Wolfy's Graphics

Post your mods and custom content here

Wolfy's Graphics

Postby Wolfy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Oh hai. You want some tweaks? I got some tweaks! :)
Note: This is just for fun and stuff, so I don't much care if you use these in your own mod bundles or whatever, so long as you link back to this thread when you post your mod. And really, I only want that so people can request things from me, which would probably benefit you, since they won't be bugging you about it. :) I also don't really care if you edit anything I've done, though it would be appreciated if you'd ask me if I can edit it how you want first, for the sake of consistency of appearance. Otherwise, you're free to use the graphics here however you like. Towns devs are welcome to take anything they want to make official. No issues there. 8-)

Anything I have finished can be found in this Photobucket album because Dropbox hates me. :D

Currently in there I have a new version of the glass wall. It is smooth~! Mesh-free! It DOES take up a little more file space, so DO keep that in mind. I personally haven't noticed any change in how my Towns game runs, but my computer is kind of crappy. I might not notice any difference since I already get lag spikes.
This is what it looks like:
**Note to fellow modders: Were you wondering about that translucency tag? Someone said it allows light through. I can confirm that. But also, something else that's kind of cool...you can't see it with the original glass wall, but if you look close at the screen shot of MY glass wall, you can actually see a slightly distorted reflection of the wood blocks behind it! :O
New version
ImageImage

Also currently in there is a tweaked "clay roof". I took the bevel off of it so it's just like the other roofs. I didn't like the way the bevel looked on multilayer roofs.

If you'd like to request tweaks or alternatives (like, I can change the color of the bird in the bird cage) feel free to request it! If you're going to request something that's not already coded in to the game, that's fine...but you'll have to code it yourself, or ask one of the programming-savvy people! (They're quite helpful, you should have no trouble finding someone! ;) )

I added a potted banana tree. It's not coded. It's intended to work just like the regular potted plant, except it uses banana tree bushes instead of other bushes.

3/23:
Stained glass walls!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Wolfy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Wolfy

Location: All you need to know is I'm in Eastern Standard Time.

Re: Wolfy's Graphics

Postby Jon_jon13 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:07 pm

Yay, glass! <3

I'll give it a try if you don't mind, as you can see my contest build uses some glass but the default graphic is a bit ugly, tbh, with the "glare" or whatever it has, and the pixels all over the place... This one looks a lot better
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby Wolfy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:31 pm

Thank you very much, that was the goal in making that. <3 :D
Feel free to ask for any other tweaks you might need!
Wolfy

Postby Jon_jon13 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:34 pm

Not sure why, but somehow the quality of all walls just went down greatly by adding the image to the game folder. It even has some black pixels on the bottom of every wall... maybe the image got compressed when you uploaded it to drobox, or when I downloaded it... but downloading again did not fix the problem.

I'm sad :( this has potential, the only issue is this lower quality which i can't notice in your screenshot, so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the uploading or downloading.

Check for yourself
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1347 ... review.png

EDIT: The difference between the dining room (which is only floor) and the dock (which are wall blocks) is abysmal, and it's supposed to be the same graphic! XD
Jon_jon13

Postby Wolfy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Oh my! D: I have no idea how or why that could've happened. The file is not so big that it should've been compressed. Huh. Well, let me check my Dropbox settings and make sure it's not set to smush anything...
If DB's not compressing the file somehow, I have no idea how/why that would happen.

Edit: I can't actually find any kind of option to compress files on DB. The size of the file is the same there as on my hard drive. o__o
I have a couple options.
1) If you have Photoshop (or perhaps GIMP/SAI) you can open the original walls file, open my version, select my glass wall, copy, paste in to original file, line up the new with the old, and then carefully erase the old glass wall, and then save.
2) I could email you the file and see if that helps
3) I could upload it to Photobucket and see if it has the same effect there (might make it worse, but could be worth trying?)
Wolfy

Postby Jon_jon13 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 pm

I have and use only "paint"... Not sure it's a good idea XD

Try any actual image hosting service, it might work better than dropbox. I hope it works
Jon_jon13

Postby Wolfy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:06 pm

GIMP and SAI are both free. Over on Aywas, lots of beginner artists download and use them. Like anything, they take practice. But from what I've heard, they're easier to grasp than Photoshop.

Alright, here's the file on Photobucket:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/damsel_not_in_distress/walls2.png
Let me know if that works better. If it does, I'll just make a folder specifically for Towns stuff and link to that instead of DB.

Edit: I'm suspicious that somehow the transparency of the file was lost for some reason...
Edit2: No, it should be fine...just a weird preview. XD
Wolfy

Postby burningpet » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Png is lossless format so it shouldn't lose even 1 pixel due to different size reductions.

The glass looks nice, but it has the problem i was trying to avoid. because how the rendering engine works, translucent pixels show the layer behind the tile that sits behind the semi-transparent tile. this is why i used the checkers method to "fake" transparency, it looks worse, but it doesn't glitch the blocks behind/below
burningpet

Postby Jon_jon13 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:47 pm

It works perfectly now, I guess it was something dropbox did, either on the uploading or downloading... :P

Thanks for your time!
Jon_jon13

Postby Wolfy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:50 pm

I can't explain that. I tried downloading the DB file and it was the same size as the other one. O_O
But that's alright, I'll put everything on Photobucket instead, since that amazingly doesn't kill the quality, lol. O_O
Wolfy

Next

Return to Modding