Aqueduct and irrigation basic ideas

General discussion about the game

Aqueduct and irrigation basic ideas

Postby Janovick » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:44 am

Yes, I know there are similar threads to this, but this one is a bit specific.

So, I'm testing quite a few aqueducts to irrigate my crops. I've seen a design here that I've searched like hell, but I can't find it. I'm trying to do it like this:

- Get a mountain and clear out all the odd-number floors (1;3;5;7, etc).
- Make holes going from the very top to the bottom. Each hole has 5 squares (may be 4) distance from the next hole.
- Make some sort of irrigation system that pours water from the top levels, in a way that it creates a constant flow of water trough the wholes, irrigating the 2 distance squares in every floor. This allow to makes multilevel sugar and bamboo farms.

WHAT IT NEEDS
- A water aqueduct system that can spread the water well, faster than it evaporates.
- From my experience, you'll need an underwater pool (usually level -2) to avoid overflown of water on ground level (1), that would destroy every planted sugarcane and bamboo.
- Also, from my experience: making a huge pool on the top floors doesn't work very well. I've done it and on the floor of that pool, instead of solid blocks, I placed the water gates. Unfortunately, the pool design seems to evaporate a lot of water, before it could reach all holes.
- And again, from the previous experiences, making a self refill system (where you "pump" the water that falls on the underground back up seems to allow you a better control of it.

SO...
- My resolution is very poor, I'm playing on a 4 years old netbook, that's why I didn't post any pictures.
- Does someone know any other good design, similar to what I pretend to build?
- PLEASE HELP ME ;)
Janovick

Re: Aqueduct and irrigation basic ideas

Postby johanwanderer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:02 am

Instead of irrigating from the top, pump it from the bottom. That way you don't have any overflow problems (a water elevator will only bring the water up 1 level).

Because you need 2 layers for water (1 layer for the bottom + 1 layer for river bank), you need to hollow out level 1, 4, 7, 10 instead of just the odd level floors.
So:
  • Dig a 2-wide trench from your river/lake to the bottom of the mountain. Bottom of trench is level-0
  • Dig other irrigation canals as needed (for planting on level 1)
  • Place a water elevator (or 2) at the end of trench (on level 0). This will bring water to level 1
  • Place water elevators on top of those to bring water to level 2
  • Again for level 3
  • Surround the whole pump setup with walls on level 1, 2 (to prevent spill)
  • Level 3 is actually your irrigation canals for planting on level 4
  • Repeat all the way up. You should have a water column with outlets on level 0, 3, 6, 9 without spillages.
Of course, save your game first... it might not work the way I described :)
johanwanderer

Postby Janovick » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:03 pm

johanwanderer wrote:Instead of irrigating from the top, pump it from the bottom. That way you don't have any overflow problems (a water elevator will only bring the water up 1 level).

Because you need 2 layers for water (1 layer for the bottom + 1 layer for river bank), you need to hollow out level 1, 4, 7, 10 instead of just the odd level floors.
So:
  • Dig a 2-wide trench from your river/lake to the bottom of the mountain. Bottom of trench is level-0
  • Dig other irrigation canals as needed (for planting on level 1)
  • Place a water elevator (or 2) at the end of trench (on level 0). This will bring water to level 1
  • Place water elevators on top of those to bring water to level 2
  • Again for level 3
  • Surround the whole pump setup with walls on level 1, 2 (to prevent spill)
  • Level 3 is actually your irrigation canals for planting on level 4
  • Repeat all the way up. You should have a water column with outlets on level 0, 3, 6, 9 without spillages.
Of course, save your game first... it might not work the way I described :)
I really appreciate the help.

I was thinking of doing this, but this way, I must have 3 levels per crop. (One to be the floor of the canal, other where the water will go, and a third for the crops). Plus, by making irrigation canals, I lose some blocks, where I could be planting. So, this is why I'm trying the original design. It's 2 levels per crop, but the evaporation, etc is making it a hell to design.
Janovick

Postby johanwanderer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Can't you also just pump up through the "holes" and have a bunch of (non-draining) 1x1 reservoirs up top? I guess you would then lose a 3x3 area for the hole + walls, but you still have 12 squares around each "hole" for the crops.

