Water for the masses

General discussion about the game

Re: Water for the masses

Postby caprontos » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:12 pm

badabing wrote:Can anybody explain me how the fluids elevator works?

Basically if water flows onto it - it will push the water up one space - so you need a stack of them to move water up several layers.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby Wud » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:56 am

I seem to be unable to build this thing in/on the river, do I have to dig a trench up to the river with them already in it, then let the trench flood to get started?
Wud

Postby pander » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:05 am

Wud wrote:I seem to be unable to build this thing in/on the river, do I have to dig a trench up to the river with them already in it, then let the trench flood to get started?

Correct. I'd suggest building up your entire water feature before connecting the trench to the water source, or have flood gates in place to stem the tide if things go wrong or you want to make changes.

edit: on a semi-unrelated note: my snacky cakes empire is coming along swimmingly. Though the cakes boost hero happiness, does boosting hero happiness actually do anything as of this version?
I now run the forum game Tales of Caelandonia http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3769.
Mechanics, rules and story outlines are found in the discussion page: http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8853
Join us!
pander

Postby YetiChow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:10 am

Wud wrote:I seem to be unable to build this thing in/on the river, do I have to dig a trench up to the river with them already in it, then let the trench flood to get started?

That's one way... the other option would be to pause the game and remove a lot (and I really mean a lot here) of water around where you're planning to place it in the river/lake, then build it attached to a fluid blocker (make a bridge out of scaffolds with a "solid" block at the end and hen stick the pump on the side of that solid block); and then surround the pump with fluid blocking blocks and build the tower with more pumps in the centre to elevate your water... all of the work at or below the water line has to be done quickly beofre the water flows back. When you've built your aqueduct, delete one of the blocks on the waterline level of the tower to let the water flow into the pump and your aqueduct will flow!

That above example is only included for "completion" - it can be done, but the other one is much better 90% of the time ;) However it's there in case anyone wants to "legit" build their aquaeduct starting in the centre of a lake...
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby hannan221999 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:45 pm

how do you make beer
hannan221999

Postby Prime624 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:27 pm

hannan221999 wrote:how do you make beer

Can't yet.

EDIT: The water elevator is so trippy. It does spin the wrong way until you really focus. I think it should be changed though.
Prime624

Postby YetiChow » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:11 am

Prime624 wrote:
hannan221999 wrote:how do you make beer

Can't yet.

EDIT: The water elevator is so trippy. It does spin the wrong way until you really focus. I think it should be changed though.

It doesn't actually "spin", it just alternates between two graphics. Your brain interperates that as spinning, but can't figure out which way it's going hence the changes of direction. the tracks on the Dwarven caravan do the same thing.

The only spinning graphic is the mill, but that actually spins the wrong way based on where the flour gets spat out... :lol:
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby smeagolthevile » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:00 pm

So I'm trying to make a perpetual waterfall.

I have a basin with 2 lifters that take it to another basin to the west, which has 2 lifters that take it to a basin to the north, which has 2 lifters that take it to a basin to the east, which has 2 lifters that take it to a basin to the south, etc etc for 3 stories, before finally falling into a small basin attached to the very first. It SHOULD WORK

My problem is that unless all basins are 100% filled the water starts to dissipate on it's own over time leaving it completly devoid of water.
smeagolthevile

Postby Jon_jon13 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:06 pm

non-full blocks of water evaporate. Moving water is spread in non-full blocks, so it's impossible to have perpetual moving water without it evaporating. You can only hope to design some way to refill the water at the same rate it evaporates.

Put more and the waterfall will eventually overflow.
Put less and you'll run out of it.

Trust me I'm a watergineer.
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby smeagolthevile » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:02 pm

Well that kills my entry idea for that water project building idea... stupid evaporating water.
smeagolthevile

Previous

Return to General discussion