DooM (Mod)

Post your mods and custom content here

Re: DooM (Mod)

Postby Inquisitor80 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:55 pm

YetiChow wrote:You could just replace the tootip and graphics of wood etc. to be things like metals, which are found in surface deposits (e.g. replace the tree graphic with a lump of rock with metal ore or crystals sticking out), as for food you could have alien fungi/lifeforms, hydroponic bio-domes (a mini greenhouse with a single crop groing inside), supply crates left behind by allies, canned food in ruins... just be creative. You don't need to replace the functional code, just the display stuff ;)

You beat me to it, i was going to suggest the same general idea

you could also go with the base is in a remote part of the earth, say a hidden island or something
you don't have to change anything then.

or

like yetiChow said, make trees a type of "common" metal that gets "supply dropped" into landing strips

make sure to rename the other ore/metals in the game so the are more Sci-fi like
less believable you are digging for iron on an alien planet then for say "Durpoxie"

make stone into something common too, so it is believable you would extract it from the ground and make a "base" out of it. maybe say it starts as stone then gets ground up into Carbon fiber slabs or something.
Inquisitor80

Postby Kuro » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Inquisitor80 wrote:make sure to rename the other ore/metals in the game so the are more Sci-fi like
less believable you are digging for iron on an alien planet then for say "Durpoxie"

It doesn't have to be fantastical to be believable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_planet
Alchemy Mod in progress.
Blood Knight hero available.

caprontos wrote:It's not a bug it is just a missing ... feature.
Kuro

Postby Neuntoter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Wow, alot of great little tid bits. I came up with a little solution (that of course could include suggestions), by making multiple campaigns that slightly go along with DooM itself. The one I am currently working on which will allow me not to have to change a crazy amount of the world itself will be call "Hell on Earth"... Sounds familiar right??? This will at least allow me to get the bulk of the crafting and enemy types and new weapons made and not have to worry about recreating the world itself. I am hoping to tackle that as a second project that will allow for a campaign to take you onto moon Phobos.

But seriously, thanks for all the suggestions and comments, and with those and future suggestions I hope that DooM Towns will be a great and well played mod.

Neuntoter

PS

Because of the season things are slowing just a bit but will speed back up after all the smoke clears from Christmas time and all. Plus my studio is also working on a game of our own which jumping between this and our game time has to be well managed. :D
http://www.moddb.com/company/enguised-studios

Currently working on the "DooM Towns" mod
&
Tik Tok Tank - an Enguised Studio original game
Neuntoter

Postby Neuntoter » Sat May 18, 2013 4:56 pm

It seems that this may have been put on the back burner for a little and let me explain why. One day when working on the characters and I then saved it, (the file) it kept causing the game to crash regardless of deleting previous changes which worked before. So this would have led for me to retype all of the changes and start from scratch which I did not have the time for. Now that my current game is coming closer to a release date, I would love to come back and finish this up. I still have all the previous XML code and sprite files that I made for this so it would be a matter of making the adjustments to the new versions of the game and retype what did work.

I still have no timeline as to when this will see the full light of day but I will at least get something working and released so I can get some gameplay feed back... more will be updated on this a little later..

Thank you all for who ever has read and or kept up with this and has shown interest...

Neuntoter

&
Neuntoter

Postby YetiChow » Sun May 19, 2013 11:20 am

Welcome, my good sir, to the real world of modding - you're not a 'real' modder until you've realised that you'll never be able to finish half the mods you come up with ideas for. There's a massive pitfall of stopping work on a mod and not being able to get started again, if you find a solution for this problem then please let the rest of us know :lol:

I'm glad to hear that the mod hasn't been abandoned though, and if you need motivation I'd be happy to bug you to keep working on it if you seem to be flagging again :lol:
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Inquisitor80 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:05 pm

I was very glad to see this hasn't been abandon, i have much interest in this mod and all the possibilities

Neuntoter wrote:Hell Gates will randomly open spawning demons on the surface for your Research Labs to fight off. Sentry bots will be craft-able along with stationary turrets.

now i am curious, is this part working?
i would love to snag the code for stationary turrets, the random placement of spawns would be good too :)
not for publication mind you, for my own games
Inquisitor80

Postby Neuntoter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:55 am

In reply to Yetichow.
I have been modding for a good 13 years or so and have been programming my own titles using C# for the past 3 years. I will finish this mod. I did state however that I saved one of the files in which I made no changes to and suddenly I kept getting an XML error that was kind of pointing to the possibilities of the file not saving correctly. So I copied and pasted into a new file. Named everything back to the way it was (file wise) and still no go. My option is going to be retyping the entire mod again. As stated I was working on this MOD alongside of writing my own game so I put this aside for more time for my game to be worked on.

In reply to Inquisitor80.
No, I really want to finish this MOD so it is not dead, just delayed. I could hunt through what I have to get you what you need for some of that code. Give me some time and I will get back to you...

&
Neuntoter

Postby Neuntoter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:22 am

To Inquisitor80...

Yes, the Hellgates are actually working. Not fully as I would like, basically meaning some adjustments but they do work as mostly intended. Turrets and sentries are also working. Along with 10 new enemies, 4 new heroes and 4 new civs. The Civs have been turned into scientists to go along with the new story line that I will be making, the heroes will be Doom marines male and female versions, in a few different flavors for ranged and close combat style. Enemies will be already known Doom enemies along with a boatload of new ones with 6 new ones already made and coded. I am having fun with this MOD and I want to make it feel right. I will be getting screen shots of what I have after re writing all of the files to make it workable again. This may or may not happen come this weekend. Will post some more when things are back in line...

&
Neuntoter

Postby Bud1980 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:00 am

Any news on this mod yet im really wanting to see how this mod turns out i am a very big doom fan and im very interested in this mod
Bud1980

Postby Neuntoter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:36 am

Nothing yet. My plate has been very full working on My own title Tik Tok Tank which you can look into on my MODDB page. It is an arcade like top down shooter. As far as this mod goes, it is on hold. I made this mod back when Towns was in version 6 or 7 and of course a lot has changed since then and I will have to catch up to things I will need to change for what I currently have.
From what I can tell, I am trying to release my game on Jan 1st which depending on how it is received may free up some of my time to make this happen. What I did have was some really cool stuff and I really can't wait to get it all working again to give some screen shots and videos of it. I will say that after Jan first that I will put 1 straight week into this so I can get it back to working.

&
Neuntoter

PreviousNext

Return to Modding