Short Story: Towns - the Goblin War

Show us your creations and tactics!

Short Story: Towns - the Goblin War

Postby evaldazz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:01 am

New series up guys. I enjoyed doing the last one so much I decided to do another.
Sorry it's taken me so long to post this, been shifing house and my net got cut off right when I tried to upload it, :?
While it is not essential to read 'Prelude to Towns' before 'The Goblin War', as they are completely separate, some ideas do cross over between the two stories.

Towns – The Goblin War
Guy Severn

Part one - Treading on myth

The tranquillity of Alice’s sleep was suddenly washed away. From her resting place on the grassy hill, she peered through her hazy vision. The figure she thought to be her sister, was something horrific. In the dusk it was difficult to see. It was manlike but smaller, densely muscular with oily green skin. It had knifelike fingers, long sharp ears and a contorted face. Alice gasped, only to draw its attention. It bared a long jaw of razor teeth and screeched before charging her with terrifying speed.

Isabel emerged from behind a tree and clobbered the creature with a spear handle. It immediately came at her. She tried to grab it and struggled to hold it at bay. Alice watched in horror as the creature viciously kicked, scratched and bit at her sister.

“Don’t just stare at it!” Isabel screamed at her, “Stab it!”
Alice snatched her spear from the grass. She tried to jab it without wounding her sister. Isabel finally broke free from the creature and jumped back. It narrowed its furious black eyes in on her and made ready to attack her again. She changed her grip on the weapon and hurled it as a javelin. It struck the wretched beast in the face. It released an ear piercing scream as it tumbled down the hill side. It trashed about wildly, while the two women ran for their lives.

They went straight up the raise in the hill towards a forested area. They came just over the hill when Alice tripped and fell over top of something. It was a man’s body that had been torn to shreds. Obvious they weren’t the only ones who had come across this savage creature. Before they could come to terms with what they were seeing, a second enemy appeared. Out from the trees stepped a figure much larger than the first. Isabel took hold of their only remaining spear. She stepped between the attacker and her younger sister as they raised a sword ready to strike. They circled one another for a moment, before the figure stepped out of the shadows. It revealed the arrival to be a soldier in reflective iron armour and wielding a large dark red sword. After a tense moment, the soldier spoke with anger on his tongue.

“You did this?” he accused pointing to the corpse.
“Of course not,” Isabel protested, showing the scratches on her face that matched the corpse.
The soldier kept his weapon at the ready looking around frantically, “then where is it?”
“It took a spear in the face,” she explained and took a moment to listen for any sign of pursuit, “I think it is done for.”
The soldier remained weary “I’ve never seen you two around here before, who you are?”
“Alice and Isabel Demours,” Alice announced before her sister could. “We’re immigrants from Hurroden.”
“Hurroden?” the soldier remarked kneeling alongside the body, “I thought that town was destroyed by siege a year ago?”
“Yes, thanks for reminding us,” Isabel answered with a frown.
They watched the soldier removed a red bandana from the corpse.
“Was he a friend of yours?” Alice asked him.

“Brom here? No,” he told them sliding his words back into its sheath, “He was a barbarian from the northern tribes. I saw him leaving the mines nearby in a hurry. He appeared injured and was trying to make a run for town. I saw something was trailing him. I was on patrol nearby and followed. Did you get a look at what did this?”
“It was in the shadows” Alice explained unsurely, “I...I don’t know.”
“I’ve lived here for nearly ten years and I’ve never seen anything that looked or moved like that thing,” the soldier stated taking a last sickly look at the ravaged corpse, “Or anything that does this to a man...”
“You said a town was nearby?” Isabel changed the subject. “Who are you?”
“I am Guard Oliver of Aranaea.”

The trio left the densely forested hills as the sun fell below the horizon. They trekked across stony plains that had become the hallmark of the sister’s travels in months past. Little was said along the way. Isabel had strategically placed herself between her sister and the stranger as they walked. Alice had that familiar look on her face like she would explode if she didn’t tell the stranger everything about themselves. Isabel was always cautious. They had no idea who he was. But after hours of walking in silence, she too desired to have questions answered, especially why he lied to her.

“You didn’t honestly think we were going to believe you’re from Aranaea, did you?” she asked him accusingly.
The guard suddenly halted, and drew his sword. The women reacted in fright shifting back away as he turned towards them. He then spun the sword around holding the blade so they could see the hilt. It had an engraving around the hilt, the mark of the spider. It was the supposed symbol of Aranaea.

