Buster10 wins the Eighth/Final Weekly Build Contest!

General discussion about the game

Vote for the winner of the last Weekly Build Contest!

Poll ended at Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:11 am

YetiChow
29%
Buster10
71%

Total votes : 14

Buster10 wins the Eighth/Final Weekly Build Contest!

Postby EnvizionRev » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:42 am

Buster10 wins the Eighth and final contest! Congratulations to you, and everyone who has participated! See you next time!

The contest is now closed! Thank you YetiChow and Buster10 for entering! To you two, vote for yourself on the poll then place your real vote on your entry. Good luck! Voting will close on Tuesday.

This is a bitter sweet moment. This is the Eighth and Final Weekly Build Contest. :( We have seen such great creations, had a really great time, and I feel the community has grown that much closer. :)

But fear not, my fellow Immigrants. This is not the end. A great new upgrade to the game is on the horizon! I can see it, filled with new and grand creative possibilities, in the 3rd dimension! And from this brave new frontier... The Weekly Build Contest will be Resurrected! Two weeks after the release of the update, the contest will begin anew. When we have all become adjusted to the new play style, such beautiful and new creativity shall flow through this forum.

As you can see, this week's theme is Castles. We all knew this day would come eventually, so let's see them single story castles. :D

The prize will be an item related to castles, following the pattern of rewards being related to their theme.

At this point, wiping away your tears, you wonder what ever will you do in the mean time?!? What about the winner's reward items!? Where are they!?!? Well, as you can see, Burningpet has been very busy with the new update, with new graphics abound in it. I wouldn't expect to see them in the grand .50 update(but we can hope right? ;) ), but perhaps shortly after in an update all their own. :) We shall see, but they will happen. Having a break between contests will also allow poor Burningpet to catch up. :D

Also, after this week, an open thread will be created for the "mean time". In it, I encourage the community to submit any unique builds they have made, ideas tested for the next update, extravagant and cool things, or simple and small creations that just make you happy. Even show things such as how things looked on day One you started this game, and how your city building has evolved into today. Everyone everyone everyone is encouraged to submit something, even more than one somethings, and discuss them. Ideas may be used in the next build contests. :)

Thanks to everyone who has participated. Thank you Caprontos for being an awesome co-host. This has been great, and I'm very proud to have been a part of the community and make an outlet for great ideas. I'll see you next time. :)

Rules:
--- There is one entry per person per week, but you may edit your post and change your entry before the 13nd. After that date, all entries are final.

--- Please try and post a single reply to this thread that includes your entry, any discussion about other players' entries(admiration or constructive criticism only), and at any time your vote.

--- You cannot vote for yourself.

--- You may reply to this thread and not make an contest entry if you so chose, as long as your post contains only the other two criteria.

--- Voting for that contest will close on the following Monday. You may change your vote before that Monday, but you cannot add new entries.

--- You may use mods.

-- You may use any version of the game you wish.

Any questions, comments, concerns or suggestions pm me.
-- Envizion Revelations, Towns Moderator
EnvizionRev

Re: Eighth/Final Weekly Build Contest (July 7th - 13th)

Postby wizardjian » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:47 pm

1st! and woot castles xD 3 subjects that i am terrible at xDD
Emotions are a hiderance...
Life is just a illusion...
Toughts are usless...
Sanity is a lie...

Froggie's Diary-http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3544
Moving Forwards Into The Future-http://tinyurl.com/c9gulrk
wizardjian

Postby Tono4ham » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:24 pm

I wonder if Instead of building a castle, Can I just draw 1 with pixel art? lol.
Tono's recreations and Various Awesomositys - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3598
Just a heads up. My name is pronounced Toe-no..... Stop messing it up, makes me feel sad :(
Tono4ham

Postby GyratingCow » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:15 pm

I'll try my best on this contest, hopefully I won't have any more accidents with water :oops:
Dungeon Crawler! Awesome forum game, currently being run by the fantastic YetiChow ;)
GyratingCow

Postby EnvizionRev » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:01 pm

wizardjian wrote:1st! and woot castles xD 3 subjects that i am terrible at xDD

Good luck! Maybe you'll discover you're secretly really good at it. :)
Tono4ham wrote:I wonder if Instead of building a castle, Can I just draw 1 with pixel art? lol.

