Post here your released mods

[v13a] Map Editor - version 0.2.0-alpha

Postby ldd » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:57 am

=== Description ===
Webapp:
http://quiet-headland-7392.herokuapp.com
Offline version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6982928/map-editor.zip

To use: simply extract, double click on index.html and there you go.

=== Browser support ===
Both versions:
Google chrome and chromium
(Tested on Ubuntu and windows 8)
Added: support for features for firefox [very slow]

=== Version history ===
alpha releases:
0.2.0: Added initial complex brushes. Added 7 other terrains: jungle, lava, gold, silver, copper, iron and gravel
0.1.3: Changed UI, fixed spawning cube when using different y-coord values, added a 'fill level' button, added some options
for the brush
fixed: exporting maps now works correctly.
fixed: seeing recent maps works on chrome
0.1.2: added support for firefox, made changes to enable textures soon, small UI changes
0.1.1: ability to specify x-coord added for spawning cube (only the first spawn in a row will be considered)
0.1.0: initial release

=== Features ===
editor:

edit any surface level with a limited set of different types of cubes

currently supported terrains:
    green (grass), blue(water),dark gray(stone), orange(sand), white(snow),red(lava), light green(jungle), yellow(gold), light grey (silver), copperish(copper), gray(iron), black(gravel), brown (dirt)

As usual, purple is spawn
    add various spawn points (each spawn point will have exactly one townie. This feature works perfectly for 1 spawn, additional spawns might generate games with a bugged interface

change the brush size for adding cubes
    use a circular brush

other:
export valid towns save file (this is a background download! so feel free to continue editing your map)
take a screenshot of your currently working map
reset everything and start anew

=== Planned new features ===
For version 0.2.x:
    add more complex brushes [working on it]
For version 0.3.x:
    add support for textures [important]
    change the number of top levels and the number of low levels (this might require a refresh )
For version 0.4.x:
    add support for trees, animals, etc [important]
    change the name of your townies
Other (planned to be implemented sometime after version 0.5.x and before initial standard release 1.0.0):
    import your already created towns save (this will be veeerrrry hard and I'll do it eventually)
    share map: whenever townmods.net implements this in their API, you'll have the ability to directly share it there
    add support for the rest of terrains [somewhat unimportant]

=== Tips ===
currently, importing a file doesn't do anything. Neither do the share map button or the name and number of top/low levels input fields. As it's an early build, I recommend you don't use it to actually play a game.

=== Known issues ===
    spawn will always spawn a townie at level 1 (or level 12 if you want to get technical) at whichever position is picked by the player. If an additional spawn point is made in the same row(z coord) then the additional spawn point will be ignored.

Firefox performance is terrible. THIS WILL NEVER EVER be fixed. (unless absolutely required by someone)
Graphical glitches:
    when zooming in too close.
    When adding blocks using the circular brush, if a previous block existed, that block wouldn't be deleted and its previous color would show once in a while
    When using the fill base level button, previously existing blocks are not being deleted

=== NOTICE ===
active development of this web app has been freezed until further notice due to lack of interest. Feel free to PM me if/when you are interested in something like this. Only bugs in the form of 0.2.x-alpha releases will be added now.
Last edited by ldd on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Map Editor make and edit your own towns file!
ldd

Re: [v13a] Map Editor - version 0.1.2-alpha

Postby caprontos » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:48 am

I think its a good start. I will try to play with it more tomorrow when I have more time.. almost time to sleep now haha..

Few ideas.. (maybe easy or hard idk)...:
A "Fill" tool to change at lest the "surface" layer in to a single terrain so you don't have to try to manually fill it

A "mountain" brush that just spawns a mountain at a spot (this can be done either by random or maybe a set mountain.. I don't know)...

A way to generate a new world using the default stuff.. like generate a "normal map" that can then be edited.... and a try again so you can keep trying till you find one you like.. then edit it as you want.. Would be handy for someone who wants a more specific map ..

Some indication of what each slider is.. though easy to find out.. and maybe a way to know how many blocks you have it set to..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby ldd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:57 am

caprontos wrote:A "Fill" tool to change at lest the "surface" layer in to a single terrain so you don't have to try to manually fill it

Consider this done
caprontos wrote:A "mountain" brush that just spawns a mountain at a spot (this can be done either by random or maybe a set mountain.. I don't know)...

Set mountain. This will come with an 'advanced brush' some time after I add all or most of the terrains in the game. Definitively before 0.5.0, which should be the first beta release

caprontos wrote:A way to generate a new world using the default stuff.. like generate a "normal map" that can then be edited.... and a try again so you can keep trying till you find one you like.. then edit it as you want.. Would be handy for someone who wants a more specific map ..

Trust me, I wish this would be doable but I consider it just prohibitively insane to do with just one person. It's all hex code. And a lot of trial and error to know what is what. But it was fun xD, in a weird way.

caprontos wrote:Some indication of what each slider is.. though easy to find out.. and maybe a way to know how many blocks you have it set to..

Consider this done too. Testing it tomorrow.

Should I focus on: adding a complex brush, adding all terrains or getting textures to work (with some work... since I don't know how to get Town's textures and I guess I could use some minecraft-ish textures)?
ldd

Postby caprontos » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:39 pm

Trust me, I wish this would be doable but I consider it just prohibitively insane to do with just one person. It's all hex code. And a lot of trial and error to know what is what. But it was fun xD, in a weird way.

I see... so once possible you'd just keep making the map in towns till you like it then load it.

Should I focus on: adding a complex brush, adding all terrains or getting textures to work (with some work... since I don't know how to get Town's textures and I guess I could use some minecraft-ish textures)?

Probably terrains first since with out them your limited in how useful it is.. Then the brushes or textures. Also towns textures are in side the graphics folder in there own sheets.. but idk if it would be easy to use them or not..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby ldd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:41 pm

I just pushed the things that I said I would change. I also fixed a couple of bugs.
I'll add most terrains now and textures after that. I know where towns textures are, but I don't know how to use them in that state and I don't have permission from the makers to use them...
Right now, I'm thinking about using a free minecraft texture pack and giving instructions to replace the texture files for the offline version.
I plan to add support for ~10 terrains
ldd

Re: [v13a] Map Editor - version 0.2.0-alpha

Postby johanwanderer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:02 pm

I wen't on vacation for a few days, and voila!

Very nice! I'll play it it when I get home.
johanwanderer

Return to Released mods