Playing with the various designs

Show us your creations and tactics!

Playing with the various designs

Postby johanwanderer » Wed May 29, 2013 6:25 am

I'm hoping to keep track of my various designs here, trying to be as efficient as possible, while also look as nice as possible :)

The complete set of screenshots is on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/johanwande ... =imagewall

I didn't take screenshots of my earlier attempts. Maybe I'll go back and revisit my earlier towns at some point.

The screenshots here are clipped, but you can use the link above to see the full images.

My current town is designed around 27x27 offsetting super blocks, with 3 spaces in between for roads and decorations. This keeps happiness up even while the townies are running around doing their things:
Saved game: http://townsmods.net/projects/view/73

The ground floor houses a dining room and market. The upper floors are for personal and tavern rooms.

Once that gets to 100 population, I started to try experimenting with different wall facades
(I actually have both stone and brick facades up, but the forum clips the brick facade off.)

I'll try a few more once those blocks are completed.
Last edited by johanwanderer on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johanwanderer

Re: Playing with the various designs

Postby johanwanderer » Thu May 30, 2013 7:08 am

After reading the discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10245, I decided to add a roof over my kitchen to improve efficiency. Just to be different, I made it a glass roof, and changed the farm fences into glass walls, making it look like a greenhouse. To add to the effects, I lit the whole interior using green hanging lights.

The Steam link (OP) also has the interior view.

johanwanderer

Postby Niranufoti » Thu May 30, 2013 7:41 am

Is it just me or are the cacti and trees sticking out through the roof?
Niranufoti

Postby johanwanderer » Thu May 30, 2013 7:07 pm

Niranufoti wrote:Is it just me or are the cacti and trees sticking out through the roof?

Trees, even though only have an actual height of 1, have always been drawn at at least 4 blocks high. My ground-level roof is only 3 high, so yes, they're sticking out :)
johanwanderer

Postby johanwanderer » Fri May 31, 2013 2:27 am

Niranufoti wrote:Is it just me or are the cacti and trees sticking out through the roof?

So I couldn't leave it well enough alone, and had to raise it up two levels...
It was a tricky business, as I had to re-hang the lights from the top. Four townies perished while getting stuck on light fixtures and starved to death.
johanwanderer

Postby Chrisb78 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:33 am

Nice glass house. We need some rounded glass so we can build a dome over our cities.
Chrisb78

Postby johanwanderer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:39 pm

Need to start building in the dungeon, too, so that the townies/heroes have a place to stop and rest.

johanwanderer

Postby johanwanderer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:17 am

Hollowing out a mountain to make room for the second building. The question is what to put in the new grass/sand section of the building...

johanwanderer

Postby LittleMikey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:06 am

I love the greenhouse! Maybe build the corners out of wood so they don't have the gaps?
LittleMikey

Postby johanwanderer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:16 am

LittleMikey wrote:I love the greenhouse! Maybe build the corners out of wood so they don't have the gaps?

Thanks! I was actually thinking about making a "frame" for it instead. Both around the top as well as up and down the four corners. It would be cool to mod in some iron/steel framing though, but I'll have to experiment with the various wall blocks and see how they look first.
johanwanderer

Next

Return to Screens & tips