To buy or not to buy?

General discussion about the game

To buy or not to buy?

Postby Skulleus » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:29 am

First off, all the reviews on steam say that it abandonware. If so, that is immediately a no go for me. Second, how often is the dev actually reply to threads/get on/give a progress update? Third, if it's a one man team and he is still workin on it why was the last update in sep of 2014? Is it so much to ask to give a progression update or appeal to steam to get rid of the negative reviews to PROVE that this is not abandonware?
Skulleus

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Postby Madara Uchiha » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Officially the game is still under development. Unofficially we haven't heard from the lead dev in several months (although the mods constantly claim to have contact with him), and not patches have come out in a long time.

There are talks of selling the game to another company for continued development, but so far, we have no amazing news.

Buy or not to buy? I'd still argue that the game is enjoyable as it is, even incomplete. Just don't expect too much in updates and the such.
Madara Uchiha

Postby Skulleus » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Think about it, but i think i will wait to see if the devs do release another patch or not. If they do then, ill deem it a worthy buy, or if it goes on sale, till then i will wait for it to be better polished or proof that its still being developed.
Skulleus

Postby YetiChow » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:59 pm

Skulleus wrote:First off, all the reviews on steam say that it abandonware. If so, that is immediately a no go for me. Second, how often is the dev actually reply to threads/get on/give a progress update? Third, if it's a one man team and he is still workin on it why was the last update in sep of 2014? Is it so much to ask to give a progression update or appeal to steam to get rid of the negative reviews to PROVE that this is not abandonware?

First off: try the demo. That's the best opportunity you'll get to see whether you enjoy Towns or not.

Secondly: It's never been the developers' style to give a lot of spoilers and information until an update is in the final days before release. Towns isn't part of the "early access" generation really; it's built with an older-style mindset. Quite clearly, that's not the ideal way to handle game development these days... but that doesn't mean that you should trust all the reviews out there. Many were written in anger and frustration, so take them with a grain of salt - again, try the demo; and you can make up your own mind about whether it's worth getting a copy for yourself :P
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Hyrus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:52 pm

It's dead, no matter what people say. It has been for a couple years but sometimes there's movement to give people hope. After a brief moment, however, it's dead again. It's a fun game, but make no mistake: it is dead, as you can attest just by looking at the forums.
Hyrus

Postby QueEsQueso » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm not sure that I would call it dead. Just very lethargic ;)

I agree with Yeti. Definitely try the demo. Demos are free, after all, so why not? Also, there are plenty of us still around who want to help the game get back on its feet again.
QueEsQueso

Postby Locklave » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Skulleus wrote:First off, all the reviews on steam say that it abandonware. If so, that is immediately a no go for me. Second, how often is the dev actually reply to threads/get on/give a progress update? Third, if it's a one man team and he is still workin on it why was the last update in sep of 2014? Is it so much to ask to give a progression update or appeal to steam to get rid of the negative reviews to PROVE that this is not abandonware?

1. It's "limboware", might get more, might get something, might get nothing ever again and might get nearly nothing. History leads me to think the last 2 are more likely.

2. No, the Xavi doesn't actively reply to threads or anything really. I've been waiting for months on a PM reply from Xavi (about a still unresolved issue), no posts have been made by him in that time.

3. I'd think it's because he isn't working on it or nearly no time is spent on it.

4. People have been barking up that tree for years... including myself. Seems that yes it is too much to ask. I keep hoping he might feel guilty about all this and get his act together, I'll continue to wait.
Locklave

Postby Jon_jon13 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:41 am

While there's *A CHANCE* that we *MAY* get *SOME* updates *EVENTUALLY*, you should consider this abandonware for all intents and purposes.

As others have said: Try the demo. If it's like it was in alpha times, you get the full game, only you can play to day 20, then the game closes. (tip: Save around day 19!)

If you like the game just as it is right now, consider buying it. Don't expect anything more in the future. IF there's any update... then that's icing on the cake.

I got tons of hours of fun with this, back in the day. But it might not be your cup of tea, thats why the demo is there :)
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby beta » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:24 am

Welp, dunno if id call it dead like completely, just a 1 man in his spare time job now though, so we may be waiting long time for anything to happen.

But I enjoyed what I got, it's STILL a better than a game that's so undeveloped that you can't play it without heavily modding it to make it playable *cough* minecraft! *cough*
beta

Return to General discussion