A temple in the jungle

Show us your creations and tactics!

A temple in the jungle

Postby Chrisb78 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:50 am

I've really enjoyed reading the stories that many of you have written about the adventures of your townies and figured I'd take a shot at it myself. Enjoy.

---------------

My name is Walter Marches and I’m writing this as a tribute to the great monument that we are planning to begin building tomorrow. I want people to know that these structures were not always here. We conquered the jungle and built the first as a home. As our numbers grew we became determined to build grander structures to rise above the trees. I do not know how things will turn out, but I do want our history to be remembered. It all started about a year ago...

I awoke from a restless sleep to the sound of a scream. I opened my eyes and watched quietly as my captors dragged three more prisoners past the totem and dropped them on the grass near where I lay. I waited for the froggies to leave and crawled over to the new comers. I saw it was two women and a man. They brought our numbers up to eleven total.

“What is this place,” the man asked in almost a whisper.

“We’re somewhere deep in the jungle.” I replied. That was all I knew. I came from a village newly built on the edge of this jungle. Last night the froggies came to our village and I was taken prisoner along with several of the village women. When we were thrown down by the totem there were already three women here. “I don’t know what they want with us. They’ve left us alone all day.” I gestured over at the frog men who were keeping an eye on us then turned back to those who were with me. “Are you from one of the nearby villages?”

The man stroked his beard as if unsure how to answer. “No. My name is Rowen. I was taking these two up north.” He glanced at the two women who had been brought with him. One was crying and the other appeared to be attempting to comfort her. That is Ysmay and her handmaiden. Ysmay is…” He paused before continuing, “gifted. I must get her up north so that she might fulfill her destiny.”

Rowen stopped to look at the group of prisoners. Two men. Nine women. All of us terrified. He then looked at the froggies. “There are only five of them here. The rest seem to have gone off. Likely they are out raiding. We can escape if we act now. Are you with me?’

I had thought about it all day since my capture but knew that I didn’t stand a chance. I still didn’t like our odds but I knew Rowen was right. If we were to have a chance, we would have to go now. We quickly put a plan together. If we worked together, we could fight the five froggies who had been left to guard us. We could then disappear into the jungle and find our way to safety.

With Rowen at the lead, we rushed the guards. We took one down quickly before they even knew we were upon them. We rushed the other froggies and worked to take them down. We had only our fists as weapons and they were armed with spears. I tried hard to ignore the screaming around me but I couldn’t ignore that things were not going well for us. I looked over and saw that two of our group had fallen, but so had two more of the froggies.

Rowen grabbed a spear from the hands of one of the dead froggies, and stood between us and the remaining two guards. They seemed hesitant to attack seeing that they were outnumbered and now one of us was armed. I looked at my companions. All of us were covered in scratches. Several of the women had suffered more severe wounds at the hands of the froggies. While I had no doubts that we could finish off the remaining two guards, I wasn’t sure that we could do it without more casualties on our side. I looked to Rowen for him to make a move. It was then that I saw the wound in his side. He had been pierced by a spear and was bleeding freely from the wound. I was surprised he was even still standing. He looked me in the eyes and I realized that he was also surprised he was still standing.

“Walter.” He whispered my name, straining to get the words out. Promise me that you’ll get Ysmay to safety. She can not die in this jungle. She is far too important. Promise me.” I hesitated to answer. He pushed the spear into my hand. PROMISE ME!”

“Okay, I promise.”

He smiled. “Good, now run!” he shouted as he charged the remaining two froggies. I couldn’t believe it. I grabbed Ysmay’s hand and started running. Everyone followed. I turned to make sure everyone was keeping up and saw the two froggies standing over Rowen’s body. I resisted the urge to charge them. I had made a promise.

Last edited by Chrisb78 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisb78

Re: A temple in the jungle

Postby Chrisb78 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm

We ran through the night. Once we put some distance between us and the froggies, we stopped to catch our breath. All of the women looked at me for direction. We weren’t going to be able to keep this up much longer. We were tired, injured and hungry. With the froggie’s patrolling the jungle and possibly looking for us, I figured it wasn’t safe for us to stop for long. I told the group that we should get a little further from the froggie village before we stop to rest.

