[ML 11.0][0.50b] Towns Modloader - by Jontis_00

Post here your released mods

[ML 11.0][0.50b] Towns Modloader - by Jontis_00

Postby Jontis_00 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:41 pm

Towns Modloader - by Jontis_00

Jontis_00 wrote:Hey guys, noticed Towns just updated to 0.60 and I am on vacation over the weekend so none of my mods + the Modloader will be updated until at least tuesday.

I have considered discontinuing Modloader and port my mods over to Atoning Unifex's mod manager.
I never saw Modloader as a permanent solution to the compatibility issues that Towns used to have (exchanging your whole data folder to install 1 mod). When I started working on the Modloader I had no programming skills at all so I had to quickly learn a simple language (batch) and create a simple Modloader.

I see no reason to try compete with a clearly better Modloader, it was never my intension to either. To be honest I have not had much time to mod or work on the Modloader over the latest month, I have kind of been waiting for someone to make a better version.

If no big problems are discovered with Atoning's mod manager I will be porting my mods asap, discontinuing my Modloader will give me more time to work on great mods! which I think you all will enjoy :)

This is the Towns Modloader, a program made by Jontis_00 that makes it easy for users and modders to combine and install mods and texturepacks of their choice. It is recommended to always back up your towns folder before installing mods, be extra careful if using a early release!
If you are experiencing problems with installing a mod or using the modloader, run the ModUnInstaller.bat and try installing your mods again, if that does not work contact me or the mod maker. You can contact me by posting in this thread.

How to install the Modloader:

Watch this video by Radaknem or follow the instructions below:

1. Download the .rar file found at the bottom of this page.
2. Open it and extract the files to your Towns folder. (copy and paste them)
(3.) It is recommended to run the ModUninstaller.bat it will clean your Towns folder.

How to install (most) mods:

1. Download a mod that is compatible with the Modloader.
2. Copy the files from the mod and put them in your Mods folder, found in your Towns folder.
3. Run the ModInstaller.bat

If you want to install multiple mods repeat steps 1-3, install the mods one-by-one.

Some mods might be required to be installed before others, this should be stated in the mod thread.

For modders:

How to make your mods compatible with the Modloader:

The Modloader does not use the same organization system for the game files as normal towns do, instead of just having a "menu_production.xml" we have a "menu_productionFoodBaking.xml" a "menu_productionFoodCooking.xml" and so on. All files you can edit can be found in the ModUtils folder after downloading the Modloader.
For example instead of putting your new awesome sword in "menu_production.xml" you put it in "menu_productionMilitariesWeapons.xml"
If you have graphics you need to put them in a new .png file, to do this make a new .png file and add your graphics in it and name it something special. Then add the name of the .png file in a file you name GraphicsUtils.ini you have to put a "," before the name of your .png file like this: ,tower.png
Then assign the graphics for your mod in Graphics.ini and don't forget to reference your graphics file with TEXTURE_FILE=tower.png for example.
If your button in the menu is linked to an action it is recommended that you put a <generatedItem> tag in the action (not in the queue) the menu icon will then take the graphic of the item you put in the tag, this is better then having to edit ADVui.png

OBS! Only put your code in the .xml files not code that already exists in the original files. And make sure your .xml files have the UTF-8 encoding/format!

When making mods for the Modloader you will most of the times not have to update your mods for a new version of Towns. But you will have to wait for me to update the modloader which can take a few hours to a day.

Advanced mod:

A advanced mod is a mod that edits: towns.ini, .properties files, existing .png files, audio files, font files or existing code within all .xml or .ini files. If a Advanced mod edits the same files as another normal mod does, the Advanced mod must be installed first.
Advanced mods usualy edit the files that end with "Utils.xml" these files contain most of the code that is in vanilla Towns, an advanced mod must contain the original code + your code, this results in that you can't install 2 mods that edit the same advanced file.
One mod can contain both advanced mod files and normal mod files, to let the Modloader know your file is a advanced file put the "ADV" tag in front of the file name i.e ADVitemsUtils.xml or ADVmenu_productionFoodGatheringUtils.xml
If you are confused check out the code for the Creative Mod, which is a advanced mod.

If you need help making your mod compatible, my skype is: Jontis_00

Adding new map generators:

Making new map generators with the Modloader is easy. Create a file named campaigns.xml (don't forget to use UTF-8 encoding) and input this:
Code: Select all
      <mission>
         <id>nameOfYourMapFolder</id>
         <name esES="NombreDelMapa">NameOfTheMap</name>
      </mission>

Then make a folder containing the files you have modded (i.e gen_map.xml, gen_items.xml gen_livingentities.xml ect.) and set the name of the folder the same as the <id> you put in.
Install the mod by putting the campaigns.xml and the folder in the Mods folder and run the ModInstaller.bat as usual.

Dupe modding:

Dupe modding is a new type of modding that is possible with Modloader 9.0 and above. Dupe modding is a way to avoid having to making your file Advanced, this type of modding also allows modders to do stuff that wasn't before possible.
- More info on dupe modding coming soon-

Mods that are compatible with Modloader:
(some mods might be outdated)

Creative Mod - by Jontis_00
Dig Site Mod - by Jontis_00
Guard Tower Mod - by Jontis_00
Walking Mod - by Jontis_00
Better Walls Mod - by Jontis_00
Breeding Mod - by Jontis_00
Screenshot Mod - by Jontis_00
Mount Mod - by Jontis_00
Carpets Mod - by Jontis_00
Better Medicine Mod - by Jontis_00
eLe's Graphic, UI, etc Mods
Cats and dogs
So I heard you like hoarding - MOD
Weapons & Armor Overhaul
MudMod
Food Overhaul
Enhanced Audio
Monkeys! They live in the jungle.
Dragon Quest 8 Mod 'Splitted' by FONZD
Super containers Mod by FONZD
Back to the Farm!
More Citizens! - Spawn more people instantly!
Auto Production Mod - Nemeca
Warehouse Crates - Nemeca
Tilling Mod - Nemeca
Heroes of The Yogscast
Firearms
Plant everywhere
Terrain Tiles by York
Domesticated Animals! (no running for food)
More automation (walls, furniture etc)
Flour Production Mod

Texture/Sound Mods:

The Badgermeat Texturepack
colour texture pack's :3
EZ-C TREES
Glass UI
Effix's Graphics Tweaks

Map generators:

Flatlands Mod - by Jontis_00
More random Normal map generator

If your Modloader mod is not listed here please post a link in this thread :)

Downloads:

Beta Modloader Version 11.0 for Towns version 0.50b

Outdated Modloader Version 10.1 for Towns version 0.50a
Outdated Modloader Version 9.1 for Towns version 0.50
Outdated Modloader Version 8.3 for Towns version 0.47b
Outdated Modloader Version 8.1 for Towns version 0.47b
Outdated Modloader Version 7.1 for Towns version 0.47a
Outdated Modloader Version 7.0 for Towns version 0.47a (no campaigns.xml support)
Outdated Modloader Version 6.2 for Towns version 0.47
Outdated Modloader Version 5.3 for Towns version 0.46
Outdated Modloader Version 5.2 for Towns version 0.46 (requires Mods\ file override)
Outdated Modloader Version 4.2 for Towns version 0.45b (requires Mods\ file override)
Outdated Modloader Release #14 for Towns version 0.45a (requires Mods\ file override)
Outdated Modloader Release #13 for Towns version 0.42b (uses ADVModInstaller.bat) (requires Mods\ file override)
Last edited by Jontis_00 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 90 times in total.
Jontis_00

Re: [0.42a] Towns Modloader - by Jontis_00

Postby eLe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm

I'll go ahead and update my stuff for Modloader when I get home.

Edit: Ok, everything is updated.
eLe

Re: [0.42a] Towns Modloader - by Jontis_00

Postby Jontis_00 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Updated to release #7

The modloader has some new features:

Normal mods can edit terrain.xml

Advanced mods can edit existing code, gen_map.xml, campaigns.xml, existing .png files, audio (.ogg) files, font (.fnt) files.
Advanced mods must be installed before normal mods!
My Mods: 12 000+ downloads!

Check out and help test the new Creative Mod Reloaded.
Jontis_00

Re: [0.42b] Towns Modloader - by Jontis_00

Postby Jontis_00 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:13 pm

Release #8 updated for towns 0.42b

Jontis_00

Postby supermalparit » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Wow guys, you are fast !
Xavi Canal
supermalparit
Towns team

Postby DaizNaew » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:50 pm

My mod is now ModLoader compatible(afaik).
Cheers Jontis_00 for your work.
DaizNaew

Postby eLe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Two questions: is it possible to make Modloader keep the original menu order (Currently it places Zones and Buildings first)? And how would one go about installing two advanced mods? (ones that edit the same pngs or xmls, but not necessarily the same code)
eLe

Postby Jontis_00 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Yes I will do it so they come in the right order.

And that is not possible at the moment, it would mean that I would have to split up the code in even more files (I think it uses 68 files atm)

Jontis_00

Postby eLe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Ouch. Yeah, I figured it would be something like that. Hmmm, would it be possible to implement something that compares the file, then combines them? (possibly user implemented) Of course I have no idea if something like that would be possible; I've never made any modloaders, only worked with them :).
eLe

Postby Jontis_00 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:06 pm

eLe wrote:Ouch. Yeah, I figured it would be something like that. Hmmm, would it be possible to implement something that compares the file, then combines them? (possibly user implemented) Of course I have no idea if something like that would be possible; I've never made any modloaders, only worked with them :).

I am using batch coding to make the modloader, which is a very simple language. So you can not to this with batch atm.

Jontis_00

Next

Return to Released mods