Save game manager

Post your mods and custom content here

Save game manager

Postby kutagh » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Heya,

I figured some people would like the opportunity to play multiple copies of the same map type. Some would even just check out the map of someone else but already have a save of the same map type.
It is possible to manually do this but that is cumbersome if you do it multiple times.

That is why I've written a rudimentary save game manager. Unfortunately for Linux/Mac users it is written in C# and therefore works only on Windows.
Requirements: .NET Framework 4.0 (download WebInstaller @ Microsoft.com or Standalone installer @ Microsoft.com).
Download: Program setup, Source code (Optional).

Users wanting to translate the program are welcome to do so. The program uses a configuration file (config.txt, located in same directory as the program executable and if it doesn't exist, a new config is automatically generated) which can be opened with notepad or a similar text processor.

Use on your own risk, I can't guarantee that the program will function 100% correctly. It doesn't validate the save files either, so you can easily place a save file that Towns can't open (and potentially crashes with).

Feel free to use portions of my code for your own application, as long as you give credit to me (visible in the main window of the program!) and change more than just the names of buttons and such in the program (in other words, actually add something yourself).
kutagh

Re: Save game manager

Postby kutagh » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:10 am

Lots of views, no replies?
I'd be interested into feedback ;)
kutagh

Postby kutagh » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:44 am

On a side note, updated the program. It should now detect whether there is a save file for the current map type and if not, disable the backup button (you can't backup a non-existing map, can you? ;) )
kutagh

Postby City Builder » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:24 pm

I think if you fleshed out your program a little bit more and added some more features to it, then people would find it quite useful. As it is now, although it's cumbersome to do it the manual way, it's a more visual experience (think Windows GUI compared to DOS) and one that is easier to use.

For examples, if your program was to keep track of the backups that the players made and then list them by date so that players know where there files are and how old they are. Perhaps also storing the information in the program such as the name the player gives the backup, and allow them to enter a description that can be shown to them, so they have some sort of idea what a backup is.

I'm really exhausted right now so I can't write anymore at the moment, but I could see this being useful, other than when SMP does a complete new save system and we won't have to make any backups, in which case I'd have to just say, don't work too hard on this, eventually they'll be doing a complete save system for Towns.
burningpet wrote:And yeah, the Majesty reference is correct, towns will eventually aim to be a much more advanced Majesty rather than a dumbed down dwarf fortress.

Play Towns on an unlimited amount of maps: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1659
City Builder

Postby kutagh » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Keeping track of the backups is nice when you can be pretty sure the program stays at one location and so on, this is a more portable solution. I initially considered doing it but ended up going for an easier and more robust method first.
I might try implementing it if there is enough demand (which sounds like there barely is right now), seeing as it is a feature that is gonna take several hours at least to neatly implement ;)

And I don't worry too much about SMP changing the save system, it isn't there right now nor for the foreseeable future and I don't mind toying around with this program in my spare time (again if there is demand for it).
kutagh

Postby Deedasmi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 pm

I am going to try out the save managers (yours and the other one that was made) when the new patch hits. I can't stand to play .42b when I head about the .45. It's something I even posted about :P
Tired of mud? Try my Mud Mod
Deedasmi

Postby tom k. » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:26 pm

I have been updating mine for the past half hour to be compatible wiht 0.45 when it comes out (unless they change the filesystem between now and then) :)
Tom K.
Former Community Moderator

Please read the FAQs before posting.
Towns' Official Modding Partner Site - Townsmods.net
tom k.

Return to Modding