We started off into the jungle again. After a short while, we emerged from the trees and found ourselves just feet away from a froggie. He no doubt heard us coming through the jungle because he was ready. He immediately ran his spear through the chest of one of the girls. I heard the screams and prepaired to do battle. I turned to look at my companions and saw that they were all running in the opposite direction. I wasn’t sure I could do this by myself, so I too turned and ran away from our attacker. I didn’t even stop to see if we were being followed.

We kept running. I’m sure every jungle creature and froggie could hear us trampling through the trees. After what seemed like an hour of running we came to a clearing in the trees and found ourselves on the sandy banks of a river. I collapsed on the sand and drank from the cool water. Everyone with me did the same. We sat for a few minutes unsure of what to do.

One of the women spoke first. I realized it was the the one who had been brought with Rowen and Ysmay. “We must rest. We do not have the strength to go any further.” She stared at me for a moment then turned to one of the other girls who had been injured. She ripped a piece of cloth from her clothing and used it to stop the bleeding.

She was right, we couldn’t keep moving. We couldn’t stay here, else the froggies would find us. We would probably die out here. It was Ysmay who spoke next. “We will be safe here tonight.” She looked at one of the lessor injured girls and told her to gather some wood. She then dug in the sand and pulled out some stones. Once the girl returned with the wood, I assisted her in building a fire. I questioned the wisdom of building a fire out here knowing that the froggies were probably searching the jungle for us. But I realized that the flame would probably scare away any creatures who might see us as an easy meal. We gathered some blue radish and bananas that were growing nearby and had a quick meal.

“We will be safe here,” Ysmay repeated as she lay down on the soft jungle grass near the river and allowed herself to sleep. The others did the same. Having made a promise to Rowen to protect Ysmay, I was determined to watch over our group through the night. I sat down with my spear beside me looking into the flames. I could hear the muffled crying of the women one by one stop as they also let the sleep overcome them. I don’t know how long I managed to sit there before I was also asleep.
Chrisb78

Postby Chrisb78 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 am

The next morning I awoke to the sound of a crackling fire and the smell of bananas. I opened my eyes to the sight of the women sitting around the fire and eating what appeared to be baked banana. Ysmay’s handmaiden brought me some of the bananas. I looked around at the group as I ate. Everyone was sitting up and awake. Everyone had bandages over their wounds. I could see where they had ripped pieces off their clothing to make bandages. They had even used banana leaves to cover some of the more severe wounds.

I realized I recognized one of the girls from my village. Beatrix I believe was her name. Ysmay was the only other name I knew in the group. I looked to the girl who had brought me the banana who had taken a seat next to Ysmay. “What is your name?” I asked her.

“Amelia,” Ysmay answered for her. Amelia looked down when Ysmay said her name. “She is my servent.”

“I’m Sybbyl, and this is Anastas,” another chimed in and gestured to the girl sitting next to her. “We both came from the same village and were taken prisoner during a froggie raid.

“I’m Margaret.”

“And I am Godiva,” said the last one.

Ysmay turned and looked out over the river. “Walter, do you think you can watch over some of the girls while they gather more bananas and some fire wood? I fear we are in no condition to travel far until our wounds have healed more. “

I picked up the spear that had been laying on the grass next to me. I remembered the moment the night before when Rowen pushed it into my hands as he made me promise to protect Ysmay. “Yes, I can do that.”

After we had finished eating, Beatrix, Sybbyl and Anastas followed me into the jungle. We found a grove of banana trees. I stood guard while they picked bananas. I was uneasy being out here in the jungle. I saw no sign of any froggies, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that they were watching us from among the trees. After we had gathered several bananas we started walking back to where we had left the others by the river. It was then that I heard the scream. I gripped the spear tightly and ran back toward camp. As I emerged from the bushes I looked around for a froggie. What I saw instead was a short humaniod clutching a spear and fighting with Margaret, Amelia and Ysmay.

As I ran towards the vile creature I saw Godiva laying motionless on the sand. I became hot with rage and raised the spead over my head. I pierced the creature through the heart with all the strength I had. I pushed it to the ground and stabbed it again and again and again till I was sure it was dead.