“This blade was forged from Spiderite,” he told them, flicking the metal, “as strong as iron and half as light.”
“That could be dyed red for all I know.”
He just smiled patiently, “you’ll see the place with your own eyes soon enough.”
“That’s if we want to go.”
Alice suddenly snatched her sister’s arm and turned her around.
“What are you doing?” she said quietly so the stranger couldn’t hear.
“I don’t trust him.”
“This is so like you. You’re being paranoid. Come on, it’s a town for frogs sake. I’m tired of eating pears and snowcherries every day, using a pile of grass a bed and a rock as pillow. And what if it is Aranaea?”
“Aranaea doesn’t exist, Alice. It’s a myth. You know that.”

The guard suddenly interrupted them, “Look we should make camp. It’s not safe travelling this way at night.”
Alice looked at him strangely, “We’ve been travelling through these plains for weeks.”
“Ever wonder why there are no caravan trails here? This side of the town is Brownie country. Listen, in the morning if you want to travel with me to town you’re welcome to. If not, we’ll part ways.”

Isabel reluctantly agreed as darkness fell swiftly. She guessed if the guard really wanted to do them harm he would have done so by now. He had a very official way of speaking that gave away a sense of honour decent soldiers from decent towns had. They made a campfire near a group of jungle trees and cooked some badger meat the guard had brought along. He talked a little of Aranaea and Alice hung on every word. But none of what he said would convince Isabel.

“If you do come along,” he told them spitting out a badger bone, “you should know we have someone else from Hurroden. I don’t know his name, he keeps to himself. He’s a big guy with a stone hammer.”
“Oh my goodness,” Alice remarked to her sister, “that sounds like Gosbeck. We thought he was in the tavern when the town fell.”
“Well, you can ask him all about it tomorrow,” he said climbing to his feet, “best you get some sleep...”

Oliver never finished his sentence. He was suddenly grabbed from behind and pulled away from the light of the campfire. Isabel and Alice heard him cry out in agony. They ran to his aid and saw the creature from the forest, one side of its face only gore and missing an eye. It was biting into the soldier’s neck and using its long talons to tear through his armour.

Alice snatched a burning stick from the fire and shoved it at the creature until it jumped back, screeching in protest. Isabel grabbed the hilt of Oliver’s sword and drew it out. The creature lunged at Alice, kicking and biting. Isabel grabbed a tuft of its oily black hair and dragged it away from her sister. It spun to attack in time for her to slice through its torso. It staggered away and finally collapsed. Isabel approached it and finished it with the sword just to make sure. The creature made a few final gurgling sounds. The women looked at one another in surprise as it sounded like words. They also couldn’t help notice; upon closer examination, the creature wore ragged leather pants.

They helped Oliver back over toward the fire and used some old bits of cloth from their dresses to bandage him. He had severe lacerations in his shoulder and thigh. It looked as if he wasn’t going to be moving. He winced in pain as he drew out a short sword that was on his belt and handed it to Isabel.
“Take this to Aranaea. Tell them where they can find me.”
“We’re not going to leave you here,” Isabel snapped in disgust.
“Either you go, or we all die,” he demanded pointing a shaky mangled hand at the trees nearby. “Do you hear that?”
There was a chirping and chittering sound, and the beating of wings. They looked about the trees and could see little sets of white eyes reflecting back at them.

“What are they?” Alice whispered with a whimper.
“They’re Brownies, the ones that use those flying rodents to attack with. They can smell the blood on the air from our wounds. Listen, you have to get to Aranaea, and warn them about that creature we saw, there could be more of them.”
Isabel noticed the tree branches begin to shake as more Brownies joined the fray.
“I feel our time for leaving may be too late...”
The women huddled around the wounded guard as the sound of their assailants closed in.
Last edited by evaldazz on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
evaldazz

Re: Short Story: Towns - the Goblin War

Postby HoshiGiniro » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:27 am

((wall of text is insurmountable please put more breaks in the paragraphs so its easier to read ^_^)
Gamer mom: enjoys playing games with my child
HoshiGiniro

Postby YetiChow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:47 am

Wow, this is a really compelling read. To be honest, I had a hard time getting started with your first story but this one had none of that - it was all action, adventure and derring-do from the get go.

I'm glad that Gosbeck made it to Aranea all right. It would be nice to know what hapened to the new settlement at Hurroden - it seems as though tehy're right in the path of the goblins' march...
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby evaldazz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks Yetichow, also will try and break up paragraphs more, moving stuff from word over to the site does things I don't want it to. I hav spaced the paragraphs out a little. Let me know if you guys prefer the text this way...
evaldazz

Postby wizardjian » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:40 am

dude u should write a book. ill buy it xD
Emotions are a hiderance...
Life is just a illusion...
Toughts are usless...
Sanity is a lie...

