Game status

General discussion about the game

Game status

Postby supermalparit » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:28 pm

Hello everybody,

I login to the forums to make you all know the current game situation. Have to say that this news won't like the most of you.

Towns v14b will be the last build we will release as SMP. I have no words or response of why I didn't post this months before. The only thing I can say, and I understand you don't care about it, is that I'm burned, really burned about the game and all it involves. I don't have the strenght to continue with it.

At some point we tried to hire someone to continue with the development, we also did some interviews to some nice coders. But at the end I messed that, because I'm so burned to show the code to other guy and explain him how all works. So we cancelled the hiring thing.

Not sure you will agree with me that v14b is a pretty good build, it solves some issues and add some new features. Adding more features won't change the game to a "finished" status, this is a never-ending story. So, I had to stop at some point and consider it finished, and I did that.

So, about the future.... we are still considering what can we do to make you happy, one of the possibilities means to make the code open source, but not sure that is a good option and we are debating what can we do.

I make this post "replyable" so you can post anything you want to, I will read and reply it.

Thanks and sorry.
Xavi
Xavi Canal
supermalparit
Towns team

Re: Game status

Postby JackPS9 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:29 pm

Open source would be awesome I have to admit that.
JackPS9

Postby Badger » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:38 pm

I know that many will not agree with me on this, but I just wanted to say that I have no ill will towards you or burningpet and I have truly enjoyed playing this game despite its flaws and unfinished state. I hope the future bodes well for both of you guys.

I, too, would like to see Towns become open sourced so that others may take place from where y'all left off. Regardless of what decisions you guys make, I support it as I feel I've gotten my money's worth from this game.

Love, your friendly neighborhood badger~<3
Badger

Postby JackPS9 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:41 pm

Badger wrote:I know that many will not agree with me on this, but I just wanted to say that I have no ill will towards you or burningpet and I have truly enjoyed playing this game despite its flaws and unfinished state. I hope the future bodes well for both of you guys.

I, too, would like to see Towns become open sourced so that others may take place from where y'all left off. Regardless of what decisions you guys make, I support it as I feel I've gotten my money's worth from this game.

My reason for open source is so I can make heads and tails of the code unlike the code I currently have on my computer, but there are over 2k errors so I can't really figure out where to even start.
JackPS9

Postby ragnar » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:46 pm

Please make the code open source.

There are several people very interesting in heavy modding and continuing where you stopped.

This could bring some very good mods, and towns can continue to grow, and even maybe bring some benefits to you, in same way as mods like dayz or dota did make the base game sell more (a lot of people got arma or warcraft3 just for those two mods)
ragnar

Postby Badger » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:51 pm

JackPS9 wrote:
Badger wrote:I know that many will not agree with me on this, but I just wanted to say that I have no ill will towards you or burningpet and I have truly enjoyed playing this game despite its flaws and unfinished state. I hope the future bodes well for both of you guys.

My reason for open source is so I can make heads and tails of the code unlike the code I currently have on my computer, but there are over 2k errors so I can't really figure out where to even start.

Quite honestly, I'm a dumbass badger, so I can't do anything with the code myself. It'll only benefit me if others can put the source to use. ^_^
Badger

Postby muzzy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:34 am

Thank you for coming back to the forums Xavi.

Regarding the open source idea, could you share your thoughts about it? Perhaps a compromise can be found to make it work in a way you're okay with.
muzzy

Postby exelsisxax » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:37 am

Finally, the name has been engraved on the gravestone a week after burial. I'll check back in a week to see if there's actually an open source thing that I can help with.
exelsisxax

Postby Hyrus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:30 am

Well, that is that. Can't say I am pleased with the lack of explanations, especially considering this should have been posted months ago, as you said yourself. I appreciate the courage of showing up, though.

Do these mentioned options get discussed with the community, however, or is it something we'll have to wait for another announcement to fully put an end to this story?
Hyrus

Postby YetiChow » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:49 am

Thanks for stepping up to explain, it takes serious guts to make a call like that and then publicly explain it. As I've said before, I have no regrets in buying the game and I do agree that v14 is pretty impressive if only as a "proof of concept" - you can do things inside Towns that you can't do in any other game, so on that front you did achieve your main intentions if not the "written goal"

As for open source, I'll repeat my idea about "legacy development" - open source gets messy very quickly, but you have already found a group of people who you were prepared to consider hiring so IMO they would be a great place to start. Give them a chance to understand the code and clean it up, and then when it's much more presentable they can always look at open-source later down the track when the game is in a state conducive to it.

In the meantime, you don't just need to be a decent coder but a damn good coder to make the game behave while adding new code, and letting it out into the wild won't do the game, the community, or the interested open-source developers any favours. Much better IMO to let a small team or a few experienced individuals get to grips with it and make it presentable than to simply throw off any restrictions and hope for the best.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Next

Return to General discussion