Yes in fact you can. Pixel art entries are just as acceptable. And has always been this way. :)
GyratingCow wrote:I'll try my best on this contest, hopefully I won't have any more accidents with water :oops:

Good luck! As a general rule, I add water before I start building, or very last before I take the picture. Watch my Whiterun tutorial. ;)
-- Envizion Revelations, Towns Moderator
EnvizionRev

Postby YetiChow » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:27 am

You remeber my "brilliant" mod? I tried to regualte my forests so they didn't die outn and itt... uh... kinda failed (so many trees, soooooo many treeeeees :shock:). I had to go back to Vanilla - how's that for irony :lol:

Castles... That's kind of my best strength, even though I actually very rarely build them. I've built 2 - once for the week 2 contest (and that went quite well I'm sure you'd agree), and one to test out my "micro towns" theory which hit 50 population within one game month :D Castles are without a doubt the most "complete" aspect of the game so far, as all the relevant items/code is in place, they solve quite a few current issues (long walk times don't matter when everything is in one area, they're easy to defend against seiges etc.), and they provide a visually/aesthetically pleasing project which can actualy be used for something, and are easy to build in vanilla. This is definitely a great choice for a tehme to end on, to really go out with a bang :D

Now I just have to decide hw big I want my throne room to be, and how many golden statues of mys- I mean, Nux to erect in the grand plaza :lol:

Ok; here's my entry:

Nothing amazing really jumps out at you; there's the standard wall, a keep, a big multi-zone workshop with incorporated mine access and a large farm for animals stuck on the back. The thing is, this castle uses my "micro town" approach, and comfortably houses 60 citizens*, seven heroes (rooms for 1 dwarf, 1 Highlander, four basic rooms and a barbarian or two depending on the order they arrive), every workshop and a decent amount of storage for food and materials (in case of sieges knocking down doors or having to lava-bomb any which sneak past my defences I can replace the plaza paving).

The hovel on the mountain was intended to house a Highlander (the hero who turns into a bear), but at the time of the screenshot it's actually home to a reclusive wizard with a strange thing for pigs... :| slightly SW of the castle are some ruins which were once a proud cathedral, although the worshippers turned from their benevolent deity to one who offered power and riches before luring them to their doom (sound familiar? The fact that the dungeon entrance is through an ossuary in the basement should make the inspiration obvious, even if the map is "upside down" compared to the original).

*There are personal rooms for 60 citizens, however the most I had at any time was 54. I had though my defences impenetrable, however a swarm of spiders put paid to that assumption, wiping out half my town. The sad thing is, Ilet that happen at least four other times with slimes, spiders again, a small rush from the dungeon and an absolute swarm of goblins. You won't see it in the picture, but there's a small graveyard with 10 graves and some statues, as well as a few more graves in the ossuary; but these are nothing compared to the number of corpses I just deleted because I'd run out of space in the graveyard.

Good luck to all the other entrants, it's been great being part of these contests and I can't wait for the next lot (although my computer does welcome the break so it can recover from all the screenshot pasting :lol:).

My vote is kind of obvious, but I probably would have voted for Buster10 anyway - that castle is amazing :P Looks like this will come down to a community selection; another great way to end the contest (although it would have been nice to have more entries naturally, I feel it is always a more exciting vote when the votes from the entries are equally distributed between each other so it's the community who decides which entry they prefer).
Last edited by YetiChow on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Buster10 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:39 pm

MY CASTLE

Welcome to Hill-side Kingdom! Hope you enjoy the tour.
At first you will notice the keep itself, resting on the hill which gave the name to this kingdom. Surrounding it is the inner-most wall and gate, which curves nicely around the hilltop to protect the royal family. At the bottom of the hill is the outer-wall and gate, and between the two walls is the forest, and the weirwood with leaves red as blood.
Beyond the outer-wall is the city and church. Here you will find the living quarters of the busy workers, and their workplaces.

