[Tutorial] Modding 101 - Graphics

Post your mods and custom content here

Re: [Tutorial] Modding 101 - Graphics

Postby ericb1800 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:16 pm

JackPS9 wrote:
[ID]COLOR_MINIMAP = 0,0,0

That is for the Minimap, if it is just the one that I showed in the OP than it is for the image.

Ahha! Never even noticed that. So what your saying is, I can create an item thats say white, then have the game change the actual color of the item with the Color tag.

Could you then have 5 items off the same basic white graphic listed with different colors? Making it so you only have to create 1 graphic instead of 5 different colored ones? I confused myself so do you understand? lol
ericb1800

Postby JackPS9 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:24 pm

ericb1800 wrote:
JackPS9 wrote:

That is for the Minimap, if it is just the one that I showed in the OP than it is for the image.

Ahha! Never even noticed that. So what your saying is, I can create an item thats say white, then have the game change the actual color of the item with the Color tag.

Could you then have 5 items off the same basic white graphic listed with different colors? Making it so you only have to create 1 graphic instead of 5 different colored ones? I confused myself so do you understand? lol

Yup, thats how it works.
Look in the items.png there is only 1 texture for a shortsword, yet over 5 different ones in game :)
JackPS9

Postby ericb1800 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 pm

JackPS9 wrote:
ericb1800 wrote:
JackPS9 wrote:

Yup, thats how it works.
Look in the items.png there is only 1 texture for a shortsword, yet over 5 different ones in game :)

LOL... Seems I did alot more work then I needed to on my other mod I am working on... Never fails...lol
ericb1800

Postby 8BitHazey » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:35 am

If you don't want to use wordpad / notepad ++ for your modding.

I use Eclipse java IDE, I load up the mod and create a link for it. After that you have a complete file chain and the ability to edit the files. It honestly works fantastic and my guess is, that's what the developers use. It's what I use when I have any java projects I need to complete.

Here is a screen shot of my setup. http://imgur.com/WXiLU

You can get it free here: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
I use Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers

Also notice I switched from Java EE to just Java at the top right hand corner.

If you don't do this your going to have a bad time.
8BitHazey

Postby Effix » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Some random tips:
- Always see if you can recycle the original graphics in some way (not just changing colors). For example I used bits of the potted plant decoration to make a coffee plant. That way you keep things in line with the Towns style.
- Reduce the amount of colors if you start out with a real photo (in Photoshop that's called 'Posterize', Gimp probably has something similar). That way it will look a bit more like it was drawn/painted like the original Towns style. Don't reduce too much though, at some point it starts to look crappy.
Effix

Previous

Return to Modding