Badger wins the Seventh Weekly Build Contest!

General discussion about the game

Vote for the winner of the Seventh Weekly Build Contest!

Poll ended at Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:14 am

Tono4ham
29%
Badger
57%
YetiChow
14%
Jon_jon13
No votes

Total votes : 7

Badger wins the Seventh Weekly Build Contest!

Postby EnvizionRev » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:49 am

Voting has now closed. Our winner to second to last contest, and our second recurring winner, is Badger! Congratulations!
This Contest is now Closed! Thanks to Tono4ham, Badger, YetiChow, and Jon_jon13 for their entries! Good luck!

Contestants, as always, vote for yourself on the poll, then cast your real vote on your entry.

Already to the seventh week of this contest? We've been going a while haven't we? And it's gone by so fast. It grows up so quickly. :cry:

This week, for those who don't already know ;) is the Garden/Plaza/Hedge Maze theme! This is the week to really pump out those decorations and pavement road paths. Good luck!

The banner above shows a creation made by Burningpet himself, now long ago it seems. :D

As always, behind on my talking with Burningpet about the prize, but expect it to be an art item decoration, relating to the theme as always. :)

Rules:
--- There is one entry per person per week, but you may edit your post and change your entry before the 6th. After that date, all entries are final.

--- Please try and post a single reply to this thread that includes your entry, any discussion about other players' entries(admiration or constructive criticism only), and at any time your vote.

--- You cannot vote for yourself.

--- You may reply to this thread and not make an contest entry if you so chose, as long as your post contains only the other two criteria.

--- Voting for that contest will close on the following Monday. You may change your vote before that Monday, but you cannot add new entries.

--- You may use mods.

-- You may use any version of the game you wish.

-- You may reuse entries.

Any questions, comments, concerns or suggestions PM me. Yes I will answer. Don't be shy. :)
-- Envizion Revelations, Towns Moderator
EnvizionRev

Re: Seventh Weekly Build Contest (June 30th - July 6th)

Postby Tono4ham » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:51 am

MY submission as early as ever
Comments:
Vote: I'ma vote for Badger cos its simple and looks good.
Last edited by Tono4ham on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tono's recreations and Various Awesomositys - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3598
Just a heads up. My name is pronounced Toe-no..... Stop messing it up, makes me feel sad :(
Tono4ham

Postby EnvizionRev » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:56 am

Tono4ham wrote:Whats this weeks prize when I win it?

Quick on the ball, there skippy. ;) Maybe you read over this.

expect it to be an art item decoration, relating to the theme as always.
-- Envizion Revelations, Towns Moderator
EnvizionRev

Postby GyratingCow » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:13 am

I'd try and participate in this one, but unfortunately next week I'll be gone.
Dungeon Crawler! Awesome forum game, currently being run by the fantastic YetiChow ;)
GyratingCow

Postby Jon_jon13 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:38 am

I have a plaza already :D Probably tomorrow i'll get the time to take the screen and upload it
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby Badger » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:04 am

Well, here is my submission. Just a simple little market plaza:

I used Jontis' creative mod to make this town & went through several different towns until I built one I was happy with.

I used my failsafe vote. Here are my opinions:

Tono4ham:

I find it amazing how you used the entire map on your submission. I don't have the patience for that. :shock:
My only problem with it is that it doesn't seem to have any direction, that you just went along as you go. I do like the lol bus though.

Jon_jon13:

I thought that place looked familiar. It's a nice place, though I've already seen it.

Yetichow:

It's a nice little plaza, especially considering that you built it in the desert where resources are scarce. I also find it impressive how you stuck with the same town for so long. I tend to get bored of my towns rather quickly. My only gripe is that I would of liked to seen a screenshot with the roofs toggled on. The insides of the buildings kinda distract from the plaza.

My vote goes to Yetichow.
Last edited by Badger on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Badger

Postby YetiChow » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:20 am

ooh, finally :D I've been waiting for a garden themed contest so I could really flex my (virtual) horticultural skills. The only problem is, I've realised after the week six contest that I'm unable to post large pictures - so much for my map-spanning botanical garden idea :(. Still, there are plenty of options available.

I just wonder if it's worth building a hedge maze - the townies will automatically find the exit every time, and do I really want them to get lost in it anyway?

Edit: My plan for this week was a botanical garden crossed with a zoo. I cut off about a quater of a normal map with a river, and added patches of jungle, desert and snow which I then fenced off. There were many gardens, courtyards, a couple of cafes, a maze with a courtyard as the reward for finding the centre, a cluster of groundskeepers' sheds and a block of public toilets (although the "toilet" floor was a dining zone to match the dark wood walls, so the townies often actually ate there instead the cafes :lol:) which included a first aid room. Naturally this was all made with a creative mod, so the actual construction was fairly straightfoward, however taking the screenshots proved extremely difficult (odd shapes and very few reference points). I refuse to ask for a second extension in a row, so here's my entry; you'll probably recognise it from week 2. It wasn't my first choice, but plan A was taken by Tono4ham and plan B was taking too long to screenshot, so this is plan C.

The idea behind it was to provide the heroes exploring the dungeons a peaceful place of respite. It has fabulous mountain views, and is sheltered from the biting alpine wind. The flowers and fish pond give weary heroes something to ease their minds with as they recover from their adventures, safe in the knowledge they are protected by what has been officially declared "the best dungeon entrance of that particular week" :lol:.

Hopefuly I'll have the good sense to make a small (or at least small-ish) project for next week's contest :lol:. I'm working on getting a mediafire account, if/when I do I'll upload the save file for my intended entry.

My vote goes to Badger, since he managed to do what no-one else seemed to be able to do - start planting things and stop at a sane size :lol: I almost went to Tono4ham, but I don't want to vote for something just because it's bigger; I really like the way Badger has kept his entry simple and elegant.
Last edited by YetiChow on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby caprontos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:35 pm

YetiChow wrote:ooh, finally :D I've been waiting for a garden themed contest so I could really flex my (virtual) horticultural skills. The only problem is, I've realised after the week six contest that I'm unable to post large pictures - so much for my map-spanning botanical garden idea :(. Still, there are plenty of options available.

I just wonder if it's worth building a hedge maze - the townies will automatically find the exit every time, and do I really want them to get lost in it anyway?

you can do multiple screenshots if you need to for detailed pictures.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby wizardjian » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:55 pm

lolz im am so bad at mazes xD
Emotions are a hiderance...
Life is just a illusion...
Toughts are usless...
Sanity is a lie...

Froggie's Diary-http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3544
Moving Forwards Into The Future-http://tinyurl.com/c9gulrk
wizardjian

Postby burningpet » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Tono4ham wrote:MY submission as early as ever
Comments:
Vote:

Is that a complete map sized hedge maze??
burningpet

Next

Return to General discussion