Water for the masses

General discussion about the game

Re: Water for the masses

Postby Colombo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:31 am

The interesting point is: What about replacing water with wall-tile? Or droping wall-tile into water so I could create block etc.? (such as building column in water to create base for buildings)
Colombo

Postby caprontos » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:32 pm

At the end of the aqueduct Ben shows is this now:

I managed to get the water from the river + a second pump tower(same as the first only out of the lake close by.. ties in to the bend in the second picture) to this area to grow the 2 new crops.. Bamboo and sugarcane - both which require water close by to be able to grow.

Basically the tower just a hole in the center so the water can flow down in to the pool below then out in to the irrigation canal (can see it behind the sugarcane if you look closely).

So far having a pool of water to store is a good idea... As it does take a little bit of time to pile up water.. so having some in storage for when your ready to open a new irrigation ditch/bring it elsewhere - Helps... - subject to change- of course.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby burningpet » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:06 am

Very, very nice!

Well, hopefully true hardcore players will mod every planted crop to require water. :twisted:
burningpet

Postby LittleMikey » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:06 am

Oh lawd that .gif hurts my brain so hard XD It keeps spinning one way then the other way then the other way....
LittleMikey

Postby YetiChow » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:17 am

burningpet wrote:Very, very nice!

Well, hopefully true hardcore players will mod every planted crop to require water. :twisted:

That will definitely be added to Food Extravaganza mod (assuming you and Supermalparit don't add it first...); and I do believe it opens up something like "hydroponics" - an item which blocks water and has a very small max age water radius; with <replaceCellitem> and <maxAge> to "grow" a plant, then another <replaceCellItem> to harvest it...

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be "one of those" updates which takes over every waking minute with anticipation... gaaaah, I already can't wait :lol:
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby ericb1800 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:22 am

YetiChow wrote:
burningpet wrote:Very, very nice!

That will definitely be added to Food Extravaganza mod (assuming you and Supermalparit don't add it first...); and I do believe it opens up something like "hydroponics" - an item which blocks water and has a very small max age water radius; with <replaceCellitem> and <maxAge> to "grow" a plant, then another <replaceCellItem> to harvest it...

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be "one of those" updates which takes over every waking minute with anticipation... gaaaah, I already can't wait :lol:

I know I have already split the crops from Food Ext in preparation for this update and changes from last update... I also know that fishing will completely change since there will no longer need to be a custom map for it...
ericb1800

Postby YetiChow » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 am

ericb1800 wrote:I know I have already split the crops from Food Ext in preparation for this update and changes from last update... I also know that fishing will completely change since there will no longer need to be a custom map for it...

I think I might even have a way to have "proper" fishing with a fishing line and everything... not a net, no "fishing stool", proper fishing like on the old menu sreen!

so that I'm not hijacking the topic, I've been wondering: now that we can control water, what are the chances of livings which can "walk" (or swim or float) on that water? I know the new mechanic is completely unrelated to this, but being able to have them one after the other (as in having water-dwellers in v11) would be a logical step, not to mention completely and utterly epic...
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby smeagolthevile » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Along with this, can we possibly get an item, tool, or option that makes the danger of water easier to deal with, maybe allowing townies to swim so they dont drownd at every little mistake.
smeagolthevile

Postby Radsoc » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:33 pm

That's a cool game mechanic, pumping water from underground desert sources or some oasis later on. For other maps I think "rain" is good enough for apple trees and wheat and so on, but not counting seasonal variations. :)
Radsoc

Postby Buster10 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:56 pm

We should have a water themed build contest when this comes out!
Buster10

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion