Spear vs hammer

General discussion about the game

Spear vs hammer

Postby Camble_soup » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:31 pm

I've been pondering this for awhile....is a stone spear which has medium attack strength and medium defense better than a stone hammer which has high attack strength and low defense. I give all of my townies stone spears and wooden armor, is this a good tactic or is it not. Im working on making a "perfect" starting plan.
Untill next time, Camble.
"Does thou's mother knowth you wearth her drapes?" - Iron man talking to Thor in The Avengers.
Camble_soup

Re: Spear vs hammer

Postby caprontos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:39 pm

I always go with stone hammers... Reason being I can re-use the hammers.. (Sadly they removed hammer from the mason bench so you don't need as many)... so maybe best to just make 6 or so hammers for anvils later on.. If you prefer spears.

I don't think the def difference is meaningful enough early game for it to matter.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby Camble_soup » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Yea, what's the highest tier of armor that you have mass produced for townies? I went to iron then thought about goblignite but it's very resource consuming and time consuming as well.
"Does thou's mother knowth you wearth her drapes?" - Iron man talking to Thor in The Avengers.
Camble_soup

Postby caprontos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:01 pm

I don't really upgrade them beyond iron anymore.. because I don't let my townies get in to fights haha..

But in the past I have gotten them in a mix of armors from zombite to hobgoblinite.. and probably a few goulite/ogreite.. but not much.... But i'd use all the ITES I got..

I only upgrade my main town guards + armor using heroes.. and with caravans.. I often have gold gear for my guard(s) before I get deep enough to need the higher tier ite armor.. which is slightly OP really haha.

Also it is best to never make goblinite armor.. (a few sets or a spear is ok of course... but not mass produce) Because iron is good enough to deal with the hobgoblin floor (on your heroes) - and goblinite is used to make boots of haste.. which I always make a pair for every townie as soon as possible.. and I like to keep all the extra for if I need to replace or expand my townie population..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby Camble_soup » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:13 pm

So that's where the boots are in the armor tab... Hmmm I might have to start making boots of haste. I usually give my guards the best of everything. What's the "best" guard population to have? I usually have about 4 patrolling the entrance and or stairs and a few more on just guard duty wandering in my town just incase of toads,yetis or sieges.
Camble_soup

Postby Swadius » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:18 am

I like the stone spears for their defensive value. In early combat, all I want from my townies is to survive. I've no real combat quality at that point, if I need to win a fight, I just need the first townie to hold on long enough for the other 10 guys to show up.
Swadius

Postby YetiChow » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:27 am

I tend to equip my townies to fit into a theme, and then only the designated soldiers. Screw the third ammendment (I'm an Aussie anyway so it doesn't apply to me :lol:), I'm not letting my townies walk around with sharp, pointy objects unless hey really need to.

Point is, at this stage it's not really important what you arm your townies with. Spears are generally more defensive, so I tend to arm my "bulwark" regiments with them, and my "hammer" regiments (the ones designed to come in after the enemies have hit the "anvil" and smash them apart) get high ATK weapons like maces and... well... hammers.

I rather liked having the hammer as a material in the mason's bench, and I hope that they bring that back (so that I don't have to mod it in every update) and it would be great if there were other such ways to re-use old weapons. Not just selling them (although it's a great way to get rid of the first lot of wooden armour and weapons); thins like display cases for decoration or to make shrines or monuments or whatever. Perhaps even using stone (or iron, if they're added. I think that there should be an iron version of every weapon) spears as ammo for a "ballista" type emplacement?
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Camble_soup » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:15 pm

YetiChow wrote:I rather liked having the hammer as a material in the mason's bench, and I hope that they bring that back (so that I don't have to mod it in every update) and it would be great if there were other such ways to re-use old weapons. Not just selling them (although it's a great way to get rid of the first lot of wooden armour and weapons); thins like display cases for decoration or to make shrines or monuments or whatever. Perhaps even using stone (or iron, if they're added. I think that there should be an iron version of every weapon) spears as ammo for a "ballista" type emplacement?

I personally think that stoves and bakers ovens should require fuel wither its...old wooden weapons, armor or logs, coal, goblin heads. Makes it more of a accomplishment when you move up to meats and omelets.

Swadius wrote:I like the stone spears for their defensive value. In early combat, all I want from my townies is to survive. I've no real combat quality at that point, if I need to win a fight, I just need the first townie to hold on long enough for the other 10 guys to show up.

Right, that's kinda how i view it,. I rather have spears over hammers and maces because the defensive value of the spears.
Camble_soup

Postby bernard02 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:50 am

Swadius wrote:I like the stone spears for their defensive value. In early combat, all I want from my townies is to survive. I've no real combat quality at that point, if I need to win a fight, I just need the first townie to hold on long enough for the other 10 guys to show up.

Right, that's kinda how i view it,. I rather have spears over hammers and maces because the defensive value of the spears.[/quote]

Even myself would like to prefer spears as defensive value as this was already known weapon that has been used in early times.
Easy to carry switchblades legal
bernard02

Postby QueEsQueso » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:17 pm

Haha bringing back an old thread, buddy :)

I agree, though! I like both the defensive stats of the spear coupled with it fitting into "real life."

Eventually, I had all of my townies outfitted with goblinite spears, and everyone was wearing at least hobgoblinite armor. They were all pretty badass haha.
QueEsQueso

Next

Return to General discussion