Towns Overhauled 0.81

Post your mods and custom content here

Re: Towns Overhauled (Not Yet complete)

Postby JackPS9 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:22 pm

smithforge wrote:agreed that actual gameplay might need a few cutting out to simplify stuff (e.g. some simple materials which are only used for a single product can be simplified into using a more primary material and "acting" the processing step in action queue without actually producing the intermediate material).

The methods I put down is just for modder discussion. complexity of method does not necessarily relate with quality of gameplay experience.

Some reasons I have for the complicated method are because of the following possibilities. The method can be simplfied if some possible features are cut out:

1) I would like mudbricks to only be properly sun-baked on hot and dry tiles instead of just any where (so it should not just auto-maxage to completed bricks). I'm hoping that this creates a slightly different experience when playing on normal maps vs desert maps. e.g. the latter having less trees (and area suitable to grow tree) but a lot of hot sand tiles (I am thinking of making a difference in the terrain between sand near water and just hot, dry sand), will make sun-baking bricks more viable (and in fact, the primary building material due to wood being more precious). But on normal maps, wood is more abundant, so there is actually less need for mudbricks, and even if made, fuel-based kilns will have to be used since there is less hot-dry sand terrain but there is more wood for fuel.

2) I would like to influence the speed of making to reflect "tech". e.g. in terms of speed of producing: sun-baking < pit kilns < brick kilns. Also, the quantity produced per batch can increase with tech. e.g. sun-baking and pit kilns can only bake a few bricks at once. A proper brick kiln will be able to produce more bricks per batch (supposedly higher, better heat, structures that allows more dense packing of the processed items)

3) But my method is already partially simplified as I have cut out the "wet mud brick" equivalent (I was thinking action will take raw materials and either produce a sun-baking brick on a sunning zone, or a kiln baking brick item from a idle kiln), since it will be useless unless bakes and will probably just maxAge to nothing. The "full" design which takes in the wet mud brick will need a separate set of actions that will take that brick and properly put it somewhere to be baked, (or it will rot away after some time).

Not directly related: I am hoping that the "tech" could present a "natural bias" on the different map types (normal, desert, jungle, snow atm) which will indirectly influence the type of "culture" of the "town", (e.g. in desert, wood is scarce and should be reserved for tools and fuel, and arable area is small and restricted to near oasis, and thus mud-brick which is made of sand, will be primary. While on snow maps, ice and snow could potentially become a primary construction material like constructing igloos. ) It will also present a different difficulty in creating some buildings on certain map types. E.g. without cheating, creating a wooden-based palace in desert will take a much longer time than creating the exact same structure on normal map.

btw, this discussion is getting out of context as it is less related to Towns Overhauled mod.
I am posting some "tech" stuff just in case Jack could pick something he find that he can use out of it (to save unnecessary double work). If there is need for more discussion, should probably move to another thread.

The whole Mud Brick thing is already, completed.
I have a Dry Mat zone for it (Couldn't think of a better name)
Once max age Wet Mud Brick turns into Hard Mud Brick which can be harvested for Mud Brick to make Mud Walls, Wood Detailer, and the Forge)
JackPS9

Re: Towns Overhauled (Preview)

Postby JackPS9 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Updated OP to preview status.
Added download link.
READ OP ON HOW TO INSTALL!

I'll be continuing my work on the MOD all day, hope you guys like the changes to Towns I have made so far.
I'll be doing the actions for the Utilities today to try and get those in for a new preview for tomorrow.
JackPS9

Postby Jon_jon13 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Will test it tonight, tomorrow I'll post my impressions and feedback
This device requires watergineers, m'lord!
Jon_jon13

Postby JackPS9 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:54 pm

Jon_jon13 wrote:Will test it tonight, tomorrow I'll post my impressions and feedback

As the title says, its only a preview for the menus.

And something some people may not like, is the fact you have to use the Upgrade menu(Right Menu (UP ARROW)) to create the first carpenter's Bench, Mason's Bench, Wood Detailer, Forge, Smelter, Anvil.
After that its faster, takes less resources and allows the items in the next age to be built.

Known bugs:
Trees don't unselect with the first chop type (I'll be trying to get this fixed soon)
Missing a UI for the Teirs menu.
JackPS9

Re: Towns Overhauled 0.80

Postby JackPS9 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Sorry about yet again another double post.
It is mostly small changes in the actions.xml and the menus now.

Things I still have to change.
*Most production menu items
*Utilities in right menu
*Deco Items in right menu
*Burning Menu in production menu

If I'm missing anything tell me.

If your wondering, I know what to do to speed things up a bit, and it took me 5 days just to get my feet in the stone age.
JackPS9

Postby Gorhaax » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:17 am

Looks interesting! I'll keep my eye on this mod
Gorhaax

Postby JackPS9 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Gorhaax wrote:Looks interesting! I'll keep my eye on this mod

Sorry but going to be waiting on feedback before any new updates come out.
Mainly just looking for feed back on how the menus are and how I can improve them without killing the whole ages part of this mod.
JackPS9

Postby Colombo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:13 pm

I am highly interested in tech-tree, tech-progresion and to that connected differently looking towns on different maps and different resources.

The problem is, that my idea would realy need real-time menu changes.
Colombo

Postby Colombo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Contemporary state of your menus is realy chaotic. I see, that you have tried to implement a lot of interesting ideas, but they are quite complicated at the start of game (notably those wooden boards). I would suggest streamlining those.

I feeled like I have to reclick to every time to different "ages". I would like the ages like set of all items, tools etc. that I would need to build to building town. Like grouping all items into menues like in standard town but with supermenu of ages, than playing would be same like in standard towns. But with different itemset.

I think, that those ages are badly set. There is quite nothing to build in lower ages. My own preferences is, that "ages" would be realy thing of choice than thing of necessity to survive.

One can set those ages as greater itemset, dependent on crucial items and tools, and create smaller tech-trees inside those ages by requirement of resources, just as in standard towns there are iron "tech tree"

Please note that my whole critique is based on what I want to see and what I want to techtree and ages to be. So if you have different opinion, this is critique is realy irelevant.
Colombo

Postby JackPS9 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Colombo wrote:Contemporary state of your menus is realy chaotic. I see, that you have tried to implement a lot of interesting ideas, but they are quite complicated at the start of game (notably those wooden boards). I would suggest streamlining those.

I feeled like I have to reclick to every time to different "ages". I would like the ages like set of all items, tools etc. that I would need to build to building town. Like grouping all items into menues like in standard town but with supermenu of ages, than playing would be same like in standard towns. But with different itemset.

I think, that those ages are badly set. There is quite nothing to build in lower ages. My own preferences is, that "ages" would be realy thing of choice than thing of necessity to survive.

One can set those ages as greater itemset, dependent on crucial items and tools, and create smaller tech-trees inside those ages by requirement of resources, just as in standard towns there are iron "tech tree"

Please note that my whole critique is based on what I want to see and what I want to techtree and ages to be. So if you have different opinion, this is critique is realy irelevant.

Okay, first thank you.
So now I know I have to change the menu around a bit and add stuff to the first couple of ages.

Well I have a idea how I can put, all utilities into one menu.
I'll do it as a test then post a screen shot and see what people think.

Problem I'm having is trying to keep everything in towns that is already there but trying to keep the ages different.
JackPS9

PreviousNext

Return to Modding