Iron D=

General discussion about the game

Iron D=

Postby bumfree » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:14 pm

I've been searching for this illusive resource for days, i've dug down to the 4th level and still can't find any. Tips? :)
bumfree

Re: Iron D=

Postby xenma » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:21 pm

I usually try to start a map with atleast 1 surface block of iron
xenma

Postby Torgen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:38 am

Look at the map of the first dungeon. There's almost always some spot that isn't connected to the rest (be careful about not getting too close to underground water!) and run a 1-tile wide tunnel to explore for hidden areas. I find I'm drowning in iron and coal by the time I clear out the second dungeon, thanks to using mine shafts.
Torgen

Postby City Builder » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 am

Pure luck to find it.

I've literally generated hundreds of maps trying to find surface iron to give me a hope that there might be a decent pocket under neath that one surface iron and never seen iron on the surface in those hundreds of maps.

When I finally gave up caring (since this is alpha so we don't really play on a map for all that long due to updates), I finally generated a map the other night and it had about 16 surface iron, with 2 locations that would accept a mine due to the 2x2 square of iron. And it was right next to each other on the map, maybe 9 squares apart. So my belief after generating so many maps and not seeing any surface iron and then getting one is that it's purely luck.

It's going to be harder to see in 0.45 when the fog of war is in the dungeons, so we won't be able to just quick spot iron in dungeons, which will be when more and more players are going to hope for surface iron to get them a head start.
burningpet wrote:And yeah, the Majesty reference is correct, towns will eventually aim to be a much more advanced Majesty rather than a dumbed down dwarf fortress.

Play Towns on an unlimited amount of maps: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1659
City Builder

Postby Eitr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:56 pm

There's usually a lot of iron on dungeon level 2, and those floors can easily be cleared out by wood/stone gear.

And once you find it, you can dig down and avoid the lower dungeon rooms by digging in between them so you don't have to fight any more while getting iron.

By the time you find a random map with surface iron you could already have a huge town ready to go dungeon diving.
Eitr

Postby wikyd » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:30 am

Personally, I'm confused with the decision to make iron so hard to find, since it only gets used for a few things. By the time I would expect to use iron equipment, I already have most of my townies geared in goblinite. I get enough iron to build my anvil, smelter, and stove, then move on.
wikyd

Postby starsong » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 am

It took me about 10+ tries to generate a map with surface iron (Got copper once too) I'm a slow starter as I like to build up my vil and wall up everything before I go for the dungeons and it was really helpful in getting my food resources up
starsong

Postby physonic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Well if it is really that important to get iron on the surface theres an easy way to get it, if you don't mind "modding" or altering the game a bit.
1. go to your installed towns folder
2. open the data folder
3a. Optional - make a backup of gen_map.xml
3b. open the gen_map.xml file
4. Scroll down until you see:
<!-- 8 iron seeds -->
-<seed> <type>iron</type>
<num>8</num>
<level>1d6+6</level>
<turns>50</turns>
<northPCT>6</northPCT>
<southPCT>6</southPCT>
<eastPCT>6</eastPCT>
<westPCT>6</westPCT>
<upPCT>4</upPCT>
<downPCT>5</downPCT>
</seed>
5. Change the text <num>8</num> TO <num>16</num>

You will now have twice as many iron deposits on your maps as original thought.
P.S. This only works when generating a new map, not on saved games.
physonic

Postby MadSpy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Alternatively, instead of making more iron, you can do what I did and make it more likely to be at the surface by changing the <level> attribute.

The default setup has iron spawning at level 1d6+6, i.e. between levels 7 and 13. It then seems to spread based on the various PCT attributes. So if it spawns on level 7 and spreads up 4 levels (<upPCT>), you have iron on level 3.

I have changed the <level> attribute to 1d6+3, so that the iron will spawn between levels 4 and 9. I don't always get surface iron, but the deepest I've ever had to go is level 2.
MadSpy

Postby City Builder » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Eitr wrote:There's usually a lot of iron on dungeon level 2,

And still pure luck that you find it on level 2. I more times than not will dig down to level 3 in the dungeon to see if there is any iron if there isn't any surface iron. If I don't find any iron by level 3 then I just regenerate the map. More times than not (with my luck, remember I said a good portion of it is luck of the roll) I haven't found iron within the first 3 levels. Just plain old dumb bad luck I guess.

But if I go to level 3 and the dungeon that opens up is about 1/3rd of the mini map and theres no iron then I regen the map. I don't usually go digging in other places if 1/3rd of the map opens up to the dungeon on level 3. So for all I know it could be somewhere in the other 2/3rds of level 3 and I'm just not looking for it by digging more test holes.

Anyway, as mentioned it can be modded to get it to the surface if people wanted to. I tried it once by just boosting the amount of iron to be generated on the map but I couldn't play the map as I felt like I'd just cheated a big portion of the game, I guess I just need to keep generating maps until I find it on level 2 naturally with the vanilla game to feel good about playing the map.

I too am a bit surprised that they've made iron as rare as they have. But I imagine like the rest of the game, it's subject to balancing as time goes on.
burningpet wrote:And yeah, the Majesty reference is correct, towns will eventually aim to be a much more advanced Majesty rather than a dumbed down dwarf fortress.

Play Towns on an unlimited amount of maps: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1659
City Builder

Return to General discussion