OS X Full Screen Bug V14c

Help us identify bugs by posting them here

OS X Full Screen Bug V14c

Postby sarahjane917 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:52 am

I've encountered a bug with the full screen switch on OS X. When I updated to v14c, I loaded the game and switched to full screen on. When it switched, I could only see about 1/4 of the screen (as in, the full screen is too big for my monitor). I did a quick uninstall and reinstall, but the problem persists - I can't access the menu because I only see the bottom left 1/4 of the screen.

Possibly relevant:
running OS X 10.9.2
java version "1.6.0_65"
towns v14c through steam
it's a laptop that I sometimes plug into larger external monitors, occasionally that messes with things (specifically, xquartz) but I tend to run towns without an external monitor.

Thanks for any help,

-sarah

PS: The "please read first" post refers to a separate OS X thread, but I couldn't find it - would be happy to repost there if I do!
sarahjane917

Re: OS X Full Screen Bug V14c

Postby YetiChow » Fri May 09, 2014 1:59 pm

An unlikely solution but something that's easy to check: could the game be running at a weird resolution that doesn't fit your monitor? It would make more sense if your monitor is on the smaller end of the scale, but if your monitor is fairly large then it could be that the game is trying to find a "comfortable" aspect ratio and gets a weird result because the monitor is larger than it recognises.

Either way, open your Towns folder (SteamApps -> common -> Towns[version]), and look for a configuration folder simply called "towns". Choose to edit that, and the first lines should look like

# Main window size
WINDOW_WIDTH = 1024
WINDOW_HEIGHT = 600

You can set the window size (in pixels) to whatever resolution your monitor accepts, and that should set the game window to fill the screen. Note that probably means the non-fullscreen window, but I would think that wouldn't be an issue - the game should auto-detect your monitor's resolution for fullscreen.

FYI though, f11 is the shortcut key for fullscreen - if the game derps, just hit that and you go back to a window... it's not a fix, but at least you'll be able to properly shut the game down or restart it :)
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Return to Bug reports