THE KEEP
In the keep you will find several things. When entering through the inner-gate, you will find the bathhouse to your left, walking up the stone path. If you continue through the main doors, you will find the purple throne room, named after the dominant color within. There are several paths that lead out from this room.

The one in the upper-left corner leads to the royal bedroom. The leftmost bedroom is reserved to the Queen and King, and the following two rooms are for their children.

Continuing down the hall, you will find the servants quarters. These are less extravagant than the royal bedroom, but they serve their purpose. Back in the throne room, we’ll take the door in the middle to the right. This will lead us down a hall with access to the royal gardens and the graveyard to the north-east. This pathway will join up with the dining hall. Almost twice the size of the throne room, the dining hall serves the purpose of entertainment and the replenishment of food and drinks. The dining room also has a nice view over the graveyard.

THE CITY
The city is split in two; the normal, slightly richer part, and the slum. The slum is identified with the straw roof, and the fact that no building there has windows, while the richer part of the city has a dark wooden roof mixed with red tiles, and windows.

In the city you will find:
The tavern, the rather large building shaped like a horseshoe.
The church, located in the slum, behind the tavern. This is also the only building built in the same stone as the keep.
The smith, next the gates.
The farms, located outside the east side of the outer-wall.
The bakery, located in the richer part with a nice, red roof.

The last defense is a small mote/lake, that surrounds the entire kingdom.

WORK NOTES:
If I am allowed, I would like to have some pictures from within the keep? It is late, and because of computer problems, I have only been able to make the picture shown.
Also, while creating this kingdom, I’ve been reading The Game of Thrones series and you might be able to see that I’ve been a bit inspired.
Also, there might be some white squares on the picture, it is lazy me that didn’t fill it out..
Lastly, it took the most of my Monday and Tuesday terraforming that hill!

MODS:
I have been using the following mods
Screenshot Mod - by Jontis_00
Trashcan Mod by Burningpet - Converted by Jontis_00
Deedasmi MudMod v0.9
Creative Mod - by Jontis_00 + More Citizens! by RedValkyrie
Flatlands Mod - by Jontis_00

I have also modded the game myself, changing some roofs of some walls (thanks) and I modded out lakes, jungles and rivers to begin with. I also messed around with the cherry tree, to allow it to be on grass.

Sorry for the long post!

MY VOTE
Well, we're only two soo... Heh. I don't know, if you counted his vote, then count mine :) I'll vote for Yetichow. I like your castle, because unlike mine, yours would actually be usable in-game. I did try to make mine so that all the normal things would be there. but my little wheat field would feed no one. I like the idea of housing as many townsfolk as possible, in the smallest place.
Do I have to press "Vote" in the box or will this count?
Buster10 - Daniel
Last edited by Buster10 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Buster10

Postby GyratingCow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Crap. I forgot about this contest for a couple days.

Also, my game is not working. Lucky me.
Dungeon Crawler! Awesome forum game, currently being run by the fantastic YetiChow ;)
GyratingCow

Postby YetiChow » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:26 am

GyratingCow wrote:Crap. I forgot about this contest for a couple days.

Also, my game is not working. Lucky me.

Ask for an extension if you think a couple of extra days will help. Otherwise, take an earlier entry that is vaguely castle-ish and do something with it (such as writing a backstory, following the adventures of a particular townie or hero in that town with a "where are they now" etc). You don't have to make a castle to enter, just something related to castles and Towns.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Badger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Is anyone else gonna enter this contest?
Badger

Next

Return to General discussion