Froggie's Diary-http://townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3544
Moving Forwards Into The Future-http://tinyurl.com/c9gulrk
wizardjian

Postby evaldazz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:14 am

LOL, thanks man, I do actually, but not a towns one. This series is fan fiction for towns and planned to run as long as we want. If you guys keep reading them, I'm happy to keep writing them. Will try and do a part a fortnight, as I have other projects to work on at the same time. :D
evaldazz

Postby wizardjian » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:19 am

lolz ur a good writer O-o cant write i can only tell stories xD
Toughts are usless...
Sanity is a lie...

wizardjian

Postby evaldazz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 am

Being a good story teller is the beginnings of being a good writer. ;)
evaldazz

Postby wizardjian » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:53 am

well time to find them old tomes and start translating anceint text into english xD
Toughts are usless...
Sanity is a lie...

wizardjian

Postby evaldazz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Sorry this one has been a little late guys, still moving stuff between houses... enjoy

Towns – The Goblin War
Guy Severn

Part two - Mark of the Spider

The two sisters ducked and dodged the swooping bats as they ran. Isabel swiped at them with the Aranean short sword while her sister waved her stone spear furiously trying to catch one of them on the pass. The gargoyle like riders snickered and taunted her as the bats flew just out of reach. They were running toward a strange structure standing against the horizon when Isabel suddenly stopped dead in her tracks.

“Alice! Stop!”

Alice skidded to a halt to find her feet inside large iron trap, its teeth glistening up at her ready to devour her leg if she moved. There were dozens of the vicious instruments all around them. She snapped her head back to see four Brownie bat riders coming down for the final attack. Just then a bat rider began spiralling out of the air crashing into a pine bush. The bat riders split up in all directions. One flew too low and had a trap snap shut, breaking creature and rider in two.

Isabel looked back at the tall square structure and saw an archer on the roof. The figure jumped down with a flawless grace and weaved in between the traps like water. She knew it could only be a hero, an Elven Archer. A knight suddenly bounded forward with none of the finesse of the Archer and hacked a bat rider to pieces with an iron short sword. The last remaining bat rider made a run, but an arrow caught it letting it fall into one of the traps with a loud snap.

The knight looked about for any sign of other hostiles then turned to the two women. His armoured helmet lowered to the short sword in Isabel’s hand. He thrust his own sword of similar design towards her throat.

“Where did you get that?!”
“A guard named Oliver,” Alice went on to plead to him, “he is wounded, you have to help him.”

The Elven Archer stood over the two women as they waited for the Knight to return. The Archer stood as a statue, never flinching, like a cat on the watch. It made Isabel feel uneasy. She didn’t look like she remained there to protect them, more like she was there to enact revenge if anything happened to Oliver. Alice seemed to have a lack of concern. As the hours passed and the sun began to rise she made a remark on the landscape.

“Water dancer…”
“What?” Isabel asked following her gaze to a waterfall now visible in the distance.
“The audience of the water dancer.”

Isabel realised she was quoting from the storybook by Amar Paulus in her satchel she brought from Hurroden. It was a passage straight out of the very tale ‘Terryn of Aranaea’ about the mythical town of Aranaea. Isabel observed the waterfall as it was picked up by the wind and noticed how it did rather take on the image of a dancing ballerina in a white dress. The other side of the valley had a collection of low lying hills which did in fact look like an audience watching the dancer’s display. If there was place to compare with the mythical valley on the road to Aranaea, this was it.

Isabel noticed the Elves’ ears prick up, long before she heard a thing. She looked back around to see the knight and a barbarian return lugging Oliver, barely alive. The knight gave the others a nod to continue on, and then took a step towards the two women.

“I hear you are immigrants,” he acknowledged, “our town isn’t far from here. We would be honoured if you would accompany us…”

The outskirts of Aranaea were not like Paulus’ tales. There were great empty wheat fields that stretched for miles. The town itself was surrounded by a short wood and stone wall that bore the familiar scars of a siege. Giant spider corpses were still visible in the wheat fields as the neared the main gates. The guards patrolling the front were wearing distinctive red metal armour, which was more elaborate than Oliver’s and bearing the mark of the spider.

“Did you find Brom?” one of the guards asked as they passed in through the gates.
“Dead,” the knight responded bluntly, “by heaven knows what.”

