Is towns back online?

General discussion about the game

Is towns back online?

Postby holarndius » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:59 am

Is towns officially back in development, with real updates and features planned for implementation??? Who is part of the Dev team now? Are there going to be regular updates and/or patches/Bug fixes? Is this an attempt to draw attention back to towns after the fall into obscurity??

Honestly I do want to know because I still like towns, but it did have a nasty fall into unpopularity and I just want to know if I can look forward to more updates and optimizations down the line. I don't want promises I want facts. If the development for towns has fallen onto the backburner for you guys and its just a hobby job or "whenever you get time for it" kind of thing I would like to know what to expect, so as not to raise my expectations to high and have them dashed against the rocks. Don't get me wrong, any updates are better than no updates BUT if they're not going to be semi regular or even once a month then I would certainly like to know.
holarndius

Re: Is towns back online?

Postby ragnar » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:22 am

It is official back online (Xavi is back working on the game, and will get help from Ben. ), but there are some problems, as the speed of development is very low. So it will not be regular updates like once a month and similar, but more when its done. Dont get your expectations high, because it looks more like what he will be doing in his free time when he feels about it, than do more regular updates as if he would work on it full time (or dedicated more time to it as before, because dev always developed this game in his free time as he had his main job).

What you can expect to be implemented in near future (some things are already in the game implemented in the last patch):
supermalparit wrote:Ok, I will de-amplify it a bit more.

About the next patch, Ben and me are right now talking about the features.

Edit: This is the mini-list of features we will focus for the next patch.

Code: Select all
- Tutorials / Campaign
- Weapon animations when livings fight
- Animal production
- A way to set multiple barrels/piles configuration

- The animal production is still open but we don't like the way the animals work right now so we have to do something with them (we need a better way to produce them and control them).
- For the multiple barrel/pile configurations we thought about to add a button on the configuration panel to copy the current configuration to all the other piles/barrels. Also a new button to lock the piles/barrels you don't want to be modified.
ragnar

Postby holarndius » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks for the info. ill just put this on the back of my game list to check once in while for updates. I am glad to see/hear/read that towns is getting updated again its almost like when terraria got that huge update out of nowhere! This thread can be deleted whenever anyone wants since I don't think I can do it myself.
holarndius

Postby muzzy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:40 pm

Xavi hasn't logged onto the forums for two weeks now, no explanation what's up either.

Considering that the last patch was two minor improvements and the changelog entries for the next patch is the same, it looks like he hasn't put more than a day or two of work into the development in the past three months.

That's not much different from being abandoned again.
muzzy

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:57 pm

How could they have told us whats up if they didn't log in as you put it.
They could have logged in anonymously you never know , so what should have been said is that they haven't posted and updates

I wouldn't call the Major re-write of the Tutorial system a minor improvement.
There were other improvements made to facilitate those notified changes, there have been other changes made too but those are the only ones that visibly effect game plat that's why they were listed.

It's vastly different from being abandoned, as we all know Xavi lets us know when he's stopping work on this project (as a few have pointed out rather clearly in the past), They haven't done so so the game isn't abandoned.
There is a list of what they are working on, they are indie devs, not an AAA company, they have to balance what they do between many tasks that they have going on.

YES I agree they could and probably should communicate more. but lack of communication doesn't infer abandonment .
BlueSteelAUS

Postby muzzy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:12 am

BlueSteelAUS wrote:They could have logged in anonymously you never know , so what should have been said is that they haven't posted and updates

I used to check these forums and Xavi never failed to login at least once per week. And the one time he was gone longer than that, he actually announced it beforehand. This changed a month ago, before that he consistently logged into these forums at least once a week even if he didn't post anything.

BlueSteelAUS wrote:I wouldn't call the Major re-write of the Tutorial system a minor improvement.

According to the patch notes, tutorial system was in v14d that was released 18th of July. Is this date incorrect? That's 84 days ago, i.e. 2 months and 22 days, or roughly three months.

Since v14d patch, the one patch afterwards and the current unreleased changes for the upcoming patch have been just tweaks on the pile/container configuration and nothing else. (okay, audio files were renormalized too, but that's an asset change and not a code change)

BlueSteelAUS wrote:It's vastly different from being abandoned, as we all know Xavi lets us know when he's stopping work on this project (as a few have pointed out rather clearly in the past), They haven't done so so the game isn't abandoned.

I disagree, in my opinion it's the exact opposite; Xavi never willingly told us when he lost the motivation to work. It was like that a month after the Steam launch and it was like that during the failed first round of the programmer hiring.

Right now, it's almost three months with only minimal touches to the game and a month of significantly lowered activity on the forums. I'd say the signs indicate Xavi has lost focus again, and he isn't telling the community about it.
muzzy

Postby supermalparit » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Hey!

Some news, my wife decided to make some big :( changes at our home, so we are now living in a flat of my uncles until the changes are finished (kitchen, wc, living room, ... I hate it!!). Here I have very limited internet connection, I share the internet with my parents (they live on the flat over us).

So, well, I finished the moving to the new flat and finally I'm ready to do some work. I plan to post here every few days about the advancements (can't on weekends).

Thanks and sorry for the delay
Xavi Canal
supermalparit
Towns team

Postby muzzy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Once a week is enough, but I'm not going to complain if you post more often. Nice to see you're still around.
muzzy

Postby Colombo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:19 am

supermalparit wrote:Hey!

Some news, my wife decided to make some big :( changes at our home, so we are now living in a flat of my uncles

Your wife kicked you out of home?

until the changes are finished (kitchen, wc, living room, ... I hate it!!). Here I have very limited internet connection, I share the internet with my parents (they live on the flat over us).

So, well, I finished the moving to the new flat and finally I'm ready to do some work. I plan to post here every few days about the advancements (can't on weekends).

Thanks and sorry for the delay

Oh, never mind...
Colombo

Postby supermalparit » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Xavi Canal
supermalparit
Towns team

Next

Return to General discussion