Why bother with buried towns?

Help us identify bugs by posting them here

Why bother with buried towns?

Postby gekkobear » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:52 pm

I just did a buried town, fought ghosts of past heroes, fireheads, a mess of stuff... and got some crates/chests. Not a lot, but a few.

EVERY SINGLE ONE I found had a red X, couldn't be looted examined, and therefore was useless.

Now this was my buried town, I knew the layout; these weren't crates that "fell" from a previous level. I was on the "ground" level of my fort, and that was my stockpiles.
I didn't have barrels/chests/etc above ground level when I played that town.

I'm not seeing the risk/reward as being workable here; I get a hole from lvl -1 to lvl -8 with ladders/stairs for monsters; and in return get nothing?
gekkobear

Re: Why bother with buried towns?

Postby caprontos » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:29 am

If you can upload the buried town (maybe double check it always happens) - they could probably use it to see why that would happen.. I can't think of a reason off hand atm.

I only saw red x items that did most likely fall.'

As for the point its more an alternative to the normal.
Cha Cha Cha!
caprontos

Postby muzzy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:34 am

So.... your stockpiles ... do you build your barrels from the left side menu, or from the right side menu? If you build them from the left side menu, they haven't actually been placed anywhere and the fact that they function is unintentional. You're not supposed to play that way... even though it's so goddamn more convenient in the beginning. That's the only reason I can guess for this behavior.

EDIT:
I'd like to add that I don't really see the point of buried towns. What's fun for the developer isn't necessarily fun for the player. I'm sure it was lots of fun to implement that feature though, it's something new and unusual... but how many players play in a way that makes these buried towns an enjoyable feature? Maybe there were some, those that are already bored of the game as it is, and seeing new content is fun for them. Do these people still find the buried towns to be fun? Or has the novelty of it worn off already, now that they have seen the feature and played with it a few times?
muzzy

Postby ragnar » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:02 pm

muzzy wrote:I'd like to add that I don't really see the point of buried towns. What's fun for the developer isn't necessarily fun for the player. I'm sure it was lots of fun to implement that feature though, it's something new and unusual... but how many players play in a way that makes these buried towns an enjoyable feature? Maybe there were some, those that are already bored of the game as it is, and seeing new content is fun for them. Do these people still find the buried towns to be fun? Or has the novelty of it worn off already, now that they have seen the feature and played with it a few times?

I don't understand how can you not see a point that is very simple. What is more fun? To have a empty corridors with monsters, or a full random underground town with possible loot chests, traps and less linear progression?
From the moment they implement it i use it all the time, because it simple makes dungeon part of the game more interesting and less the same as it would be without it
ragnar

Postby muzzy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:04 pm

When I tried buried towns, I got monsters spawning in unreachable places and other annoying stuff. Due to how the rendering is implemented it's very hard to see depth, and as of such it was super confusing to try to navigate that mess. The buried town wasn't very interesting at all to me, it just made it harder to clear the dungeon levels and made it more dangerous to do anything. For some reason the heroes didn't go explore the newly found areas for an hour when I dug my way into some building through a window. It was just stupid and annoying.

Once you've seen a few buried towns, it loses the novelty and it's just a hindrance that makes the playing more annoying.
muzzy

Postby Haggy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Then perhaps you may even build interesting cities. Not completely on functionality. This then buried. And then load it in the next game. There are so many beautiful cities. They just have to share. But anyway, if you do not like, what the heck. Others like it. And that's all stuff like that. The one like it, the other does not. I rarely play with buried cities. Is a change of pace from time to time.
My English is bad. Sorry, but this will not Change.

Schreib einfach in deutsch zurück ;)

Haggys Mod Comp.
Haggy

Postby Hyrus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:45 pm

There are pros and cons, though without further support the cons outweigh the pros. The first few times, it's fun to discover new cities. But the troubles it brings to navigation, the million items with an X in it (and the problems of issuing a build order and having the townie go all the way down to lvl 18 to pick something up, and die in the process), the reduced amount of ores due to vast cities and the need to use "admin commands" to destroy blocks makes it a bit annoying after a few times. When it was released I had a bit of fun, but after a few weeks I disabled buried towns in every map I created.

The last map I had with buried towns was one where I'd freed my heroes to explore a new level and right after issued an order to pave a long section of my streets. About 40 out of my 80 townies died going to pick up pavement down there, that my heroes had JUST discovered. I got frustrated and deleted the map...
Hyrus

Postby Haggy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:16 am

I could say you have done something wrong there. However, that would represent my views towards the Level Restriction as farce. Would this work on all task, you would have no door on your Dungeon build. So this does not happen. Without a door, which prevents unwanted walks, I understand your frustration here. (Hope was translated correctly)
My English is bad. Sorry, but this will not Change.

Schreib einfach in deutsch zurück ;)

Haggys Mod Comp.
Haggy

Return to Bug reports