The women walked into the town and their eyes widened at the sight before them. A main road lined with red paving and great apples trees ran the length of the town, towards a great plaza at the end. The plaza had the image of a huge spider made out of different white and red stones. The buildings were numerous and all crafted from stone walls with red roof tiles. The roads were all lined with immaculate gardens and stone sculptures and a great temple at the far end of the plaza sat on a raise in the terrain overlooking a great dining hall and the rest of Aranaea.

There were many people about going about their every day chores. To Isabel, Aranaea appeared to be as populated as Hurroden had been, if with a few more guards. It was obviously richer, with more materials and rare metals. They passed a bakery where the smell of a fresh snowcherry pie caught her attention and made her stomach rumble.

They eventually saw enough of the town and were led to some old wooden dorms at the far corner of town. The knight led them inside.

“It isn’t much,” he admitted, “but it is sufficient for rest. When you are ready, come to the dining hall to eat, Terryn will want to see you.”

Isabel sat in the great dining hall and enjoyed her first stove cooked meal in nearly a year. It was a huge cross shaped building with a tall roof, dark stone walls, stain-glass windows and rows and rows of stone sculptures representing passed heroes of Aranaea. Alice sat across from her, engrossed in her storybook by Paulus. She had a fervent smile on her face.

“Did you ever believe we would be here, Is? In Aranaea?”
“I’m not sure I believe it still.”
Alice noticed a lack of enthusiasm in her sister’s face. “You had that same look when we first arrived in Hurroden.”
“Yes and what happened there?”
“Aranaea has fought off a bunch of sieges, things will be different.”
“It’s not Aranaea I’m worried about.”
“What then?”
“It’s Terryn…” she told her seriously, “how many towns do you remember are run by heroes?”
“Well none, but this is no ordinary town. Paulus says he was…”
“Never mind Paulus,” she interrupted her sister, “You need to stop listening to fairytales Alice and start using your head. A hero only wants riches, death and glory. You can’t build a town on those things.”

They were suddenly interrupted with the arrival of a large knight in dark red armour with a well built barbarian carrying a large stone hammer.

“Gosbeck!” Alice cried out and rushed over to throw her arms around him.
He looked embarrassed as the girl’s head barely came halfway up his torso. He gave Isabel a nod.
“It’s good to see you both,” he replied in his usual simple manor, “I thought I was the only one who got out…”

The knight didn’t bother to introduce himself. By the opulence of his Spiderbane plate armour, it was obviously Terryn. He walked up alongside Isabel and sat on the edge of the table. She immediately noticed a strange weapon over his back, a long curved blade in a dark yellow colouring. Isabel didn’t put much stock in Alice’s story books, but she did feel a little small in his presence.

“Guard Oliver tells me you helped butcher a brownie chief.”
“It wasn’t a brownie,” she replied.
“Small, viciously, sharp teeth, long claws, sounds like one to me,” he remarked, “but that’s besides to point. What matters is you seem to be able to handle yourself and the guard is short a few, due to recent events.”
“We’re not soldiers,” she told him seeing Alice eyeing her in disbelief.
“Neither is anyone else in the Guard,” he laughed with Gosbeck. “Not at first.”
“Come on Is,” Alice complained, “this will be much more fun than gardening, lugging stones or baking like in Hurroden.”
She scowled at her sister, “Don’t you remember what happened to the guards at Hurroden? They were the first to die when the siege began.”
“We can handle giant spiders,” Terryn told her, “no spider has ever breached our defences. We can teach you to never fear a spider again.”
“We’ll do it,” Alice told the knight before her disgusted sister could protest further.
“Excellent,” he told the two women clapping his hands, “come by the armoury after you’ve eaten, we’ll get you kitted out.”

It was night time of the second day and Alice stood by the main gate into the town as rain poured down over her wooden armour. She held her iron short sword, her hands shaking in the cold. From the other side of the gate Isabel strolled on over to join her.

“Having fun yet?”
“Shut up,” Alice snapped at her. “I still prefer this to gardening. Why couldn’t we go with the others on patrol?”
“Because we’re from Hurroden and they don’t trust us.”
“That’s just bull sh…”
Alice froze in mid speech, her eyes widening. Isabel followed her gaze to the main road where the figure of a man stood. The two women drew their short swords.
“Who goes there?!”

A guard from one of the patrols staggered into the light of the torches. His red armour was torn apart, deep wounds gushed blood up all down his arms and legs. He made a few more feet and finally collapsed, dying immediately. Alice and Isabel stared down at the man immediately recognizing the distinctive wounds. Isabel looked ahead into the darkness of the night and saw eyes glistening back at her.
Last edited by evaldazz on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
evaldazz

Next

Return to Screens & tips