I kicked it’s motionless body away and sat down next to Godiva. She had been killed. Another victim of the jungle. Why had we been brought out here? Would any of us survive to make it back to civilation?

I had my doubts, but I wasn’t going to give up.
Chrisb78

Postby Chrisb78 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:30 am

A silence had overcome the camp as everyone went about their chores. We had been through so much and the body of Godiva lay on the sand as a grusome reminder of all that had happened. If that thing had found us, could the froggies be far behind? We needed a plan and we had none. We only had this one spear for defense, and who was I kidding, I was no warrior. I was just a farmer. This was no farm. It was a jungle full of dangers.

I stood up and threw down the spear. The others looked over at me with concern but I ignored them. I picked up a flat piece of wood from the ground and started digging. While the tool was crude, it reminded me of working the soil of my farm. The work made me feel at peace. Sybbyl and Beatrix both picked up pieces of wood and joined me in the digging. Margarat sat by the fire. She was too injured from yesterday’s attack to move very much. Amelia was tending to Margarat’s wounds using some herbs that Ysmay had instructed her to gather.

The three of us spent most of the morning digging. When the hole was large enough, we moved Godiva’s body from where it lay on the sand and into the hole. After we had finshed buring her body, I pushed a large stone over to use as a head stone. Amelia took a stick from the fire and using the chard end, wrote Godiva’s name on the stone. It was a crude memorial, but it was more fitting then leaving her to be devoured by animals, or worse.

There were seven of us left. I hoped that there wouldn’t be the need for any more funerals. I took a quick look around the camp. Seven of us. Where was Anastas? I hadn’t seen her all morning. No one else had seen her all morning either. We worried that she had probably wandered off into the jungle and who knows what had gotten to her. I couldn’t leave the others to go look for her. Last time we split up ended in a make shift funeral in the jungle.

“Here she comes. She is up stream a ways.” It was Amelia who had spotted her first. Anastas was walking towards us and seemed to be holding something in her hands.

“You should not have left without telling us, “ shouted Sybbyl. “You could have been taken by the froggies.”

“I’m sorry. “ she replied. “I was looking for more bananas, but look what found.” She layed out several long stems of bamboo . “There was a lot of this stuff growing along the river. So I gathered it up sharpened the ends using a rock I had found.” Anastas had fashoned spears out of the bamboo. Enough for everyone.

This was great. Everyone, with the exception of Margarat who was too hurt to stand, took a spear. We looked a bit like an army standing there with the backdrop of the jungle holding our spears. We may not have any training or even good weapons or armor, but at least we had a chance at defending ourselves if any thing attacked us again.

It wasn’t a moment too soon, because a froggie raiding party was approaching.

Chrisb78

Postby Chrisb78 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:32 am

There were only two of them. I liked our chances. It was time to see if these bamboo spears would work. I lead the group into battle. We had the upper hand this time and it was a great feeling. Anastas , Sybbyl , and Beatrix charged at one of the froggies. Ysmay and Amelia stood behind me as I approached the other froggie. The froggie thrust at me with it’s spear. I jumped out of the way and narrowly dodged it’s attack. Amelia brought her spear down on the end of the froggie’s spear forcing it’s point downward into the ground. It was practically defenseless now and I attacked with all my strength. The creature easily fell to our combined might. I looked up to see how the other three were fairing against their froggie. Anastas was already wiping it’s blood from her spear, and Sybbyl gave the froggie a good kick to make sure it was dead.

“Wow! That was amazing,” A girl I didn’t recognize dropped out from nearby tree. Her clothes were torn and she was covered in mud. “I thought they were going to find me for sure. But then they spotted you and you came with your spears and took care of them.”

“I’m glad we were here to help. I’m Walter.” I then proceeded to introduce the rest of my companions.

“I’m Emeline. I’ve been been hiding from these froggies since I escaped from a nearby brownie village. We sat near the fire and listened to Emeline tell us how the brownies had dragged her to their villiage a few weeks ago. When she got there, she saw two dead humans in the middle of the village. Knowing why they had brought her there, she planned her escape.

