Need more games like towns.

Anything other than Towns

Need more games like towns.

Postby Bryan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:27 pm

Like the titles said, i need games to play... some singleplayer 2d games like this should be awesome o-o
Not that i want to quit Towns ofcourse :O
but after playing it for days it will get boring o-o
just need more things :3
Hi my name is Bryan, try my small texture packs!!!
http://www.townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2510
Bryan

Re: Need more games like towns.

Postby Aduvash » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Try Dwarf fortress! it's awesome! :D You may need a tutorial though.
You are a primitive human not an insult; a forum game. [Currently dead] Note that this was the first forum game on the towns forum, I'm a trend setter. :D
More Plants and Animals! [0.50]
Aduvash

Postby burningpet » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Seconded. Dwarf fortress can occupy you for months before it gets boring.

There is also goblin camp, which seem to have reached a dead end (although, it did have an update not too long ago)
burningpet

Postby Bryan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:03 pm

I will try both :D ty for the comments :3

EDIT: ok wow those games look the same and they are so hard to understand @_@ how did u guys found out how to play this O_O
Hi my name is Bryan, try my small texture packs!!!
http://www.townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2510
Bryan

Postby Aduvash » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Goblin camp is a little bit easier to understand but I prefer dwarf fortress, Here's the dwarf fortress wiki, It has a bunch of tutorials on it, one of them might be able to help you understand it better, also it has a list of graphics sets which can help here, Mayday's Graphics Set is a good one; it gives you the game all installed, all you need to do is unzip it.
You are a primitive human not an insult; a forum game. [Currently dead] Note that this was the first forum game on the towns forum, I'm a trend setter. :D
More Plants and Animals! [0.50]
Aduvash

Postby kultrva » Tue May 01, 2012 3:11 am

I started a similar thread awhile back and have received some good suggestions. Some of the games in the original post may appeal to you, especially Cultures. I'd recommend playing the most recent one (8th Wonder of the World), as it's the most like Towns without the insane learning curve of Dwarf Fortress.

Here's the thread if you want to check it out: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1450

PS: Though Dwarf Fortess looks like crap even with a tileset and takes forever to learn, it is the deepest, most advanced game in the genre and is well worth the time spent learning the ropes. As others have said, it can keep you occupied for months on end.
kultrva

Postby Fenrir » Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Dorf Fortress is an incredible work of art; even if you don't get into it (which would be understandable) it's well worth having a look at just for the sheer depth it offers. And there's plenty of reading material to go with it.

There's also the Stronghold games, just avoid #3. That was easily the biggest letdown of last year. :cry:
Fenrir

Postby kiroshimatsu » Mon May 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Don't know if you've tried it yet... but what about Open TTD? It's free so it doesn't hurt to try it out... except the learning curve I found was kind of high. You can play it multiplayer though :)

http://www.openttd.org/en/
kiroshimatsu

Postby burningpet » Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Uhhh OTTD! a great game. i also suggest Simutrans, much more complex and free form (The passengers in Simutrans has destinations and are not treated just like any other commodity)
burningpet

Postby City Builder » Wed May 09, 2012 3:05 am

Give "Goblin Camp" a try. It's very similar to Dwarf Fortress except it's got a more mouse driven interface, although it's sparse, it's mouse driven for the most part.

There are also graphics packs available if you can't stand the ascii art that GC uses (like me, I hate the ascii art of both GC and DF).

I concur on Open TTD. It had me hooked for about 8 months where I played nothing but it and that is very rare for me, only Diablo 2 had me hooked longer than that.

I used to run a multiplayer modded server for OTTD at one time but there were too few of players that could handle the really big maps which is what i liked to play on so I finally gave up on hosting and went back to single player with an occasional jaunt into other peoples multiplayer servers. Reminds me that I should probably check out where OTTD is now, last I read they were going to try to add goals to the vanilla game which was going to take custom modded mulltiplayer servers out of the loop so that it wasn't so exclusive as it once was.
City Builder

Next

Return to Off-topic