Ok I need help getting started, knowledgeable people c'mere!

General discussion about the game

Ok I need help getting started, knowledgeable people c'mere!

Postby TheGuyInTheHat » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Ok so I decided once and for all to learn Towns.. I keep starting it and then have no idea what to do and quit..

So I'm going to start and I need your help.

I created a map and so far I have created 3 areas with log walls and made a carpentry zone, bakery zone and masonry zone. I've put a carpenters bench there too. Also made a stockpile area and now I tilled some earth thinking I'm gonna make some wheat (I have no idea what I'm doing btw or how you use it or if you need water etc etc.. I'm just clicking).

So, instead of me asking questions I'm going to ask you this:
What do I do next? Tell me things like, get water (i have no idea if water even exists lol) near the wheat farm or build this or build that etc etc.

But foremost, how do I feed my damn townies :P

Edit: Basically help me get a very basic town up step by step so I learn all the basics and can start over by myself!

Edit2: Also I read some tutorial before and the guy dug down one level and made a room there for a townie, why :S Why did he dig down to do it..
TheGuyInTheHat

Re: Ok I need help getting started, knowledgeable people c'm

Postby City Builder » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Instead of telling you what you need to do next which I find impossible to do I'm going to simply outline what I do to get a town up and going.

0. cut some trees down and mine some stone, and harvest some fruit in case you can't get your omelet production up and running in time.
1. Place 3 stockpiles, one for natural resources, one for raw food and one for finished food. (turn them to off in the options panel before placing them and then only turn on those items you want them to store, for example, wood, stone, flint, and eggs and omelets only for now)
2. Scout the map and look for natural areas of gravel, coal or iron, if found, mine the gravel to get the flint.
3. Setup a carpentry with a couple benches and stone benches
4. setup a masonry with a couple of masons benches
5. setup a kitchen
6. fence out an area large enough to hold about 8 chicken farms
7. place chicken farms
8. build kitchen table
9. build cooking fires
10. order up collection of eggs
11. order up the cooking of about 15 omelets

Unless I've forgotten something you should now have a food production that will keep your townies alive.

Now just start building the rest of the stuff like personal rooms, dining room, tavern, tavern rooms for heroes etc.

Once you have a hero in town go ahead and dig a ladder into the spider layer so that the heroes can go exploring and killing all the creepy crawlies in the spider layer.

Use this post to make a simple resource and work lock system:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4858

Then you won't have townies running off into the dungeons getting themselves killed.

Above all else scout the map before you start doing anything to make sure that you see enough gravel to get your omelet production up quickly, if you don't see enough of it, then just start a new map until you find one generated that does. You can also try this for coal or iron as well but it's not as prevelent to find surface iron and coal so it may take a lot more generating of maps to find a good one with surface coal and iron.

Hope this helps at least a little.
burningpet wrote:And yeah, the Majesty reference is correct, towns will eventually aim to be a much more advanced Majesty rather than a dumbed down dwarf fortress.

Play Towns on an unlimited amount of maps: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1659
City Builder

Postby TheGuyInTheHat » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 pm

City Builder wrote:Instead of telling you what you need to do next which I find impossible to do I'm going to simply outline what I do to get a town up and going.

0. cut some trees down and mine some stone, and harvest some fruit in case you can't get your omelet production up and running in time.
1. Place 3 stockpiles, one for natural resources, one for raw food and one for finished food. (turn them to off in the options panel before placing them and then only turn on those items you want them to store, for example, wood, stone, flint, and eggs and omelets only for now)
2. Scout the map and look for natural areas of gravel, coal or iron, if found, mine the gravel to get the flint.
3. Setup a carpentry with a couple benches and stone benches
4. setup a masonry with a couple of masons benches
5. setup a kitchen
6. fence out an area large enough to hold about 8 chicken farms
7. place chicken farms
8. build kitchen table
9. build cooking fires
10. order up collection of eggs
11. order up the cooking of about 15 omelets

Unless I've forgotten something you should now have a food production that will keep your townies alive.

Now just start building the rest of the stuff like personal rooms, dining room, tavern, tavern rooms for heroes etc.

Once you have a hero in town go ahead and dig a ladder into the spider layer so that the heroes can go exploring and killing all the creepy crawlies in the spider layer.

Use this post to make a simple resource and work lock system:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4858

Then you won't have townies running off into the dungeons getting themselves killed.

Above all else scout the map before you start doing anything to make sure that you see enough gravel to get your omelet production up quickly, if you don't see enough of it, then just start a new map until you find one generated that does. You can also try this for coal or iron as well but it's not as prevelent to find surface iron and coal so it may take a lot more generating of maps to find a good one with surface coal and iron.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Ok but how do you order them to make food?
TheGuyInTheHat

Postby City Builder » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Left side of the screen menu, this is the auto production menu, find the one for chicken eggs and set the right side number to what you want, then find the omelet icon and set the right side menu to how many you want at all times.
City Builder

Postby TheGuyInTheHat » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:00 pm

An amazing tutorial mate! It's awesome. I'm going to start over and do exactly that. THANK YOU <3. This game has the best forum without a doubt.. Even though it's small, the community is really nice..
TheGuyInTheHat

Postby TheGuyInTheHat » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Ok regarding the chicken thing.. How do I do this? What do u mean fence out an area? Why? When I click on create chicken farm it already is fenced in?
TheGuyInTheHat

Postby City Builder » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Farm animals are not contained inside of the farm that you see, they will wander and you want to stop that.

Go to the right menu for walls, choose the wood (not log) walls and then the farm fence. Fence in an area that will fit at least 8 farms with a couple of spaces on each side and then put a couple of half doors so your townies can get in and out.

The chickens will stay contained inside of a farm fenced area and with the half door, your townies will have access to them.
City Builder

Postby Overlord Cole » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28 pm

watch a video. easiest way to learn by far.
Overlord Cole

Return to General discussion