While the brownies prepaired for their ritual, Emeline had managed to wiggle free from the vines they had tied her up with. She was easily able to outrun the short creatures and when she had put some distance between them and herself, she climbed a tree and waited for them to stop searching. Since then she had been living in the jungle evading detection of both the brownies and the froggies. She told us how she had watched the froggies night after night go off into the jungle and return with prisoners.

We sat around the camp fire. Amelia had cooked up more of the bananas for us. Margarat was even able to join us. I think she’ll be able to move again by tomorrow, which means we can try and figure out our way to safety. It’ll be slow going, but getting out of this jungle will be a lot safer then camping by this river.
Chrisb78

Postby Chrisb78 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:10 am

It was sometime in the middle of the night when I awoke to Amelia shaking me awake and shouting my name. “Walter, Walter! Come quick. Emeline took Sybbyl and Anastas into the jungle to attack some froggies. She says they have prisoners!”

I grabbed my spear and followed Ameila into the jungle. I could hear the sounds of battle up ahead: the clashing of spear points on the crude froggie armor. We arrived just in time to watch as Emeline expertly wielded her bamboo spear to trip the last froggie and then turn her spear to drive the point into it’s chest.

We looked around to make sure that there were no other enemies around, then turned to the three prisoners who we had rescued. They told us their names were Rose, Catherine, and Mary. All three of them were in pretty bad shape. We had to practically carry them back to camp. Once there we laid them near Margaret and Ysmay and Amelia started dressing the wounds.

My heart sank as I realized that we probably wouldn’t be leaving this cursed place in the morning as planned. I spent the rest of the night watching over the camp until I finally drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, after we had eaten a breakfast of bananas, I decided I needed to find a way to fill the time. I looked over to where Amelia and Ysmay were tending to the three new comers to our little camp. Two of them were unconsious. The third, Rose, was sitting up taking small bites of banana that Amelia was giving her.

Judging from their condition it would probably be a few more days before they were ready to be moved, and given our luck, during that time we would probably end up rescuing more people who would need a few days to heal. I started to wonder if we would ever actually leave this place.
Chrisb78

Postby Chrisb78 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:23 am

I was walking the permimeter of our camp to ensure that no critters were lurking nearby. I took a moment to ensure I knew the location of everyone. Margaret was up and about now, and was helping Amelia cook bananas. Sybbyl and Beatrix were gathering more bananas and firewood. Ysmay was tending to Rose, Catherine and Mary who we expected wouldn’t be able to move around much for a few days. And Emeline and Anastas were gathering more wood for a project. Anastas had figured that since we were probably going to be here for a few days, that she could at least make the wounded people slightly more confortable by lashing together some logs to put a roof over their head. Emeline had agreed to go with her to gether the logs as well as to help guard against anything that might attack them.

The two of them had been at it for a few hours. They would wander into the jungle and then a short while later drag back a few logs and vines and had amassed quite a pile of materials.

I finished my patrolling and walked over to where the pile of logs and vines lay. I figured I might as well help out while Emeline and Anastas were still out gathering logs. I used two logs that were similar in size and used the vines as rope to join them together. It was slow going but after a while I had lashed together enough of the logs to make a raft. I contimplated pushing it out into the river and getting out of the jungle by water, but I figured it would probably fall apart as soon as I was away from the shore. I would rather fight the froggies then drown in the river.

“Oh hey Walter, you got started. It looks great!” Anastas and Emeline had returned and brought more logs with them. They joined me and before long we had pieced together a decent sized area of the logs. We then pushed up some logs and dug the ends in the sand so that with some help, they stood vertically. By now everyone in the camp saw what we were up to and came over to assist. By nightfall, we had constructed a small shelter.

