Hi, I'm the new guy!

General discussion about the game

Hi, I'm the new guy!

Postby moebius » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

my name is Florian but you can call be Moebius. I'm the new guy to take the lead
of Towns. I'm honored that Xavi chose me out of supposedly countless candidates :mrgreen:

Maybe I should say something about me first: I'm a passionate Java developer with
about 8 years of experience in this particular language. Quite similar to Xavi and Ben
I've been working on a game for the last 3 years but it hasn't been released yet. It's a 3D
voxel game based on the same framework that Towns uses: LWJGL.

I'm happy that I can work on such a wonderful game that also has such a
huge passionate fanbase :) I'm really looking forward to work with you guys in making
Towns even better than it is today!

In the meantime if you have any questions I consider this thread a kind of AMA - so
go ahead and ask my anything!
Follow me on Twitter @moebiusdev
moebius

Re: Hi, I'm the new guy!

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Welcome.. ;)

throws Moebius a life jacket.. lol

umm.. question, how is him writing his own game going to impact his workin on towns
eg: time, creative conflicts, code stealing/sharing etc...

also will you be actively posting in these forums. eg: updates/plans etc.. and replying to questions

Sorry about the firing line, had to ask the tough questions as more than a fan of Towns.. you know
BlueSteelAUS

Postby Davo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi :) The main questions I have to ask are:

How much pressure do you feel taking on this game?
Do you believe you can improve towns?
Davo

Postby tom k. » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Welcome to the forums Moebius/Florian.

Feel free to PM me, or Skype me (ask xavi) at any time. I've been a moderator here for 2 years now (almost) until my recent resignation.

I had prepared a series of questions when Xavi told me you were making an AMA thread... but when Xavi looked over them we decided they were a little too... inappropriate... for the forums ;)
Hope you bring towns back to life!
Tom K.
Former Community Moderator

Please read the FAQs before posting.
Towns' Official Modding Partner Site - Townsmods.net
tom k.

Postby ragnar » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:40 pm

Hello, and welcome.

So, I have very important question that you must answer,, what music do you like?

Also, what is your plan with towns in near future, I guess you will need some time to learn the code and similar?
ragnar

Postby Jon_jon13 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Just out of curiosity, you can answer if you want: How did you meet Xavi? Are you friends from time ago, did he look for you for this specific reason, or maybe you knew eachother for some previous game-related business?

In any way, let me just warn you (I guess you noticed, but still). There's a lot of hype (at this point, mostly turned into hate), and as you say, the fanbase can be pretty "passionate". Listen to the demands carefully, try to improve the game as you deem reasonable, and consider ignoring the unreasonable complains, as there'll be a lot of everything (praise if you do well, and sh*itstorm if you slip)

Let's hope the game starts progress again soon ^^
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby Procne » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 pm

So, you will be working on 2 games at the same time?
Procne

Postby YetiChow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:14 am

Hi, welcome to the forums Moebius, looking forward to the future of the game under your guidance :)

I think the most important questions we have to settle straight up: beard or clean-shaven, and cats or dogs?

Best of luck for settling in and getting started :)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Hyrus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:14 am

Good luck. What are your ideas for the game and what have you been / will be handed down as roadmap going forward?
Hyrus

Postby NineInchWhales » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:49 am

Hi and Welcome,

So will you be doing the graphics as well?
NineInchWhales

Next

Return to General discussion