Practically, why do you need so much bamboo and sugar?
johanwanderer

Postby YetiChow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:42 am

johanwanderer wrote:Can't you also just pump up through the "holes" and have a bunch of (non-draining) 1x1 reservoirs up top? I guess you would then lose a 3x3 area for the hole + walls, but you still have 12 squares around each "hole" for the crops.

Practically, why do you need so much bamboo and sugar?

Bamboo, once you get it growing, is just as much of a wonder-crop as flowers when it comes to selling. Most caravans buy it (and you can make bamboo poles to sell to the military caravan), it's relatively fast growing and you don't really use it for anything else so you can 'set and forget' the produciton and just leave to stockpile.

If you're feeding a significant town on cakes, you need quite a large sugar cane farm. At 2 canes per sugar cube (that is, 2 canes per cake), a town of 50 people eating cakes are going to need about 100 sugar canes PER DAY. Of course there's a reason that cakes aren't designed as an everyday food, but some people really want that happiness boost...

Personally, I would just go with 'watering holes' - dig out an underground reservoir one layer under the surface, and then dig out holes in the surface every 4 blocks apart in a grid. Under each hole put a water elevator, and then till the 2 tiles around each hole (you should end up with a big area if tilled land and holes every four blocks, if there are untilled spaces then you've made a mistake). Fill the reservoir with water from your aqueduct (or simply connect it up to the river), and hey presto you have the easiest irrigation system imaginable - everything is in range of a water block, and you're getting max space efficiency (for the record you get 24 irrigated tiles for every hole, quite a bargain).

If you REALLy want to overkill it with your food supply, you can extend 'pipes' around each hole and then use the mountian 'shelving' idea. This will cut down efficiency of space by exactly 1/3 (since 8 former crop spaces are now taken by the 'pipes'), but you can extend it up indefinitely (well, at least until you run out of mountain :lol:) so it might be worthwhile.

Although really, IMO it's easier to start by just tiling the riverbank - if you need to do this your feed your townies then you should look at other options (unless, of course, you want to be the world's leading exporter of bamboo products or something like that... :lol:)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby EnvizionRev » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:49 am

johanwanderer wrote:Practically, why do you need so much bamboo and sugar?

For eating cake with bamboo chopsticks. Duh!

That's very practical..... right? I mean... I have been doing it right all these years.... right?....
-- Envizion Revelations, Towns Moderator
EnvizionRev

Postby johanwanderer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:25 am

LOL, I guess my sugarcane strategy needs a rethink. I currently have 2 bushes (total), just in case they gets over harvested and goes extinct.

At least now I know what to do on the other river bank :)
johanwanderer

Postby Bimthurn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:06 am

Your pool idea on the top would work if you had chambers 3x3 with 4 flood gates (each side of the square) that once that chanber is full you open to have water start to fill another chamber, the evaporation is minimal and its easy to control.
Bimthurn

Postby johanwanderer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:56 am

Bimthurn wrote:Your pool idea on the top would work if you had chambers 3x3 with 4 flood gates (each side of the square) that once that chanber is full you open to have water start to fill another chamber, the evaporation is minimal and its easy to control.

But that requires too much manual control over food production though. I'm always afraid that if I do something like that, I would forget something and they all starve.

Actually, I messed up something with my automatic production (adding too many cooking pots or something) and my food production went WAY down (to the level of 1 bread in storage -- for a town of 180 + 12 heroes.) I had to pause the game, find out where all the food producing townies are, figuring out where the bottlenecks were, and fixed them. Nobody starved during that time, but I just happened to be looking at my food panel at the time. I could have been really bad. I can't imagine having to do things manually.

Of course, if you're talking about bamboos then it's a different story :)
johanwanderer

Postby ruhrpumpenpump » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:40 am

An aqueduct is a watercourse constructed to convey water. In modern engineering, the term aqueduct is used for any system of pipes, ditches, canals, tunnels, and other structures used for this purpose.The term aqueduct also often refers specifically to a bridge on an artificial watercourse. The word is derived from the Latin aqua ("water") and ducere ("to lead").
ruhrpumpenpump

Next

Return to General discussion