We moved the injured to underneith the covered area. Even though we were all exausted from building the roof, our spirits were lifted. Amelia brought us some more of her baked bananas and after a filling meal, we all fell asleep. It was a pretty good day. If you ignore the fact that we were living in the jungle being hunted and sleeping under a roof of logs lashed together with jungle vines.
Chrisb78

Postby Chrisb78 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:39 am

There had been something that I was curious about since this insane adventure in the jungle had begun. The night that Rowen, Ysmay and Amelia were brought to the froggie camp and Rowen lead the charge that lead to our escape. Before Rowen had handed me the spear and made me promise to look over Ysmay, he told me that she was gifted and had to fulfil her destiny. The only time I ever hear about people fulling their destiny is in children’s stories that take place long ago and in far away places. It was the stuff said in legends and by mad men, but I couldn’t help feel like there was something going on here. Most of the others in the camp were busy with their chores. Anastas and Emeline were off in the jungle gathering more wood.

I walked over to where Ysmay sat. She was holding a damp cloth over Catherine’s face. “Ysmay, Rowen had said that you were gifted. What did that mean.”

She looked at me. “Well Walter, it is believed that my blood is the blood of the gods.”

And there I had my answer. Crazy talk and children’s stories. I guess my disbelief showed in my face because she was quick to continue. “I didn’t know my father. My mother said that he was a traveller. An adventurer capable of great deeds. He apparently single handedly cleared out a den of warebeasts that were threatening the village. She was impressed by his heroic actions and lay with him before he left the town in search of adventure. I do not know if I believe the town legends of him being a god or if he was just a man of great ability. But I do know that I am able to see things before they happen and when I tend to the injured, their wounds heal faster then if someone else had helped them. “

I had noticed that people around here did seem to recover a bit quicker then I expected. I had just assumed that maybe the cuts and gashes inflicted by froggie spears weren’t as bad as I had assumed.

“Rowen also spoke of you needing to fullfil your destiny.”

Ysmay became silent and turned her face away from me. It was Amelia who then spoke. “Rowen was taking us to the northern mountains where a priesthood serves a devine oracle.”

“I was to be presented to the oracle, and then required to perform an action of the devine. If I couldn’t do what was expected of me, I would be put to death. Executed for being a fraud.”

“and if you succeeded?” I wondered allowed.

“I would be forced to join their religious order and serve the oracle.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad. You should use some of your healing magic so everyone is strong enough to get out of here.”

“NO!” She shouted at me. Both Amelia and I looked at each other, startled by Ysmay’s outburst. The others in the camp were looking at us as well. “I don’t want to go,” she whispered, very aware that all eyes were on her. “You promised Rowen that you would protect me. If you take me to the oracle, I will be killed. I’m safer here in this jungle with all of its dangers then I would be fullfilling my destiny. Whatever that means… Besides, we can’t leave till all are well… and there are more injured coming.”

As she finished speaking, Emeline and Anastas emerged from the jungle with two more people I did not recognize. The two newcomers were limping badly while Emeline and Anastas helped them over to where Ysmay was sitting. Amelia and I cleared out a space for them and helped lay them down.

“I found them running from the froggies not to far off from here,” explained Emeline.

I watched as Ysmay started to help the newly arrived. I started to feel a little sorry for her. It must be a heavy burden to know that you would be put to death if you didn’t live up to someone elses expectactions. Although I might be put to death in tryiing to fulfill Rowen’s expectation of me.
Chrisb78

Postby Chrisb78 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:06 am

Our two newest arrivals were awake enough to tell us that their names were Fendril and Eleanor. Fendril was an older fellow who told us that the froggies had attacked their village and taken he and Eleanor prisoners. While they were being dragged through the jungle, several arrows came out of the trees and their captors fell to the ground. A figured dressed in green emerged from the jungle and untied them and pointed and had told them to run till they reached the river. They’d been running when Emeline and Anastas had found them and brought them here. I wondered who had been out there hunting the froggies and if they would make themselves known to us.

Anastas had busied herself with another building project. She figured we were going to be here a while longer so it might be nice if we built another covered area. When people weren’t busy, they helped her piece together another covered area. While helping her, I learned that her father had been a carpenter and she would watch him build furniture for the townsfolk. She had fashioned some basic tools using rocks and wood. Using some of the extra wood, she had crafted a small table and chairs as well as a table to prepair our meals on. I was rather impressed with her skill and wondered what she would be able to make had she been given proper tools to work with.

