: v10 Build Contest

Postby YetiChow » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:38 am

Jon_jon13 wrote:
kiraen wrote:What are the modding rules for this sort of thing? How much is acceptable/not cheating? Is the creative mod allowed? Custom maps? What about custom textures? Adding new items/blocks? Changing apples to 5000%?

I'm not sure I'd use any of this, or even if I'm going to participate. But I'd like to know what sort of restrictions I'm looking at.

I think that, as long as it's inside the contest theme, anything you can do with the game's engine is allowed. Even textures, or whatever you can think of. Just take in mind, other users of the forums will be the judges of whatever you make, if you just put some cool textures but make a simple "meh" building, this is a build contest after all, so they might prefer something more original, even with worse graphics.

In my opinion at least, building massive projects without the creative mod, for example, means they've put more effort into the town (since it's an actual functional town, not just a sandbox build) and that adds some points, but that hasn't prevented me from voting some creative-built entry if it was good and original.

I'd pretty much agree with that - any mod that's allowed under the modding rules is allowed as a build contest entry.

As a modder myself, you'd expect that I'd be more impressed if a build has a cool functionable (and no, I don't mean functional - functionable is a word from Engineering which means "to allow a new range of function", but with overtones of a whole bunch of other things like aesthetic value and practicality) mod in it, but actually it has the opposite efect - it's not that I don't like modded builds as much as "vanilla" ones, but whether it's modded or not has no direct effect on my judgement. That said, mod will usually give you an "advantage" in building a better entry so modded entires often "work" better IMO, but it's an advantage against the parts of the game which are out to get you (sieges, starvation etc.) more than against other entrants since you can stil have a good looking town without mods.

A good rule of thumb is to only use mods which allow you to flex your creative muscles more (e.g. the rotatable stairs and furniture mod), or which remove restrictions to make your build easier (in which case I'd reccomend going all out with a creative mod, including things like citizen spawning and insta-food so you can just focus on the build).
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby EnvizionRev » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:07 am

Yep that is all true. Mods are a tool to bring out your most creative side. Things like creative mod allow for just building, which makes it so much quicker but doesnt allow you to build more than you would have had you not used it. Some people just like the challenge of doing it vanilla, and my hat off to you for it. :) Yes, you can use mods that change the game in different ways, they are allowed for this contest. I tend to shy away from those myself really, but that is just me personally. Some people like texture packages(i used them in minecraft ;) ). So all in all, officially, you may use any in-game mod available(and please share what you're using!). However what is not allowed is editing the photo of your work beyond stitching together mutliple screenshots to make a bigger panaramic view. No extra additions like dragons, fancy captions or hot women... Ok that last one is up for debate. :lol:

There are further developments happening for the build contest, and it may or may not start tomorrow. Getting it up as soon as possible, so please stay tuned!
-- Envizion Revelations, Towns Moderator
EnvizionRev

Postby Anon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:12 am

EnvizionRev wrote:fancy captions or hot women... Ok that last one is up for debate. :lol:

Definitely not that last one without also allowing hot men. We should put effort into not being a sexist community.
Anon

Postby Badger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:29 am

I feel like I kinda half-assed it in the last contest. Not this time around though...

I hope for a chance to suggest a hero again sometime in the future. I had such an awesome idea for the last contest's first prize...
Badger

Postby Anon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Badger wrote:I feel like I kinda half-assed it in the last contest. Not this time around though...

I hope for a chance to suggest a hero again sometime in the future. I had such an awesome idea for the last contest's first prize...

What was the last contest anyway, can't seem to find any remainders on the forums.
Anon

Postby Badger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Anon wrote:
Badger wrote:I feel like I kinda half-assed it in the last contest. Not this time around though...

What was the last contest anyway, can't seem to find any remainders on the forums.

Here ya go:Version .50 Megabuild contest. Had to google it cuz the forum's search feature is kinda wonky...
Badger

Postby EnvizionRev » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 am

Anon wrote:
EnvizionRev wrote:fancy captions or hot women... Ok that last one is up for debate. :lol:

Definitely not that last one without also allowing hot men. We should put effort into not being a sexist community.

Ok, no hot women, hot men or lusty ogres are allowed. :D

The contest has been pushed back to start on Monday. Look to this thread for further details then.
But you should get very excited. 8-)
EnvizionRev

Postby ragnar » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Why the delay? Does it have to do with the next version coming out soon or? :?:
ragnar

Postby EnvizionRev » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:28 pm

No, as I said before the next version won't be released during the duration of this contest. It's a seperate reason, but one everyone will be happy for. :)
EnvizionRev

Postby ericb1800 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:05 am

EnvizionRev wrote:No, as I said before the next version won't be released during the duration of this contest. It's a seperate reason, but one everyone will be happy for. :)

So whens this contest gonna be over so I know how long I at least have to wait for v11 then? :D :D
ericb1800

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion