Mineshaft Mod Deleted?

Post your mods and custom content here

Mineshaft Mod Deleted?

Postby theSman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:08 am

Hello,

There used to be a mod called Mineshaft on TownsMods.net. This mod allowed you to build mineshafts on silver and gold in addition to the other materials.

The link to this mod was http://townsmods.net/projects/view/47
However, the link no longer works and it seems that this mod no longer exists. Does anybody know what happened to this mod or where I can download it?

Thanks,

Sam
theSman

Re: Mineshaft Mod Deleted?

Postby tom k. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:21 am

Hi Sam,

The mod was reported to not work on the version specified by a number of users. I contacted the author but received no reply after 2 weeks, so the mod was disabled. Ok sorry or any inconvenience.

Thanks
Tom
Tom K.
Former Community Moderator

Please read the FAQs before posting.
Towns' Official Modding Partner Site - Townsmods.net
tom k.

Postby johanwanderer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:45 pm

I have a version that work. Let me know if you would like me to upload it, and I can do that when I get home.
johanwanderer

Postby tom k. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:20 pm

If it is the original authors work, please try contacting them. If they agree to you uploading it, then sure go for it :)
Tom K.
Former Community Moderator

Please read the FAQs before posting.
Towns' Official Modding Partner Site - Townsmods.net
tom k.

Postby theSman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 am

Hi Tom,

In what way or ways was the mod reported to not work? Can you provide more details.

I used the mod and it worked fine for me for what I used it for. I only was able to install mineshafts on coal, iron, and copper based on my progress in my last towns game, so I wasn't able to test it on silver and gold because I did make it deep enough into the dungeon before I decided to stop my game and start over. However, I like the idea behind this mod (the ability to place mineshafts on gold and silver just like any other metal) so I'm trying to locate this mod to use in my current game.

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Johan,

Were you able to test this mod on gold and silver? Does the mod work?

Thanks,

Sam
theSman

Postby caprontos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:17 am

It should be an easy mod to make.. (I never modded buildings before :D) but... I think all you need is this:
Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<buildings>
   <mineshaft>
      <mustBeBuiltOver>coal</mustBeBuiltOver>
      <mustBeBuiltOver>iron</mustBeBuiltOver>
      <mustBeBuiltOver>copper</mustBeBuiltOver>
      <mustBeBuiltOver>densestone</mustBeBuiltOver>
      <mustBeBuiltOver>gold</mustBeBuiltOver>
      <mustBeBuiltOver>silver</mustBeBuiltOver>
   </mineshaft>
</buildings>

In a building.xml in a data folder in a mod folder in your mods folder.. and should work :S.... Quickly tested and seems like it should be working (can build over all the usual + gold and silver)....

And yes you do need the old must be over's or it just replaces them and you can only build on gold and silver..

If your not sure.. easiest way is to just copy/paste the building.xml in to a folder named data.. in a folder named whaterver you like.. in the towns mod folder..

Then open the building.xml in note pad and delete it all - copy and paste the above code in to it.. and save it..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby YetiChow » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:29 am

Ninja'd by Caprontos.... :lol: I'm still going to post this, just because I took the time to explain from point A all the way to point Z about how to find the data folder and everything.

if you're prepared to do a little modding yourself (and really, it's not hard - if you can read this, you can make the mod you want :)), you can add a couple of lines to the mineshaft code to allow them to work on gold and silver. The golden rule applies though: ALWAYS back up your data folder before you try making any mods in case you make a mistake and can't figure out what went wrong, that way you can reload your old data and won't need to download the whole game again ;)

First of all, find your Towns data folder, if you have the game on Steam then it's in your Steam Apps -> Common -> Towns, otherwise just search "towns" in your program finder.

Inside the Towns folder is a folder called "data", open that and you get a heap of .xml files. Find the one called "buildings.xml", and right click and select "edit". This will open it in notepad or a similar program, and you should be able to see the entires for the buildings like farms.

