The game won't auto-slaughter sheep.

Help us identify bugs by posting them here

The game won't auto-slaughter sheep.

Postby Timewise » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:30 pm

I've got it set to produce a certain amount of steak (which sheep produce when you kill them). Problem is that the UI for selecting it suggests that only cows produce steak. Which likely means that the game isn't coded to create tasks to slaughter sheep. I have a huge pile of sheep who're producing plenty of wool (more than I need, really). I've been having to tell townies to kill the sheep so that there's steak to cook and less grain going to feed them.

Is there plans to have a meat called mutton? Or plans to have the game slaughter sheep like it does cows?
Timewise

Re: The game won't auto-slaughter sheep.

Postby YetiChow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:31 am

Currently these don't exist, although it's quite easy to mod them in; there will be an existing mod somewhere or a new one could be done up fairly easily.

To deal with excess sheep, you could just stop feeding them... just be prepared for message spam and a lot of bones laying around.

Another easy modding solution would be to add sheep to the "butcher for bones" list if they aren't already there - you could craft the bones into armour, and sell that to bone and military merchants; or of course use it to equip your townies until you decide to upgrade their gear.
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Timewise » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:01 am

Since I've got hungry townies and heroes who leave town with nice weapons because there's not enough food, I err on the side of right-clicking the sheep and telling it to kill them. That way the townie who kills it gets the meat and usually cooks it for himself or someone else. It just seems like it should sometimes slaughter a sheep instead of waiting around for enough cows to pop up.
Timewise

Postby YetiChow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:51 am

yeah, it looks like the Devs made them drop deer steak for want of a better alternative, but IMO it would be easier to just make them drop steak or pork for the time being.

You could open actions.xml, copy "qbutchercow", paste it in and replace every "cow" with "sheep"; then open menu_production.xml, look up "qbutchercow" again, copy/paste again and then change "cow" to sheep. Hey presto, you've added sheep to the butchering menu :D
What's that you're eating? A nice, juicy apple? You weren't supposed to eat that you fool, you were supposed to make it into a pie! - last words recorded words of Francis D'Avre before he went looking for snowcherries, but found a hungry Yeti instead.
YetiChow

Location: Cramped between a Yeti's small intestine and its stomach... trying not to dissolve!

Postby Yurii_asdfg » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:48 pm

i got same issue with game and created a mod some time ago for domestic butchering viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10992
so far so good, you won't have bots running for wild butchering

p.s.
some sort of promo, my bad
Yurii_asdfg

Return to Bug reports