A few questions before I can show you my work

Show us your creations and tactics!

A few questions before I can show you my work

Postby Hyrus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Hello!

I have been playing the game since the Steam release, yet only since the savegame compatibility have I stuck with a single town to make it really elaborate. Now I have hit what seems to be a little bit of "builder's block" (no pun intended) and I can't figure out what I should do next in my little city... So I would like to post my savegame and a few screenshots to see if you guys could help me out.

But for that I need to know a couple things:

• How do I take those screenshots from really far away, that show the whole town?
  • How do I find my savegame if I have the Steam version of the game?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Hyrus

Re: A few questions before I can show you my work

Postby caprontos » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:29 pm

the game should be in your .towns folder. (if you search for .towns should find it)... mines at:

C:\Users\username\.towns\save

As for screenshots.. The way is to.. take lots of screenshots and paste them together in to one big one...

You can try maxing out your screen resolution and play the game windowed - this can make you able to get more in each screenshot.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby Hyrus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Sounds like a lot of work just for the screenshots... I guess I'll just take a few of the important parts.

And I found the save, thank you... Is there a place I can easily upload it to?
Hyrus

Postby caprontos » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:51 pm

I just used mediafire for the things I needed to.. Maybe some prefers something else idk.

and it can be a bit of work but .. those full shots do really tie the town together.. Devs plan to eventualy try to add a way to save a screenshot of the entire map.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby Hyrus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Let me now explain a little bit about the concept of the town.

I started it casually, before the water handling features were known, so I built the canal before I knew they'd be implemented. The city is basically being built with a backstory in mind: that a few families own parts of it, represented by the colors of the roads around the buildings - structures surrounded by green road are owned by the family who runs the workshops and farms, those surrounded by red belong to those who run the taverns and restaurants, blue for the traders, purple for the noblemen and yellow is for the housing projects. So far those are the colors I have in mind, but I'm thinking about a military color. Every traditional building of a town that I could think of is there, including an underground crypt (tavern also extends underground, as well as the basements of buildings).

The ideas I still have, but haven't built yet, are: an armory, a castle, a plaza, an aqueduct, docks and a lighthouse. Those last two will wait until V11, but the first two I simply don't know how I want yet, so they haven't been started.

The prison is part of the castle complex, which will have its start and entrance northwest of the prison, in that big empty space before the canal, and will extend north and a little bit east until the river, eventually crossing it with a huge arched "bridge" and get to the other side, where there will be a few towers and maybe stables (something I've been hoping to get implemented to increase movement speed on the surface).

The plaza will be built on that huge square space southeast of the blue-roofed mansion, but I need to figure out how to handle the water in fountains fed from underground tunnels so that it doesn't overflow, like the last time I tried... And the aqueduct will probably be built after the castle is done, because I want it to cross the structure.

The problem is that I don't know how to exactly implement many of those things, and am kinda stuck... Any ideas, suggestions, criticisms or comments on how to improve my town? It's sort of a long term project, so I'd really appreciate some input, even if it takes a lot of work! Have I forgotten some essencial building or structure? Please let me know!

The savegame is in the next page!
Last edited by Hyrus on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hyrus

Postby caprontos » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Its because you have less then 10 posts so the spam thing they are using thinks you are spam..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby Hyrus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Ah that sucks... I could post one per message apparently, but I'm not gonna spam the topic for that... Anyway, if you can check it out and criticize it, that'd be great!
Hyrus

Postby caprontos » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:10 am

Hyrus wrote:Ah that sucks... I could post one per message apparently, but I'm not gonna spam the topic for that... Anyway, if you can check it out and criticize it, that'd be great!

well the site you used wants my email to download it.. So I doubt many will - I would suggest uploading to somewhere that doesn't require that..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby lordrabies » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:07 am

Make a facebook album,
Then put everything in there.

To protect your privacy you just right click (source or whatever it is in english) and take the image url.
That way people can't see your real name.

EDIT: Please post appropriate Images for the Forum. - Tom K.
Last edited by tom k. on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed inappropriate image
lordrabies

Postby Hyrus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm

I wish I'd never clicked on that... I'll try the mediafire you mentioned
Hyrus

Next

Return to Screens & tips