[14e] [MOD] Towns++ v14e2

Post here your released mods

Re: [14e] [MOD] Towns++ v14e

Postby Bud1980 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:43 am

Everytime the people place items like walls on the ground the game freezes for just a sec but i remove the mod just to see if it was the game and it wasnt and i only have your mod on my towns so im just letting you know there is something wrong there
Bud1980

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:25 am

Thanks for your report
What version of towns++ are you using,

it's strange, because I don't actually change anything to do with that

You say you remove the mod and it doesn't happen, question, are you plating the same saved game ?? if so i can't see it working as new stuff and priorities and types are in the game and if you have any of them in the save game it should just crash from memory.

How far into the game are you when this happens. the only thing i can think of that could be causing slowdowns like this would be memory, as Towns++ does have a lot more in it, Data wise, and graphics.

If we can try to track down whats causing it it would be great.

what is your cpu , graphics card , ram, screen resolution , OS , version of Java, etc.

as your the first to report this i honestly have no idea. Its strange that its not doing it in vanilla , if it was to do with path finding you'd think it would also happen in vanilla towns.
BlueSteelAUS

Postby Bud1980 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:01 pm

its the newest version you can be at the start of the game and as soon as you start building walls it does it
and also (Clay Stone Brick Block) the townies can walk right through them

ATI Radeon 5600 its HD
Duelcore 3.0GHz
8 gig ram
Screen: 1360 x 768
Newest java version
64-bit Operating System

i keep everything up to date

and no i wasnt playing the same game i started a new game
it has something to do with the walls i know that much
i have still been playing it and its just the walls that that do it even when they do mining it does it
Bud1980

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:38 pm

looking into it. to see if something has been left out, looks like they mightn't have been flagged as walls (because your people can walk through them.. at least that's what it's sounding like)
BlueSteelAUS

Postby Bud1980 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:19 pm

ya i play this mod the most i have never had problems with it before and its my favorite mod :) i hope you find the problem
Bud1980

Postby TheObserver » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm experiencing the same issues as the person back on page 72 did - with a clean install of Towns, I installed the contents of "Towns-plus-plus-14e" into my main Towns folder, but when I try to run Towns.exe, it opens the program for a few seconds and then quits. Here is what the crash log says (the "error" file created when this first happens):

[Sep 24, 2014 11:23:51 AM][Towns] Error Code [0]
[Sep 24, 2014 11:23:51 AM][Towns] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
at sun.misc.Unsafe.allocateMemory(Native Method)
at java.nio.DirectByteBuffer.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(Unknown Source)
at xaos.utils.p.a(Unknown Source)
at xaos.main.a.a(Unknown Source)
at xaos.main.a.<init>(Unknown Source)
at xaos.Towns.main(Unknown Source)

As was discussed on page 72 when this error was happening, I uninstalled and re-installed Java, and did a fresh reinstall of Towns.

It might also be helpful to clarify what files are important to running the mod - as I don't have Markdown or Git Pro, README.md, .gitattributes, and .gitignore showed up without any affiliation. Converting the files to ".txt" allowed me to see what was in them (with the formatting completely messed up, natch), but that did not give me any insight into where they should go, if anywhere besides the root folder.

Thanks for your attention.
TheObserver

Postby LittleMikey » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:09 am

TheObserver wrote:I'm experiencing the same issues as the person back on page 72 did - with a clean install of Towns, I installed the contents of "Towns-plus-plus-14e" into my main Towns folder, but when I try to run Towns.exe, it opens the program for a few seconds and then quits. Here is what the crash log says (the "error" file created when this first happens):

[Sep 24, 2014 11:23:51 AM][Towns] Error Code [0]
[Sep 24, 2014 11:23:51 AM][Towns] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
at sun.misc.Unsafe.allocateMemory(Native Method)
at java.nio.DirectByteBuffer.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(Unknown Source)
at xaos.main.a.a(Unknown Source)
at xaos.main.a.<init>(Unknown Source)
at xaos.Towns.main(Unknown Source)

As was discussed on page 72 when this error was happening, I uninstalled and re-installed Java, and did a fresh reinstall of Towns.

It might also be helpful to clarify what files are important to running the mod - as I don't have Markdown or Git Pro, README.md, .gitattributes, and .gitignore showed up without any affiliation. Converting the files to ".txt" allowed me to see what was in them (with the formatting completely messed up, natch), but that did not give me any insight into where they should go, if anywhere besides the root folder.

Thanks for your attention.

Those files you listed are all ones created by Github to track changes with the code, it's what we use to update the code in the mod. You should be able to delete them without anything breaking, since you won't be uploading anything. But they don't affect the way the mod runs at all.
LittleMikey

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:03 am

Files that aren't needed to plat Towns++ in towns++ that are in the archive.

in root directory
changelog.txt(also in original vanilla towns)
changelog_language.txt(also in original vanilla towns)
licence.txt(also in original vanilla towns)
the font's licence.txt(also in original vanilla towns)

(readme files containing instructions and history of the mod)
Towns++xxxxx.readme
readme.md
towens++ todo.txt

(stuff git adds)
.gitattributes
.gitignore
the whole .git directory

in the data/graphics directory
(stuff for other devs/modders)
the whole Towns Graphic Chart Directory
the whole unfinished directory

the thing with that error message is java telling you that its run out of memory. so you might need to tweak your java settings or get more memory (or it may have been a bug in towns code)
Towns++ doesn't change any Code in towns.exe its only changes/adds/removes data which gets read into the game. and yes you could run out of memory, however none of the files listed above are actually loaded/used when you run towns, and definitely not causing this error

the files in this archive (as stated in the readme and in the first post on this thread in the forum) simple get copied into your towns directory, so the stuff that's in the sub directories will automatically get copied into their respective sub folders in your main towns directory
BlueSteelAUS

Postby TheObserver » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:04 am

Ok, when running the base Towns program, javaw.exe allocates between 575,000 - 590,000K when running the program on the main menu, and increases to 790,000K when actually running.

Using [url=http://www.wikihow.com/Increase-Java-Memory-in-Windows-7 this page[/url] as a guide, I've allocated three gigabytes "-Xms3072m" with the same memory error.

Something doesn't seem right.
TheObserver

Postby BlueSteelAUS » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:41 pm

I honestly don't know what to say, I can't duplicate this out of memory error. have you tried grabbing the dev / master version ?

just taking some stabs in the dark here now

check in your control panel -> system-> environment settings , for a variable java options , it might be limited in there ??

check your .towns/mods directory. you might have a mod still in there that its trying to load at startup thats conflicting.

have you edited any of the files , the encoding needs to be utf-8 not ansi or ascii.

what are you using to unzip the files, I use winzip

you could also try updating java to 1.8 and uninstalling 1.7 (your java install might be corrupted)

try , (honestly i've running out of ideas.) ????

is anyone else have any ideas or the same problem ????
BlueSteelAUS

PreviousNext

Return to Released mods