Amelia was quite happy with the new additions to our camp. She had taken over most of the cooking for our group and was pleased to not have to kneel in the grass while prepairing food. I sat in one of the chairs and chatted with Amelia while she was cooking. It wasn’t a bad set up and I found it to be more comfortable then sitting on the grass like I’d been having to do for the past few days. I did worry that we might be getting too comfortable. And if Ysmay was serious about not wanting to leave, then comfort will make it easier for her to convince the others to stay.
Chrisb78

Postby Chrisb78 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:36 am

We were all sitting around our camp fire that night when a stranger entered our camp. I grabbed my spear, but Emeline had already sprung into action and challenged the intruder.

“Relax. I’m here as a friend.” The stranger spoke in a soft voice. She looked around our camp. “You seem to be building a permenant settlement here. Not bad.”

“Who are you?”

“I am Auldaeil Tanethonel.” She looked over at Fendril and Eleanor and smiled. “Oh good, they made it. I knew if I pointed them in your direction that you would take them in. May I?” She pointed towards a baked banana. Amelia handed one to her. “I could smell these from pretty far away. They taste as good as they smell. Anyway, I hope you don’t mind letting me use your camp as base camp while I hunt the froggies in this area.”

“Of course we don’t mind,” Ysmay said. “And if there is anything else we can do for you, let us know.”

I felt safe by Auldaeil’s presence in our camp. She seemed a capable warrior and if she was here to hunt the froggies, then we might find ourselves a little safer.

The next morning the camp was busy. Auldaeil had quietly left before sunrise, no doubt to catch froggies on their way back from their raiding. Emeline was also missing. I had noticed she seemed to prefer the being in the jungle rather then being in camp. Anastas was building something new, but wasn’t far enough along for me to really even guess what it was at this point. Ysmay was helping the injured. Amelia was prepairing more bananas. Sybbyl, Margaret and Beatrix were trying to till some of the soil. They thought that since we might be out here for a while, it might be useful to start growing some of our own food closer in to camp. It would be safer then wandering out into the jungle to gather more bananas. I didn’t like where this kind of thinking lead to, but decided to help them out since I had been a farmer prior to being stuck out here.

We had probably been digging for a few hours when Emeline returned to the camp. “Walter, I need your help. I’ll explain along the way.” I grabbed my spear and followed Emeline into the woods. I realized she had a stone spear similar to mine rather then the bamboo spear she had before she left. “I’ve been scouting out the area and spotted a froggie. I ambushed him, smashed his head in with a rock, plunged my spear into it’s heart and took it’s spear as my own.”

I was impressed. I continued following her into the jungle still not sure where we were going. She stopped and peered through the bushes. “look out there.” She whispered. I looked through the parted leaves and saw a brownie village. “We’re going to clear them out.?”

“What? Just the two of us?” I was suddenly afraid. I was no warrior. This craziness was going to get us both killed. I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped.

“Relax Walter.” It was Auldaeil. “So here’s the plan. You and Emeline here are going to make a ton of noise and rush the camp. As the brownies come out of their tree houses, I’ll pick them off with my arrows.” She smiled reasurringly.

“Ready?” Emeline asked and then ran into the clearing. This was insane, I thought as I followed her. I was yelling and shouting and doing everything I could to get their attention.

Emeline had run rightinto the middle of the village and sure enough, the arrows started to fly. I ran out to help Emeline fight off the brownies. Together we battled the small creatures and with Auldaeil backing us up with her bow, the tiny villagers didn’t stand a chance. We were victorious. We checked the small huts for treasures, but they had nothing worth taking.

“Good work, both of you. I’ll see you back at camp later tonight.” Auldaeil waved and disappeared into the trees.

“Thanks for the help, Walter. You don’t seem to sure of yourself with that spear though. Maybe we should practice some later on back at camp.” Emeline was right. Even though I’d killed a few froggies and now some brownies, I wasn’t very confidant in my abilities. I guess a little practice would do me some good, besides, once I got back home, having some fighting skills would probably prevent me from ever being in this situation again.
Chrisb78

Next

Return to Screens & tips