If you look quickly at the code, you'll see it's very easy to understand - it was designed to be :) Scroll down to the bottm where you'l see the mineshaft entry, it should look like this:

<mineshaft>
      <name esES="Pozo minero">Mineshaft</name>
      <description esES="Se usa para extraer materiales sin arruinar el terreno">Used to extract minerals without destroying the terrain</description>
      <width>2</width>
      <height>2</height>
      <groundData>00E1</groundData>
      <prerequisite>torch</prerequisite>
      <prerequisite>rmwood</prerequisite>
      <prerequisite>rmiron</prerequisite>
      <automatic>true</automatic>
      <mineTerrain>true</mineTerrain>
   </mineshaft>

Select the line which looks like <mustBeBuiltOver>copper</mustBeBuiltOver> (it doesn't matter if you use the iron, coal, copper or dense stone one), and copy/paste it between the last <mustBeBuiltOver> line and the first <prerequisiste> line. Change the mineral in the middle to "gold", then paste the copied line in again on the next line and do the same thing but with "silver" instead of gold. It doesn't actually matter which order the minerals are in, but it helps to keep them together if you're just starting out ;)

It should look like this:

<mineshaft>
      <name esES="Pozo minero">Mineshaft</name>
      <description esES="Se usa para extraer materiales sin arruinar el terreno">Used to extract minerals without destroying the terrain</description>
      <width>2</width>
      <height>2</height>
      <groundData>00E1</groundData>
                                <mustBeBuiltOver>silver</mustBeBuiltOver>
      <mustBeBuiltOver>gold</mustBeBuiltOver>
      <prerequisite>rmiron</prerequisite>
      <automatic>true</automatic>
      <mineTerrain>true</mineTerrain>
   </mineshaft>

Save it and load Towns - if you've copied the lines correctly, you'll now be able to mine gold and silver with mineshafts :) You will also have taken your first step as a modder, it really is as simple as reading the lines to see what they do and then putting a new line in or taking an existing one out.

I hope that helps, it's a "DIY" mod so it would only affect your game and wouldn't interact with the mod loader in any way. You can use Cap's sugestion of making it a mod by putting it in the mod folder if you want to be doubly safe - just copy/paste the buildings.xml file, take out everything which doesnt' relate to mineshafts, then make the mod and put the modded .xml in a new 'data' folder in the folder for your mod (the one you name yourself, it can be anything you like e.g "theSman's Mineshaft Mod") inside the mods folder.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Niranufoti » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:14 pm

One more thing, guys: You probably need to add a <buildingTime> or whatever it's called to <rmgold>, <rmsilver> etc. in items.xml, at least the other Mineshaft items have that.
Niranufoti

Postby caprontos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Niranufoti wrote:One more thing, guys: You probably need to add a <buildingTime> or whatever it's called to <rmgold>, <rmsilver> etc. in items.xml, at least the other Mineshaft items have that.

Nope because it is already there.. I did almost say they needed it to ..:P

<rmgold>
      <name esES="Oro">Gold</name>
      <type>rawmaterials.materials</type>
      <buildingTime>5760</buildingTime>

<stackable>true</stackable>
      <stackableSize>2</stackableSize>
      <value>75</value>
   </rmgold>

<rmsilver>
      <name esES="Plata">Silver</name>
      <type>rawmaterials.materials</type>
      <buildingTime>5760</buildingTime>

<stackable>true</stackable>
      <stackableSize>2</stackableSize>
      <value>65</value>
   </rmsilver>

Though I guess its still good to note in case someone wants to make one for an item that doesn't have it..
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby theSman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:08 am

YetiChow, caprontos,

Thank you very much for your replies!! I will take your advice and mod the building.xml file.

Sam

P.S. caprontos, I really like your Basic Terraforming and More Tooltips mods. I'm using these on my game.
theSman

Next

Return to Modding